Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

Capnbigboobies posted:

I would like to point out I am already having issues with my Nook Color. The touch screen seems to have a mind of its own and stops responding. I don't know if its a software issue, a bad touch screen or if its from excessive finger prints. Wiping it off seems to stop it, but that could just be in my head.

Really I am not a greasy fingered goon! I fear they will be out of stock tomorrow when I go to exchange it.

Stop eating pizza while using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I'm getting a Nook Color for Christmas. Honestly, I'd be happy with just the basic device, but if it gets rooted I will be even happier. Being able to read Y the Last Man on that thing would be perfect.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Trig Discipline posted:

I'm really, really digging mine. I can definitely see things that need to be improved, but if they stay on the ball with the Nook Color like they have with the regular Nook it's going to be an amazing little device. So far my main complaints are that you can't highlight and make notes in PDFs (which is a big issue for me) and video play back is not at all smooth (which is a much less significant issue). Both of those things are fixable, so here's hoping!

Great to hear man, I'm excited. I played with one at B&N for a little while and I definitely liked the heft and feel of it. Everything seemed pretty smooth to me but the only video I watched was the demo one it had on it.

7" is perfect for me. The iPad is way too big, I think. I really just want something I can use to read books and comics and watch the occasional episode of Community or Parks & Rec on while I'm in between classes. So I can't wait to throw this thing in my little messenger bag.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
How often do you guys read pdf's? I only deal with them when reading a restaurant's menu online sometimes.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Is someone really going to ask about PDF support every other post?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

This thing is pretty cool.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I know it really isn't the point of this thread but thanks to whoever linked that Wordle site. I used it to make this poster for my brother for christmas.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2eg7ac3&s=7

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Any update on the Nook Color root? I'm getting mine for Christmas and I'd like a one-button root.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I just got a Nook Color for christmas. I bought Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson while on my computer and downloaded the epub file. But when I put it on my Nook, it doesn't show the cover it just has the little blue rectangle with "Midnight Tides" in it. Is there a way to get it to show the cover?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Yeah I have a Nook Color and I just used it to read Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson. I read probably 200-250 pages a night and my eyes are perfectly fine.

Also, maybe because I'm not lazy, but I stick it on the charger every night before I go to sleep. I don't leave it laying around for a week and complain about battery life.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

theBeaz posted:

Can't remember if I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but my Nook Color is almost always on the lowest brightness (unless I'm in a bright area in which case I'll nudge it up slightly) and I invert the color so it's white text on a black background. Anyone that is concerned about eyestrain NEEDS to try this mode. Having a bright white screen with little black text might be frustrating for some... invert it and it's simply wonderful.

How do I go about doing that? I tried to figure it out real quick the other day but I couldn't find the setting and then I forgot about it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Armed Neutrality posted:

I don't think laziness has much to do with the appeal of long battery life.

No one is ever too far away from a plug for any extended period of time for battery life to be relevant

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I just want to chime in again and say I am loving my Nook Color. I've read Midnight Tides and now I'm almost finished with The Bonehunters. I've had no eye strain or issues with the battery whatsoever.

My only real problem is that I have 5 or 6 other books on there that I want to read but I have to finish my current series first.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Virigoth posted:

I'm a book behind you. loving love these books. I can't wait to finish so I can get in the Book Barn thread and read all the theories and find the poo poo I missed that people noticed and then start sperging on my own.

Finishing Bonehunters at 2am and immediately buying the next book is never going to get old. I'm trying to finish all of them before The Crippled God comes out in a few a weeks.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
I'm trying to decide if I should root my nook color today. Obviously an update would reverse the root right? I'd have to wait for them to figure that out again.

The only thing I'm kind of concerned about is that I like the way my books sit on the dock on screen and since I really only use it to read books, should I even bother rooting it. I do have the scott pilgrim trades that I'd like to read but other than that, what's the big advantage?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Boba Fettuccine posted:

I'm in the same boat, buddy, except for me it's Y the Last Man and The Walking Dead trades. Rooting looks awesome, and I love to mod gadgets, but it looks like most of the functionality rooting provides will be out in later NC updates (I suppose its all rumored at this point.)

Is there any possibility that future Nook Color updates could brick a rooted NC? I suppose that's the one thing I'm hesitant about since the Nook Color updates automatically. I do want a more fully function tablet, but not at the expense of having a $250 paper weight.

Yeah really the only thing I would root for would be Android Comic Viewer. I can already play videos on it and read books, so that's the only other thing I'm looking for.

That being said, I'm sure it'll be added either next month or March so I figure I can wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:

Murodese posted:

Sure, assuming the nook loads pictures as books the same way as the kindle. If not, it's pretty trivial to add code to package it back into a cbz if it needs that. Just change the devicefolder as required.

How do I run the different commands? I just want it to download One Piece and Bleach, but it's only downloading the latest 2-3 issues. How do I get it to download the whole thing. I see where you say "run mangatraders --manga id --copy" but I can't figure out where I'm supposed to type that it.