Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Duper posted:

Amazing deal on Nook 3G + WIFI refurb right now.

Add these two to your cart

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/NOOK-3G-Wi-Fi-by-Barnes-Noble-eBook-Reader-Certified-Pre-Owned-Refurbished/5389836/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Screen-Protector-for-T-mobile-G1-MyTouch-3G/4780880/product.html?keywords=12680677&searchtype=Header for filler

Apply code: 149418

$86 shipped. With new 1.5 firmware, this is ridiculous.

go go
Got one yesterday to hack and stuff (I'm a K3 guy). At that price, it's a steal. OOS now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I am so glad I left the restricted Kindle world (K1, K2, KDX, and K3 - had em all) for the nook and nook color.

Especially since google books is ePub. Amazon better pay attention - their little restricted garden will become dangerous as consumers learn their choices are locked.

The nook is great with the 1.5 update, and the NC is an awesome piece of rooted goodness.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

madprocess posted:

What are you smoking? The Nook is just as restricted as the Kindle is. It can't even read mobipocket, an open standard.
I borrow local library books on my nooks. I buy Google books on my nooks. I buy other web ePubs on my nooks.

I wish you the best on a Kindle. The very best. That ecosystem is locked the eff down. NO thanks.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So, how long before Calibre is either bought or becomes a pay product? This guy spends countless hours on "donations?" Doesn't seem like a long term prospect, especially with the explosion of eReaders this past Christmas season...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The Nook Color is widely regarded as having one of the best mobile LCD displays out there.

Also, if you play with a regular nook in stores, make sure it's been updated to 2.5. There's nothing short of a night and day difference in operation between 2.5 and the previous version. For one, page refreshes are pretty much on par with the Kindle 3 now.
It's 1.5 but who's counting...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I actually got the idea from googling waterproof Kindle cases a while back. It seems like a fairly common thing to do for an eReader, I'm just a little surprised at how well it works with the touch screen.

I got this one for my nook color:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003Y3CJ2C/

Works great!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

BetaTested posted:

I still don't understand why that fat bitch is a spokesperson for anything. Bleh. I want her off my store pages.

I know...on top of that, it's been there forever. Very stale, B&N. We went fresh content.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Iron Squid posted:

Why does my Nook Color insist on opening up Lightroom when I plug it in?

It's probably recognizing the photos on the NC and thinking you want to import them...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

jassa posted:

After briefly being distracted by the Sony Reader Daily Edition and it's touchscreen, I'm back to trying to decide between the Pocketbook Pro 902 and the Kindle DX. Has anyone here used a Pocketbook Pro? How good are they?
Don't know anything about the Pocketbook, but I had a 950 and it sucked. I mean it was lightweight and had the pearl screen, but the 3g is locked down and the Sony store basically sucks big time. I know you can get books elsewhere.

Also, the KDX is nice, but Amazon is dragging their feet on updated firmware, ala K3. The PDF support and browser would be so much better with a K3 equivalent firmware, but Amazon isn't having it. My prediction is they have a KDX revision in the works and is close to being released, hence them stagnating on the older firmware...

So, at the end of the day, I continue gravitating back to my K3. It's just the best compromise between all the ereaders (and I've owned most...nook, Sony, Libre, etc).

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

fishmech posted:

They just released a new Kindle DX a month or so before the Kindle 3 - have you tried that one or just the original DX that didn't have a pearl screen?

I had and returned the current KDX graphite with the Pearl screen. It was just too big and heavy.

If you need it for PDF files, it's great, although here is where my frustration lies. The KDX is running old firmware (i.e. limited .pdf features and no webkit browser).

This is what I meant by Amazon is dragging it's feet...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Ara posted:

Nobody's mentioned it yet, but I love the changes made to newspapers on the new Kindle firmware. The table of contents is a million times better than it used to be. It's worth trying out for anybody who hasn't.

You speaketh the truth. It's so much better than it was. Loving it!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So you would basically need to re-foodsaver it every time you need a charge?

This is actually a very good idea for the beach...especially since the Kindle holds a charge for weeks and weeks...

Edit: Are you able to easily slide the power switch on and off?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 10, 2011

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

withak posted:

I think just about anything with batteries and circuit boards they will want to see outside of your bag.

Except for Kindles and iPads....

/platinum medallion on Delta - fly every single week and never had to remove my Kindle or iPad.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sperg Victorious posted:

http://blog.tsa.gov/2010/04/traveling-with-e-readers-netbooks-and.html

TSA blog says that you should keep it out, but my experience is that they won't always ask you to take it out.

From the link: "Great question! Electronic items smaller than the standard sized laptop should not need to be removed from your bag or their cases. It’s that simple."

?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I just ordered a 3g w/SO Friday. Haven't opened it.

It's going back and I just ordered another one at $139.

Amazon has never offered a price adjustment for me. They always say some jibberish about their prices change frequently and they are very sorry.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Some have said there was an HDTV code on the ad supported Kindle that people sold for money on eBay. People who knee-jerk over the SO Kindle being intrusive have never used one.

I'll take $20 giftcards for $10 all day long...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sporadic posted:

I thought that only the account tied to the Kindle can use the code?

I think that's how it works, but I am basing my post off of this thread:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1109862/

quote:

The Special Offers Kindle is a FABULOUS deal. Many sold their HDTV code alone on eBay for between $150-$255 (but remember, you are too late to get one of those offers now).

Sounds like Amazon fixed this and now ties SO's to the actual Kindle owner.

Fine by me. I'm not planning on selling a discount code anyway. If it's good enough (i.e. a giftcard at 1/2 off the face value) I'm in. I'm all good with that flashing across my sleep screen saver and have it disappear the instant I wake the device.

It's not like ads are dancing across the screen when you are trying to read, lol.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SpoonsForThought posted:

Even the iPad 2 is slow with large full color PDFs. I have a few from work and it's a pain for me to scroll a lot of pages because it struggles to keep up.

I have a friend who is quite a bookworm and would love to be able to browse the Internet easily in addition to book reading but who doesn't care for iPad level apps or anything, what's the general consensus about internet browsing on the ereaders that can do it?

Also, if there are any Kindle special offers users who don't plan on using their amazon coupon but would like a forums upgrade just let me know.

Which special offers coupon are you referring to? BTW, the coupons are tied to the person who owns the Kindle and are non-transferrable. I forwarded my 25% camera coupon to someone and it didn't work. They called Amazon and were told the codes are tied to the original Kindle owner and are not transferrable.

I'd be happy to send you one though...which one?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Eyecannon posted:

Just got a Nook Touch and loving it so far... makes the Kindle look like quite the beast.

Can your Nook give you 20% off a new Macbook Air? :colbert:

The Nook Touch really is neat, but my money is on Amazon as compared to B&N for long term ebook success. At least B&N saw the writing on the wall with physical books going the way of the dodo...hopefully it's a good long term play for them.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Amazon is making a shitload of money on the Kindle. When they offer a no-questions asked, yep, we'll overnight you a brand new one solution for any and all issues, it costs them nothing....and earns them some serious cred with customers.

They have it down to a science and it's working like a loving charm. B&N can only dream to be as successful.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
So, I have found the first eBook from the Kindle store that has the typeface locked. Is there a particular reason why the author of this book (The Energy Bus) mandated that the font is a light, skinny lovely font that has letter tearing (see the word "events" in the photo) and is hard as hell to read? Any way to change this font without hacking my Kindle all over the place?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I got something like that once. I sent an email to Amazon support bitching about it and they just gave me a refund.

Of course this was one of the $1 KSO promotion offer business books so I don't want to trouble myself for a buck. It's just annoying that publishers appear to have the ability to lock down their book to some lovely font and style they think looks kewl.

I will probably just delete this book as reading this font gives me a headache. Oh well, I'm sure it was a great book...

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, the book was originally published in 2007, not 1931 or something like that. It's inexcusable to have such lovely formatting, IMO. I'm not going to waste my life demanding a $1 refund, but I will certainly let Amazon know my frustration...not that it will do anything. I will also toss up a negative review just on principle.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Can Amazon pay me $30 to downgrade to the ad supported one? :what:

I exchanged my 3G K3 nonKSO version (6 months old) to a KSO hassle-free. Just chatted, said I'd like to send mine back for an ad-sponsored one. 3 minutes later, I had a return label in my email and 10 minutes later, a shipping notice for the KSO version.

Amazin-oning.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

The rooted android thread just seems to be about phones so I'll ask here. How do I root a nook color?

Second result on Google:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/guides/2011/02/howto-root-a-nook-color-to-transform-it-into-an-android-tablet.ars

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I found the mighty light to be too blue. It's distracting on my Kindle Touch. I am off to look for an actual lightbulb (not LED) that has a warm glow.

I just don't like the blue-ish hue the LEDs cast. Yes they last forever and are energy efficient, but I just don't care for them when reading.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

If anyone's looking for a cheap Kindle Keyboard: http://www.dailysteals.com/deal/3178/Kindle-Keyboard-Wi-Fi-with-6%22-E-Ink-Display

There doesn't appear to be a way to purchase it? :ohdear:

I love my KKB. Tried the touch and hated it. I will use the KB until it rots in my hands.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

sixdeadpandas posted:

Well, I just broke the screen on my 2nd Kindle 3. I buy them off craigslist so I doublt amazon is gonna help me. I was thinking about buying another, used, cheaper version and swaping the screens. Are all the e-ink, non-touch screens compatible?

If it's within the 1-yr warranty, I'd call up Amazon anyway. They shouldn't care where you got it, wether it's craigslist or Staples. They might send you a refurb on the cheep.

Worth a call, even if you aren't sure about the warranty. That's what I'd do.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Sperg Victorious posted:

I went from a kindle keyboard to the new paperwhite, but I don't know if it's really worth it to go from PW to PW2. It's still basically the same reader with minor improvements.

Had the original PW. The light was a cold blue tint and horribly uneven. Traded it in on Amazon before the PW2 launched (got $95 for it). Upgraded to the PW2 and the light tint is much warmer and natural, not to mention no splotchiness.

It is an upgrade in every way since you stare at the screen 100% of the time. Highly recommend the PW2. I do wish it had physical page turn buttons and a speaker (for audio TTS reading) though. Still hanging onto my K3 for that.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Some people are more OCD than you, it seems.

OCD doesn't kick in until you have a PW1 and PW2 side by side. I'm not sperging. The difference is apparent.

But hey if you never see a PW2 you're good to go.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

People on Ebay will often bid more than it would cost to buy something new. They get focussed on winning the auction and lose track of common sense.

EBay bucks usually.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Maneki Neko posted:

Amazon has a shitload of kindle books on sale for Cyber Monday:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_hi_2...385998804&ajr=2

In for The Prince of Tides. Grew up in SC and never read this. A crime, I tell you. Thanks for the heads-up! The professional narration is only .99 as well - and includes whisper voice sync. Not bad.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Wifi would work for sideloading books, right? Just present it as an SMB share.

Have fun teaching grandma how to set up an SMB share. I know, grandma won't be sideloading books, but a lot of people do. And a lot more don't have a clue about SMB share types of stuff.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

Uh what? No.

Then the second generation had one that mounted this way:

The third generation was the one that had the problem. It kept the hook mechanism from the second generation but added electrical contacts, which were used for the case with built in light. The problem came with people buying the non-lighted cases, which sometimes caused shorts across the contacts.as well as sometimes putting a bit too much stress on the device itself (though for some reason the lighted covers didn't).

Ok, first in his world, I guess. Maybe he's young. The hinge design was absolutely terrible, though.

/still have an OG Kindle I paid....$500 for. True story. Works great and Sprint still works, somehow.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Just put a tiny piece of electrical tape on the back or forward button. Boom, tactile feel in the dark.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

smackfu posted:

Is there any way to update the Kindle from the device?

Sure. Just leave it connected to wifi and eventually (like weeks or months) the OTA will be downloaded. Menu--Menu "update your Kindle."

Manually downloading using a computer is way faster though. I never have received a wifi delivered update...it takes forever to hit the Kindle. Just manually update.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Anyone have any ROMs they've been happy with on their Kindle Fire HD? I'm getting tired of sideloading poo poo and want to just use the drat thing like a normal tablet, but I feel like a phone setup for the OS would be kinda loving annoying on a tablet, and I actually sorta don't mind Amazon's weird bullshit setup.

Yeah, this belongs in the rooted android thread.

Fair warning. The main replies you will get will go like this:

"you should have bought a non-Fire, idiot"

"sell it and buy a proper tablet"

And so on.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Grim Up North posted:

The only thing that changed from 2013 to 2014 is that they doubled the size of the internal storage from 2 to 4GB. So make sure you get the 4GB if that's important for you.

The screen backlight is warmer too. The gen 1 PW is a hospital blue hue. The gen 2 is more like a book.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Can you expound on this a little bit?

I'll go. 4 gigs of storage. Backlit. Higher resolution.

Those are worth it for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
You can find Kindle keyboard models in pawn shops for like $19-$29 all day every day. Disposable pricing for your international trip or keep it for years. Free data.