Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Beffah posted:

Any thoughts on this?

Watch the entire video that comes with the link. If you want to give this for your family, you're a bastard.

:siren: If it's sold on a shopping channel, it's not recommended to buy! :siren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Captain Frigate posted:

Another question, what's Calibre? What's it useful for?

http://calibre-ebook.com/

It's the best management software for your e-books (regardless what reader you use), and it can convert files your reader can't handle to something it can.

It can also fetch news for you, get metadata etc. etc. But the features above are the most useful.

e: this is in the OP.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Mobileread is a good place to get entertained. Found that out why just checking out for random news on any Sony eReader modifications.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108998

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Weinertron posted:

What kind of success have people had converting completely text pdfs to mobipocket with Calibre? I ordered a Kindle today, will get a chance to play with it this weekend. I know that in general PDFs won't work great / at all, but I would really like to be able to read lots of the free ebooks on the internet that the authors / publishers have put up in pdf only. Something like this: http://brainoverbrawn.com/get-the-book/

PDFs that are just text (OCR'ed, not scanned) work fine. It's the images that confuse all readers.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Freeze posted:

My library lets you borrow eBooks for free, and their site says that they're compatible with essentially everything except the Kindle (format is Adobe EPUB). Calibre sounds like it provides free, easy, high-quality conversions though, so that solves my main problem with the Kindle.

Thanks for the help.

If you borrow it, it has some kind of DRM, which means you need to jump through hoops to get it to work. Calibre is not some magic machine that makes DRM go away.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

madprocess posted:

What are you smoking? The Nook is just as restricted as the Kindle is. It can't even read mobipocket, an open standard.

Mobi is not an open standard. Or widely used.

Feel free to dream on though.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Suntory BOSS posted:

Kindle opening reactions:

:3: It's so TINY
:keke: Let me just remove this sticker...
:aaaaa: That...that's not a sticker

Is that same reaction what the thread title is referring to?

I guess so. When I showed my eReader (Sony PRS650) to my sister she just went "meh, so you can read books on a thing", but when I turned the page she suddenly went "wow, I thought that was a sticker".

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Factory Ten posted:

How do I get a Kindle out of the case?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5taUBwo1c

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Ara posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but I think it refreshes more slowly when it's really cold. I don't think I've ever had a refresh that was over a full second, though.

That'd explain why my Sony device turned "so slow" the other day. It was cold when I touched it and I was wondering why it was refreshing at that rate.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Personally I use the buttons on the bottom of the sony. Sometimes I will use the page flipping motion, but not very often.

Me too, because I really don't like to have a dirty screen.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
My Sony PRS-650 battery was goon busted (at least, in my opinion). Sometimes I'd leave it charging through a USB-cable until it was done, unplug it and find the battery flat. Sometimes it'd go a bit better and with a bit of luck the battery would last for a day.

Note how I'm charging my phone this way for nearly 2 years and my new T-1 just fine. Since I got the T-1 I gave the PRS-650 to my mother, but told her to take it back to the store for the battery.

She did this today, and not only did the man there tell her it was my fault, because the device wasn't made for USB-charging, but she also believed him and even bought a charger so she could charge it using a power-socket.

Complete bullshit, or am I really that naive?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
I have a Sony PRS-T1 (me), PRS-300 (father) and PRS-600 (mother). All of them still work, and I started with the PRS-300 in 2009 before moving on and trying my folks to accept that digital reading is not so bad. Now they use it all the time and they are all working just fine.

That's my 2 cents about Sony E-readers.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Karthe posted:

I've debated asking this but it's driving me nuts so gently caress it. Since the day I took it out of the box my Kobo Glo HD suffers from a single line of seemingly stuck pixels on the bottom quarter of the screen. What's weird is that immediately after a page refresh they disappear, but the moment I go to the next page they reappear. It's not a contiguous line, but it's solid enough that it's easy to notice.

Is this normal? Should I send it back for a replacement? Honestly, I can ignore the line of pixels easily enough, but I am kinda worried that it might be a symptom of a bigger hardware problem that'll rear its ugly head the day after the warranty elapses.

No, while some ghosting is normal (especially if it's not been used for a few days, used in cold weather or there was an image or heavy text on the screen), it should be fixed by changing pages.

I don't think it's part of a bigger hardware problem, but just a semi-faulty screen. You should still get if fixed though, perhaps read a real book or something in the meantime :p

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
I have had three Sony e-readers and while they are still going strong with other people, I really didn't like the battery life. I have a Kobo now and that thing is just amazing.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
So my Kobo Aura ONE arrived today. I love how bright/big the screen is. Doesn't work right out of the box with Calibre, but if you enabled experimental features in Calibre it works just fine.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

smr posted:

Did you get a "shipped" notification or anything other than the receipt from when you made the purchase? I ordered mine on the 30th when they made the pre-order available, would love if it just showed up this week.

I bought it through a Dutch webshop (since I'm Dutch) and I got it on launch date.

Waynebo posted:

I've only had it for one day, but it doesn't feel particularly heavy. The side bezels are pretty thin though so I've been holding it from the bottom.

I didn't buy a cover since the only one available is $50

I've only used it for a day or so, but it seems light enough. I'm waiting for some cheap Chinese cover I can grab from dx.com.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

brainwrinkle posted:

How do people like the size of the Kobo Aura One? I had an old Nook Touch. It seemed a little small and died shortly after the warranty expired.

It's the largest eReader I've owned so far, but I can still hold it in one hand (holding, for actual browsing I need my other hand).

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
My Paperwhite stopped keeping track of where I left in a book, which means that it starts from page 1 when I open up the book. I've did a factory reset and removed all the books. For now I got it working by converting the books to azw3 instead of mobi, but it's weird how it suddenly started doing this (no firmware updates either).

Perfect reason to just get a new Kindle, right?

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any book or one in particular? Pretty sure I had that happen on a personal document I emailed to my kindle a couple times. It was annoying as gently caress.

It's a book which I loaded onto the device with Calibre (as Mobi). When I only read this book it's fine, but when I switch to a different book (in this case a book I bought from Amazon) and want to go back it just pretends like I never read it. I've tested it with other books as well, and it just seems to get confused when reading both an Amazon and non-Amazon book at the same time, but it never was a problem in the past. It's not just the reading progress it forgets, it's notes and bookmarks as well.

im on the net me boys posted:

I say get in touch with customer service first and see if they can't sweeten the deal

I doubt they'll do much, it's a refurbished device and it's actually one year old as of today. I'll mail their support, see what they have to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Nice, they gave me a 15% discount voucher (based on my current Kindle, so roughly 15 Euros) for me next purchase of a Kindle.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jul 15, 2018