Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/08/pr_burningquestion_ebooks/

In brief: ebooks are still new enough that there are legal and technological costs, paper copies of books aren't that expensive to make so the savings is minimal and yes, publishers still price them higher "because they’re concerned about devaluing people’s perception of books.”

That last bit sounds strange to with Borders etc. selling Top 10 books for $3 two months later, but whatever.

So they are overcharging, but they aren't complete bastards all of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Sporadic posted:

No, there really is. Can't talk about them here but there are a ton of places with a ton of ebooks (both available and unavailable in the ebook stores).

Also the number of people just breaking the DRM and distributing the book they bought is going way up compared to people actually scanning/OCRing/proofreading books (that has fallen off to books that aren't available through legal means digitally and the quality on them are usually extremely high for a fan project, almost as good as titles you can buy in the Kindle store)

Off topic: I remember a tutorial online years ago (<2000) for making comic book TPB (bookz? All illegal files had z's back then) "filez". It involved sneaking them into the book store bathroom, sitting on the handicap toilet, putting it on the floor between your feet and taking pictures with a newfangled "digital" camera. The author advised multiple trips to get all the images so it wouldn't be suspicious and had step by step photos of cropping out his feet and the bathroom tile, rotating the images to level them, etc.

"Back in my day if you wanted to steal music you had to hitchhike to the record store and shoplift it yourself..."

Hope this doesn't count as :filez:, just historical perspective. If anyone does the above to steal novels it's tantamount to retyping it themselves and I say "Shine on you crazy diamonds."

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Got my wife a Kindle for our anniversary because Audible.com worked fine for me until last night when I was listening to The Devil You Know and had no idea what a "zarastanie greatcoat" was. Previewed the first few pages on Amazon.com, realized it was "czarist army greatcoat". Bought the book on the Kindle immediately, read four chapters, bought myself a Kindle (which I get tomorrow).

I used to be a novel or two a week guy from elementary through high school, mostly scifi or western or mystery pulp, but some great classics as well. A college degree in English ruined reading for me for a while and I'm just starting to pick up steam again.

Since the new Kindle will be mine, and I'm a hopeless tinkerer, I'll jailbreak it. Are there any font suggestions, or should I stick with what this ridiculously well-produced font personality test tells me? (stupid, but fun and the fonts are gorgeous)
http://www.pentagram.com/what-type-are-you/

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

A little late, but I just got mine today. Some screensavers I made.

If you like the idea of ye olde EX LIBRIS bookplates on yer newfangled electronic book device, I have ~4,500 for your perusal (formatting up to you):
http://picasaweb.google.com/JeremiahBritt

(Don't hate me for the papyrus font, it was the closest I could find on my computer to the original.)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Duckman2008 posted:

These are loving awesome, especially the beer one. Please more people post their screen savers, i suck at photoshop myself.

Don't have to be good at photoshop; as a proof of concept I went to Wordle, pasted the complete text of The Yellow Wallpaper (it's in the public domain) and-- after resizing it slightly in XnView Portable--got this:

Or you could just search for typographic art.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Don't know about the best, but if you go to the Kindle store and look for free books, you'll have to wade past pages and pages of romance novels.

Roll them dice for Kindle screensavers.

Also, the only good arguments for paper books (or color ebook readers):

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

My Kindle's been freezing and/or rebooting itself fairly regularly. Thought I had a bad unit, but apparently it's the official leather (nonlighted) case that may be the culprit.

I'm going to try it with it off and see if I keep having the issue, but considering--if that is the problem--that it's been shorting out repeatedly for three days, I may exchange it anyway.

Anyone else have issues?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

RockSmart posted:

The hinges are used to provide power to the light in the cover with the built in lamp. Are the hinges in yours conductive?

Yeah, that seems to be the issue. The non-lit cover still has metal hinges (painted black), but they only barely come in contact when the cover is closed or in rare occasions when it is open. The cover still has >1,000 5-star reviews, so either my cover or the Kindle itself is the odd man out.

Just an FYI if anyone else is having issues; some of the people on the Amazon discussion had exchanged their units 3 or more times.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Mathlete posted:

A recent article in the Wall Street Journal announces the imminent launch of a Google E-Book store called Google Editions:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704369304575632602305759466.html?mod=djemalertTECH#articleTabs%3Darticle

I hope that there will be a way to download files of the books purchased from Google Editions to a device that can't connect to the internet. But even if the ebooks are confined to the cloud I think I would still use this service on my laptop over the Nook and Kindle software. This sounds very lucrative for Google and very convenient for readers who want access to hard-to-find books.

It's live-ish (the intro video is currently private?).

http://books.google.com/help/ebooks/overview.html

Supported devices:

quote:

Web browsers. You can read Google eBooks on any browser with JavaScript enabled.

Smartphones. You can download and install the Google Books reading app for free on any US Android phone (version 2.1 (Eclair) or later) or on the iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad. (iOS 3.0 or later).

eReader devices. Google eBooks can be read with any dedicated eBook reader that supports the Adobe eBook platform, including the Barnes & Noble Nook™ and Readers™ from Sony. More than 85 devices support the Adobe eBook platform today including Reader™ from Sony devices (PRS-300 - PRS-700), Aluratek Libre, Astak EZ Reader, Barnes & Noble Nook™ and Nook Color™, BeBook, Bookeen, COOL-ER, Elonex eBook, HanLin eBook, IREX Digital Reader, Neolux Nuut, and more. Please see the full list of Adobe eBook Platform supported devices.

Amazon Kindle. Currently, Google eBooks are not compatible with Amazon Kindle devices, though we are open to supporting them in the future.

No Kindle, :(. But hopefully soon. I would assume Amazon wouldn't want the competition, but B&N and Apple seem fine with it.

The web reader is pretty nice, just as simple and clean as the rest of the Google aesthetic.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 6, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

subx posted:

I think Amazon would prefer to have the book sales than even the Kindle sales. As indicated by their willingness to support things like iPad/Android tablets. I can't imagine they are making that much money off Kindle's ($130 can't be that much more than manufacturing cost), but it does get it out there so they sell more books.

I don't forsee a "deal" coming. Unless Google prices are way cheaper and/or selection is more extensive, I'm not too concerned about it anyways.

Mostly I'm hoping for compatibility with multiple stores to catch the odd book that's on one and not the other, as well as to take advantage of pricing differences/sales in the various markets.

I purged our home library last night, getting rid of mass market paperbacks of public domain works and getting the Gutenberg versions. Only got rid of ~50 out of ~700 (kept the ones with pretty covers), but now I can actually get some of the books off the floor of our library room. I don't think being a book hoarder is a bad thing (will never recover because I will never admit I have problem), but we are looking to move in a year or two and those drat boxes get heavy.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Was getting frustrated with the clunky controls for adding things to collections on the Kindle itself, found Kindelabra. Simple and does what it says much easier, although it didn't add one book to a collection the first time I tried it (user error). "Very beta", but worth a look.

Kindelabra can be found here.

Other options, including "automatic" collection creation based on calibre metadata or Kindle file structure, can be found here (bottom of page).

Last link also compiles links to all the major Kindle Hacks and may be useful in the op, with some kind of "you might break your kindle stupid (but not really)" disclaimer.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 23, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Kaboobi posted:

Oh hey I think my girlfriend might be having this problem, her kindle keeps freezing and losing what page she was on. I told her to remove the case and we'll see how it works after that.

If it is that, just email customer support and link to the amazon discussion I posted.

I now have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042AM7JQ/ref=oss_product

Here's another alternative, comes with extra cables, screen protector, wristband (???):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004289Z5W/ref=oss_product

Circle Nine posted:

I was thinking of buying an official lighted case for my kindle, are there any problems that are known with that one? :ohdear:

I have seen some reports of this in my questionably useful internet research, but fewer than the unlit cover, which itself seems to be rare. So it's probably worth a gamble if you really like it, and you'll be forewarned in the rare case where you have issues.

EDIT: Separate topic, but didn't want to double post my way into probation land.

Amazon now has Kindle for the Web, which enables you to read book samples and previews in-browser. I'm hoping they expand it to allow you to read complete books you have purchased to compete with Google Books, but that's just blind optimism.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000579091&tag=gmgamzn-20

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 7, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > YES (Your eReader Sucks)

Have some Egon Schiele screen savers. I think they work on Nooks and Kindles.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Do people that strip the library DRM really "return" the book after that?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I meant people that don't have an epub device that have to strip DRM to covert it.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I am a terrible person who does not write clearly.

Do people who strip the DRM from library ebooks to convert for use on other readers follow the spirit of library loans and delete the files when they would have originally expired?

I would try to, but historically I've had to wait weeks or months for audio or epub books from my library, and it always seems like More Embarrassing SciFi Adventures: Book II of the Virginity Quest comes in before Book I: Escape from the Basement.

I understand the reasoning behind DRM (although I believe you should always make it easier for people to buy and use things legally than just pirate), but a limited number of digital copies at a publicly funded library never made sense to me.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bottom Liner posted:

Quoting this for hope of a solution.

There is nothing that I know of, either through the vanilla options or a hack. You could register and suggest it on the MobileRead Kindle dev subforum. I do not see why it would be complicated to implement an on/off hotkey, just that it hasn't been a hack in high demand.

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a reserved post under the OP. Should I post people's screen saver's there?

Yes please.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

tonelok posted:

Libraries have to purchase individual copies of physical books, and the publishers aren't just going to let them buy one copy of a ebook and distribute to as many people as they want. Library sales aren't as big as Amazon or B&N, but they are still sales, and publishers are still going to get money from them.

Makes sense in a way. Read a bit more of what I could find, and licensing is the biggest issue regarding ebooks (unlimited digital copies would require a pay per circulation model which would be untenable for any library; physical copies of popular books can be lent out 50 or more times a year, with turn-around time maximized by waiting lists and honest and prompt patrons). I also found out it is, and may be for some time, illegal for them to loan out ebook readers. The hardware is not an issue, but the software licenses prevent renting or lending.

I do wish there was an easy way to donate ebook licenses, just as there is with the old board and paper variety. With no storage limitations, they would only be bound by whatever guidelines for quality and appropriateness they have in place.

Apropos of nothing, here's an illuminated manuscript page from The C Writyng Langage (The C Programming Language).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Craptacular! posted:

I have a book in no-DRM PDF, except every chapter of the book is a separate PDF.

Adding the files one by one causes Calibre to treat them as different books. I thought if I created an empty book and then threw the PDF's in it's folder it might snap to and add them, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Do this first?
http://www.mergepdf.net/

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I think it can tell what's plugged into it and will automatically convert when you send the files to the Kindle (no need to pre-convert). It did with me anyway.

Otherwise click on Preferences>(Conversion)Common Options>Page Setup

Choose Kindle in the top box.

Calibre is extremely powerful, unfortunately it's GUI is terrible and some of the more useful functions have to be done via command window (calibredb catalog export.csv).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Guilty posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to make .doc files into .pdf?

vvv oh sweet, thanks!

If this is for Calibre, RTF works as well.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I told you guys. :colbert:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20026116-1.html

Cnet posted:

Amazon promises to replace problem Kindle covers, look into issue
by David Carnoy

If you have a new Kindle and have poked around for a cover for your device, you may have noticed some diverging user reviews on Amazon non-lighted Kindle Leather cover. While the cover has many five-star reviews, there are over 100 one-star reviews claiming the cover has problems that cause the device to freeze or reboot itself.

In a recent review, for example, customer Gunjan Srivastava writes:
I bought a kindle 3 (Wifi Only) about 3 months back and was using it without any trouble. Then, I bought this leather cover and suddenly my kindle ran into all sorts of problems. The screen froze frequently, kindle rebooted itself more than 4-5 times daily. I don't think it's a good idea to buy this product before amazon gets its act together. They have certainly not done a good job with this cover. I am going to replace this cover as soon as possible. My two cents - DON'T buy this cover.

Apparently, the more expensive lighted cover ($59.99), which we really like, isn't causing any problems and some users have speculated that the metal hooks on the non-lighted cover are the culprit. Those hooks conduct electricity and power the lighted case but obviously don't need to power anything on the non-lighted version. We don't know whether Amazon uses the same hooks on both cases or whether there might have been some sort of mix up in the production process. But either way, according to a PCmag.com article, Amazon said it's looking into the problem, but will honor return or exchange requests.

"There have been some forum discussions regarding the non-lighted Kindle cover, and our engineering team is looking into this," the company said in an email statement that was also posted to its customer forum where users were complaining. "Regardless, if anyone is having any problem with an Amazon-manufactured Kindle cover, please contact us at kindle-response@amazon.com, and we will be pleased to replace it for free or accept a return for a full refund, no matter when the cover was purchased."

It's worth noting that Amazon had an issue last year with its Kindle cover for the second-generation Kindle. Some customers complained the metal hooks that held the Kindle in place were causing the Kindle to crack where the hooks attached to the device. Amazon resolved that problem after a customer filed a $5 million class action lawsuit.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

sirbeefalot posted:

Is there a listing of different Kindle hacks out there somewhere? There's not really anything in particular that I want to do; I'm just curious as far as what can be done, really. I've done the custom screensaver hack, and I've seen font hacks, is that it?

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Hacks_Information

I use Kindleabra to organize my ridiculous collection.

SLOSifl posted:

I kind of hope there aren't too many hacks for it. I love the screen on my Kindle, and the only reason I can sit down and actually use it for reading is that it's not a multi-function device. poo poo, I spent like 3 hours this week hacking and tweaking my phone just because I could. If I was trying to read a book, and could easily check my email, play some games, browse the web and hack the thing, I would never make it through a book in a reasonable amount of time. I am very easily distracted if the distractions are in my hand.

Whoops.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Mnemosyne posted:

Replying to a semi-old post, but where did you get all of these from? Some of these bookplates are kind of hosed up.

Collected over the years, either from art websites or from digital collections various libraries have made available. Yeah, many of them are surreal, a lot have rather explicit nudity. Some are just hosed. I suppose having a woodcut nude in the front cover of your book would help remind people to return it to you when they were done borrowing it.

Factory Ten posted:

I do have the leather case. Does this create a problem?

If I turn on wireless, doesn't that become a huge battery drain?
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20026116-1.html

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

If someone can find bigger versions of these images they would make great screensavers:
http://www.grabink.com/ASP/gallery.asp?category=rel

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Trig Discipline posted:

People keep saying stuff like this, but I've read on my NC for hours at a time with no problem at all. Either I have positively herculean eyes, or this issue is way over-exaggerated.

I assume it's like the difference between 500 and 750 thread count sheets. One is obviously softer than the other if you compare them side by side, but it's not like the coarser of two extremely soft sheets is going to sandpaper your skin off.

And thanks SUPER IRAN-CONTRA, I'll load those up tonight.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

njbeachbum posted:

I have a kindle and my wife was sharing it. She put some books on there that she is still reading. She received a kindle as a gift. Is there anyway to transfer the books to her kindle or does she have to re-purchase them?

As long as you register the new one to the same account you can go to "Manage Your Kindle" in the account section of Amazon.com and transfer them to the new kindle without rebuying. If you set up syncing it will even put her back on the pages she was reading.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Kilometers Davis posted:

I tried that but it still wouldn't let me past that screen. No big deal, it's fully charged now and that should last me a good 500 years.

I've noticed it only works if I go to My Computer and eject it via the drives list, as fordan says. Calibre's eject doesn't work.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Has anyone here played text adventures on the Kindle (or other platform) yet? I still visit Baf's and Xyzzy semi-annually and rediscover one of my favorite game formats. I know some of the games can kind of be played online, but is there a z-code/tads interpreter for Kindle that anyone's discovered?

Alternatively, does anyone understand any of the above paragraph?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Vertigus posted:

You can give this a shot: http://adq.livejournal.com/108011.html

Thanks, worked like a charm!

Now I just need interpreters for the 30 other IF platforms that exist for some reason. This one plus books should keep me busy for a while though.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, they probably won't. I'm surprised that even made it into a firmware update, though. Do people really expect e-books to match the same pages as another edition? And, if so, which one? It's not like hardbacks and paperbacks use the same numbering, either (barring trade paperbacks), and I don't think anybody really cares about it with those.

One of my teacher friends discovered that it was cheaper to purchase a Kindle and the ebook versions of his textbooks than to purchase the physical textbooks, even used.

Page numbers are often referenced instead of chapters or sections in college courses, especially in writing, pedagogy or literature courses (where a different edition can seriously screw you up).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00403MNSK?ie=UTF8&tag=blackga-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00403MNSK

Beer Is Proof God Loves Us: Reaching for the Soul of Beer and Brewing [Kindle Edition] free right now.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

There's reportedly a working Kindle 3.1 jailbreak being tested.

yifanlu on the MobileRead forums posted:

Ok, so I was bored today and decided to try to jailbreak the 3.1 kindle. My tools were the 3.1 otaup (modified to run on my mac) and the Kindle signing tools. After hours of trying different methods, I have finally managed to create a update package that passes the verification tests in 3.1 otaup. However, my Kindle isn't on 3.1 yet, so I can't test it. If anyone's feeling risky PM me and I'll let you beta test it (if I believe you're trustworthy).

I'm not going to release it until Amazon "officially" releases 3.1 (so they don't patch it last second). The bug I'm exploiting is a weird bug in the otaup script that deals with filenames. Again, I believe my linux sh knowledge is fairly good, but the script is completely untested so if you want to risk it, send me a PM and I'll let you test it.

This is great because I didn't want to deal with the nightmare going through USBNetworking.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Gravy Jones posted:

Can you buy Kindles from stores in the US? If so is it is it the sort of thing some tax/duty-free stores at airports might have?

My folk are visiting the UK at the moment, but are popping over to New York for a few days and if I could get it at US prices + duty free that would be a pretty good deal, but I have no idea if they're available anywhere other than online.

They have them at Target and Staples (and possibly other office supply stores).

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

withak posted:

Who is picky enough to not want to shop for books at the airport but goes to the airport with nothing to read?

People who have a layover and then get bumped to a flight four hours later than they were planning, or someone who scheduled a chauffeur or taxi service ahead of time and arrived at the airport to discover their flight was extremely delayed. I normally sleep on planes, but I'm way to paranoid to sleep in an airport and miss them switching gates or whatever.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Centipeed posted:

Using paper books as a guide for how you make eBooks available is ridiculous.

Edit: There needs to be a major eBook publisher that authors can go to, get a higher cut, have the books sold at a lower price, and which treats the customer better. Like Steam for eBooks.

Amazon gives authors 70% royalties as long as the price of the ebook is between $2.99 and $9.99. I heard originally that it would also have to be 20% or more below the lowest price of a physical copy, but I can't find that on their site now.

http://forums.kindledirectpublishing.com/kdpforums/entry.jspa?externalID=393

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I'm not sure how that would work, due to the oddness of where the numbers would be displayed depending on what your font size was.

code:
      LADY MACBETH 
 35    Out, damned spot! out, I say!—One: two: why, 
 36    then, 'tis time to do't.—Hell is murky!—Fie, my 
 37    lord, fie! a soldier, and afeard? What need we 
 38    fear who knows it, when none can call our power 
 39    to account?—Yet who would have thought the old 
 40    man to have had so much blood in him?
vs

code:
      LADY MACBETH 
 35    Out, damned spot! 
out, I say!—One: two: why, 

36    then, 'tis time to 
do't.—Hell is murky!—Fie, 
my 

37    lord, fie! a soldier,
 and afeard? What need we 

38    fear who knows it, 
when none can call our 

(etc).
I think your best bets are to make your own, pdfs (ugh) or http://www.shakespeare-navigators.com/ (e.g. http://www.shakespeare-navigators.com/ado/AdoText11.html ) or similar simple (text mostly/only) website.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Centipeed posted:

Do you think there'd be enough interest / knowledge for a thread specifically devoted to cheap and decent books available on the Amazon and B&N book stores?

There are a lot of cheap books on Amazon, and most of them are probably crap, but there might be some real gems in there, and the Kindle store is terrible for finding that stuff.

Might want to combine a thread with a public Google spreadsheet so that people can quickly see reviewed books and sort by genre, quality, etc. Like the iPhone Jailbreaking "what apps work, what don't" sheet. (If only to make updating the OP easier.)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

For SciFi nerds: Iain M. Banks's Consider Phlebas (first in the Culture series) is 99¢ this month for all ebook formats.

http://www.orbitebooks.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Centipeed posted:

Your post, and the Consider Phlebas deal being American only, has made me realise that I may not be the best person to start a thread for Kindle / Nook deals, since I'm in the UK and might not be able to verify a lot of them.

There's going to be a point in the future where people find out that in 2010 online stores were limited to different countries, and they'll think it's the stupidest thing they've ever heard, but unfortunately that time is not now.

Here's a good solution/resource (can set region, e.g. UK or USA):

http://www.ereaderiq.com/

Via http://lifehacker.com/#!5790152/ereaderiq-is-a-complete-database-of-free-and-discounted-ebooks-on-amazon.

Lifehacker posted:

If you want to see a complete listing of Amazon's free Kindle books, eReaderIQ will do that for you and more.

Amazon offers a lot of Kindle books for free on their site, even excluding the public domain ones. eReaderIQ is an easy-to-browse database of all of Amazon's free offerings at any given time, and it's update hourly—meaning you have a large, accurate list to browse for completely free reading material. You don't need to sign up or anything, you can just head over and start browsing. Clicking on a book will take you to its Amazon page, from which you can send it right to your Kindle (or other device running Kindle software).

eReaderIQ also has a neat alerts feature, where you can track other books on Amazon and get alerted to when their price drops. You can import your Amazon.com wish list, or just paste in its URL on the price tracker. Then, just give it your email and the price drop you'd like to be notified for (e.g. entering $1 would alert you when the book's price drops by $1). It's pretty handy when a book is a bit more expensive than you'd like, or when it's actually more expensive than the physical copy.

Don't know if there's something similar for Nook et al.