Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I just got my Nook Color today, and it seems pretty awesome so far. My one complaint is that it doesn't currently seem to be possible to make notes on PDFs, although maybe I just haven't figured out how to finger my Nook correctly to make it do what I want.

*snicker*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

I'm getting a Nook Color for Christmas. Honestly, I'd be happy with just the basic device, but if it gets rooted I will be even happier. Being able to read Y the Last Man on that thing would be perfect.

I'm really, really digging mine. I can definitely see things that need to be improved, but if they stay on the ball with the Nook Color like they have with the regular Nook it's going to be an amazing little device. So far my main complaints are that you can't highlight and make notes in PDFs (which is a big issue for me) and video play back is not at all smooth (which is a much less significant issue). Both of those things are fixable, so here's hoping!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

Great to hear man, I'm excited. I played with one at B&N for a little while and I definitely liked the heft and feel of it. Everything seemed pretty smooth to me but the only video I watched was the demo one it had on it.

7" is perfect for me. The iPad is way too big, I think. I really just want something I can use to read books and comics and watch the occasional episode of Community or Parks & Rec on while I'm in between classes. So I can't wait to throw this thing in my little messenger bag.

Yeah, the video thing is weird. The video that comes with it plays very smoothly, but nothing else that I load onto it does. I haven't worked out whether there's a format issue or something, and really haven't messed with it at all beyond trying to copy a few things over and finding that they didn't play well.

e: You know what? I went back and tried to play the video that was skippy before, and it played just fine. Maybe it just had to get to know me first.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 24, 2010

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cael posted:

So I had what's probably a stupid question: can the Nook Color change orientation on the fly by turning it as an iPad would? I see all the things Calibre has for converting CBR/CBZ files which makes me excited to read comics on it. But I wondered if anyone has actually had some hands on experience with this feature. Mainly, if I get to a splash page am I able to turn the Nook and have it fill the screen or am I stuck with a really small image that I can't get a look at it because the top/bottom of the screen are just black.

My experience so far has been that it does this with pdfs but does not seem to do it with epubs or Nook books.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Maybe your twilight collection lacks pictures but plenty science or finance nonfiction books contain a host of black and white diagrams and small illustrations. I'm sure there are other types too but I'm specifically referring to the manchildren books I read.

Yeah the main reason I care about pictures is because I read a lot of scientific and statistical papers and books that have tables and graphs. FWIW, Calibre seems absolutely clueless about converting tables, and just wrecks the formatting on them so that they're completely indecipherable. It's not keen on equations or figures either.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Badass

The nook color is getting Android 2.2 and the Android Marketplace in January officially from Barnes and Noble.

That makes it even relevant to Kindle people since you'll be able to run the Kindle app on it.

This has instantly become the best Android tablet on the market. I wonder though how they are going to handle the lack of physical buttons.

Awesome. I talked to one of their tech support people about opening it up to the entire Android market and he said he didn't think they were going to. Glad he was wrong!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Stop ruining my boner with your stupid facts.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

madprocess posted:

Calibre is free, will convert any PDF you have into Kindle or Epub formats, and allow you to preview the resulting conversion in a simulation of the target device screen as well as tweak the conversion as necessary. Give that a try and see hwo acceptable it is.

I've had some success with this, but it really gets wiggy when you start converting books that have a lot of images or, even worse, tables of text.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Nook Color, they pushed out a new software update that broke my wifi. I called for support and they helped me do a full reset without telling me that that's what we were doing, or that it would delete all my files. Thanks, dicks.

I have everything backed up and can put it back on, but it does seem that you should perhaps say to a customer "hey, this is going to delete all of your stuff" before you walk them through the procedure that will delete all of their stuff.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Capnbigboobies posted:

EDIT: I still think the NC is good for 250 bones.

For 250 it's great. There are definitely things I'd change given my druthers, but overall it's pretty drat sweet.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I haven't bothered rooting mine yet. Basically I plan to wait and see what B&N is going to make available when they open their app store, and root the Nook if I'm not satisfied.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PhillyLucky posted:

Im just going to repost this question from a page or two ago that got lost in the shuffle a bit.

Our brand new Nook Color is not getting a good wireless signal. It wont keep a signal if I walk 20 feet from the router in the next room. In that same room we have a laptop and iphones that constantly get perfect reception. I installed the new software and it didnt help at all. Should I take it back and see if it is faulty? or should I assume this is an issue between the Nook color and my router?

All I can tell you is that it's not a problem I've had. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

FidgetyRat posted:

The color nook looks like I'd get a headache from it in 10 minutes. Always amusing to me how much these companies glorify eink displays, then go make an LCD model, but I could see how it would be a nice ipad imitation if rooted. Just wouldn't want one as a reader.

People keep saying stuff like this, but I've read on my NC for hours at a time with no problem at all. Either I have positively herculean eyes, or this issue is way over-exaggerated.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I did play around with the demo in Best Buy and it looked terrible.

Talked to a friend who owns one and loves it, he thought maybe it just looks terrible under the fluorescent lights that Best Buy uses?

Maybe. I've read mine in high light and low light conditions, and it was fine both ways. It doesn't look as smooth or as crisp as eInk, obviously, but that is not a prerequisite for reading and in my experience does not produce noticeable eyestrain. I'm quite glad to trade off the decrease in text smoothness for all the other things the Nook Color does well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Daric posted:

How do I go about doing that? I tried to figure it out real quick the other day but I couldn't find the setting and then I forgot about it.

I just figured this out myself. In a book, poke the screen to bring up the menu, then select "text". There's a little field there that says "normal". You can poke that and then scroll to select other display options. The option he's talking about is "night".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In case anyone was wondering, you can use the Nook Color inside a freezer bag just fine if you want to read in the tub, the pool, or the rain. Touch screen works perfectly.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Do you ever read a sentence and have it occur to you that you're reading something that someone from the past could not possibly understand?

This:

quote:

I managed to start bluetooth on nookie froyo, BT scan is working well(on command line), sometimes it shows devices in the android gui.

Would be complete gibberish to someone from only a few decades ago, and yet it makes perfect sense to me. Amazing.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Centipeed posted:

This only amazes me until I consider that the 80s (For example) also had plenty of phrases that would be out of place 20 years before.

Well sure. It's just one of those moments where the amount of transformation that has occurred within my own lifetime is thrown into stark relief, and it just kinda makes me go "whoa".

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

I found this cool and pretty drat funny, adding it to the OP.

I actually got the idea from googling waterproof Kindle cases a while back. It seems like a fairly common thing to do for an eReader, I'm just a little surprised at how well it works with the touch screen.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

boo_radley posted:

The screen does pretty well, and youtube performs well for movies. When I'm near my PC, I'll see if I can get the movies app to work on it.

It seems like all of the Youtube videos I go to on my NC are displayed with ultra-lovely resolution, even those that have decent resolution when viewed on a PC. I think that Youtube thinks my NC is a cell phone. Do you know of a way to fix it by any chance?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

t_bright posted:

I love my kindle. Just letting you guys know that the I believe the B&N ebook store is a cluttered, bloated mess. I could not navigate it whatsoever, Amazon is a lot more intuitive for all your online ebook stuff :v:

Totally. Like on Amazon you enter the name of a book you're interested in, hit search, and then it comes right up. Whereas with B&N you enter the name of a book you're interested in, hit search, and then it comes right up. What were they thinking?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SLOSifl posted:

I almost never search for a book. Most of the time, I look through certain categories and read the reviews.

Maybe that's why I don't care about the interface much - I pretty much always read reviews elsewhere and go to the BN store when I know exactly what I'm buying.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fair enough, like I say I don't really ever shop that way so maybe I just haven't had a chance to notice the things about the interface that are bugging everyone else.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cardboard Box A posted:

The official Youtube app maxes out at 480p.

I'm not even getting 480p as an option, that's why I was asking.

Is there actually an official Youtube app for the NC yet?

e: Actually they either fixed the video problem in the last update or there was something wrong with the videos I was looking at before, it's fine now.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 9, 2011

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Agent Pendergast posted:

Is anyone using a Nook color that isn't rooted, how is it as a reader? I'm considering changing from an e-ink reader to the color, anyone care to share similar experiences? How does the Nook do with books from torrent sites?

I use the Nook Color as a reader all the time, and it's great. It handles PDF and Epub like a champ.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

Anyone use the nook or kindle's built in browser with the forums here? If so how is it?

The Nook Color's browser is great for the forums, for what it's worth. Typing with the touchscreen kinda blows, but that's true of all touchscreens.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flyboy925 posted:

Question for any other Nook Color owners. If I go into Crosswords, I can't click on any of the columns closest to the edge of the screen. Is this normal, or is mine not working as its supposed too?

I'd never really play around with it, but yes it does seem that I have trouble getting it to select columns on the right side.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Borders just announced that they're declaring bankruptcy under Chapter 11.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've had cell phones that are pretty okay with having a reasonable amount of liquid spilled on them. Dropping them in the ocean, not so much.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

madprocess posted:

You could have a Nook Color that may or may not have an app store and lasts 9 hours on battery for $250 or a Wifi Kindle 3 for $140 that lasts a month.

Do you want to read or do you want a bargain bin tablet?

Yeah I never read on my Nook Color. :rolleyes:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

madprocess posted:

Surely you do more than just read considering the extra Benjamin you laid on tho, right?

I do. Oddly enough, though, adding the extra functionality doesn't take away from the reading experience. The only people I have ever heard complaining about the NC's screen, battery life, etc. are people who don't actually own one. Everyone I know who owns one is crazy about it.

In fact, I bought two - one for me and one for my wife. We're both absolutely crazy about them.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What madprocess said was "Do you want to read or do you want a bargain bin tablet?"

That's a false dichotomy - it implies that you can't have both. The NC does a great job of both.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If what you meant was "do you only want to read or..." then I guess I just misunderstood you.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Right, so just a misunderstanding. Unwadding my panties now.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I actually use the NC's white on grey "Night" color scheme more than anything else.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

This is now the most hilarious way to totally gently caress someone over for like a high school English class or undergraduate literature course. Imagine the crickets when the guy you pranked is like "so why is no one talking about that scene when Gulliver is captured by the Countess when he's small and she tries to put him in her hoo-ha? That was insane!"

"And how weird was it that Jonathan Swift actually used the term hoo-ha? I had no idea it was that old!"

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Aphasian posted:

For SciFi nerds: Iain M. Banks's Consider Phlebas (first in the Culture series) is 99¢ this month for all ebook formats.

http://www.orbitebooks.com/

Cool, thanks for this!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm downloading it now. From the web site it looks like they've started with pretty much every app I planned on purchasing. :hellyeah:

Speaking of, though, does anyone know how the app store works with multiple NCs? My wife and I share an account, and I'm wondering whether I need to buy everything twice. It's all cheap enough that I don't care much either way, but hey I'm all for saving money.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm less than impressed. The free Fliq notepad, calendar, and task apps are okay and Angry Birds looks great, but the #1 feature I was looking forward to was improved PDF support. One of the apps for that (Quickoffice pro) is entirely missing from the app store despite being prominently featured on the BN web site and the other (EZPDF) won't launch. Apparently it will only read PDFs from an SD card, not from the Nook's internal memory, and unless you have an SD card it won't even launch. Despite delaying the app store for months to "ensure an optimal user experience", I swear they didn't even test this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The built-in PDF reader seems pretty much the same as it always was. I'm hoping they get these other issues fixed over the next few days/weeks.