Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Install Gentoo posted:

As if you publishers actually proofread ebooks either.

I'm finding typos in Watership Down. Come on man! Watership Down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Why the hell can I buy a paperback book from Amazon.com but not an e-book? It's not like they have to work harder to ship an intangible object to Canada. I mean, I see the thread title, I just don't understand why it's this way. It's not a rare book or anything, I saw two or three copies at the local bookstore this morning.

Like, if I went online in a US library or something, would they let me buy it, or would my Canadian credit card and Amazon account restrict me? I just want to read Good Omens, man.

Can I petition someone or anything? Start a book protest?

(Aside from this minor stumbling block, I just got a Kobo not three weeks ago and I adore it. Finally I can carry all the books I want to read on a vacation, without it taking up half my luggage!)

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

El Hefe posted:

Just buy a gift card in the US shop, that's what I do.

It doesn't seem to work for me. It's not the location of the computer I'm using so much as the country my account is registered to.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there any way to buy more than one book at once on the Kobo website? Like a 'cart' option or something? I'm picking up some Discworld books and would really rather buy them all in a single transaction than purchase them one by one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
My e-reader has definitely not saved me any money on books. In the old days, I was restricted by the selection at my local bookstore, tempered by how many books I could carry home (no car). Now the system is more like Steam where I casually think of the name of an author, and I wake up ten minutes later with my credit card in one hand and their entire bibliography in the other. It's insidious. The other factor is that I now get through books much faster as well. Most of my reading is done away from home, so instead of finishing a book and waiting to go home before I start another, I just hammer straight through from one to the next.

Now I am broke.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Has anyone given the Kobo Glo a try? My Touch has been acting up on me, so I'm considering an upgrade. And not having to mess around with clip on lights anymore is tempting...

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I admit I've never really been concerned with the lack of a password-protect on my Kobo. I just can't imagine anyone doing something nefarious with it. What are they going to do, read my books? On the other hand, it usually stays in my purse so it's not like it's laying around all the time anyway.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Don't worry, there's still the Kobo!

Other people still use the Kobo, right?

... Right?

:(

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I originally went with Kobo because it was the "Canadian" option (I seem to remember Amazon.ca having a really underwhelming selection or something? ) and by now it's been a few years and it's too late to switch over. I am not re-rebuying all them ebooks.

Also I like my Kobo.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I fell out of the E-reader game for a few years, what are the Kobos like these days?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Kobo Libra 2 is the perfect machine (for me), good battery life, holds all my books, overdrive, pocket, PDF support, and reads manga pretty well. Also the physical buttons and form factor mean I can comfortably read books with my left hand and eat snacks with my right hand, a dream I've been chasing since high school.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Physical page turn buttons are fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
nooo I just got my new Libra 2 last year I can neither afford nor justify the beautiful colour verison
which would make all my comics look nice