Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I just got a Kindle and I'm loving it. Can someone tell me exactly what Calibre lets me do and why I should use it? So far, I've gotten all my books in the Kindle store, even when I was just reading on my iPad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Solvency posted:

Calibre allows you to convert non amazon style files (epub or other comic files) to a mobi format usable on your kindle. This is particularly useful if you are getting books from some of the many free book sites out there (google books, gutenberg, ect.).

If you are just downloading stuff from the Kindle store though, you will have no real reason to use Calibre.

Ah, good to know, I've only read Gutenberg stuff online so far. I might just give this a try, thanks!

Wengy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 19, 2010

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Ara posted:

Yeah, I actually really like the Kindle's highlighting. If it's an Amazon-bought book, you can load up Kindle for PC and see and jump to all the bits you've highlighted on the Kindle.

How do I get it to do this? The Kindle App on my Mac isn't showing the Notes & Highlights I've made on my Kindle. I've already turned on Annotations Backup in the Kindle menu.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Ara posted:

It was totally automatic for me, just right-click the book and "My Notes and Annotations". Try deleting and re-downloading the book?

Weird, now some of my notes are showing up in the Kindle apps on my iPhone and iPad, but only some. Maybe I should just leave the Kindle's Wifi on a bit longer, so it can sync everything?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Ara posted:

I never turn mine off, and the only people who ever posted in the last thread with syncing problems of any kind were ones who turned their wireless off when not using it, so it's probably that.

Got it; I'll turn it on and keep it on when I get home tonight :)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

So how normal is freezing on the Kindle? Mine just had a weird issue where text from the previous page was stil faintly visible after page turns, which made me freak out. Thankfully, a hard reset fixed it. Still, kind of unnerving. Does this happen often?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

fishmech posted:

That's not an issue or freezing. The only way to keep the faint remnant of previous text off the e-ink screen at all times is to do 2 full refreshes every page turn, and that of course would double page turn time.

Huh? No, it was definitely an issue. The screen basically displayed two pages at once, making the book illegible. It had never done so before and a hard reset fixed it. I've seen some information on this kind of bug online and I was wondering how prevalent it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

fishmech posted:

Which is it - faintly visible or illegible? You said the first time that it was faintly visible, that's common and isn't a problem.

What you are describing now is not an issue of faintly visible.

After the page turn, the previous page sort of persisted on the new page, albeit faintly. As a result, the new page became illegible or at least very hard to read, since the previous page was still visible. A hard reset fixed this and now I'm wondering how common this issue is.