Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The new paperwhite with the flush screen is essential if only for its ability to not collect cat hair in the bezel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

binaryhermit posted:

I'd argue that given that eReaders have like 1500 mAh batteries and last weeks on a charge, you really don't need fast charging.

I only charge my Kindle when it tells me it's almost dead and it's always a surprise

I like that I don't have to janitor my Kindle battery as much as a phone but on the flip side when it says the battery's about to die it means I've got like 2 minutes

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I only read for about an hour before bed but my Paperwhite (with flush screen) lasts a month with Wi-Fi on.

My biggest complain is that it only warns you that the battery is low when it’s no-poo poo about to die. I’d prefer to get a warning earlier so I can put it on the charger in the morning instead of scrambling at 11pm.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 4, 2021

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

astral posted:

Did they take away the battery percentage indicator with that revision or something?

I don’t go out of my way to look at it. When I’m reading it’s just the text of the book until I’m done and pick another.

I know I could make a habit of checking the battery every night or something. I’d just rather not do that and instead have a warning at 10% instead of 1%.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why “lol”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My other electronics stuff, even the cheap stuff, has mostly moved over to USB-C as I've updated so it's annoying no matter what the excuse is

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Right after I spent $8 on a set of C to Micro adapters!!! Curse you Bezos

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Amazon doesn't have the announcement and the link in Ars is dead. Maybe jumped the gun a little bit?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah the info is 100% good I'm just anxious to slam my finger onto a purchase button

Edit: it's up now if you search. Just pre-ordered the signature edition with a leather cover.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Adaptive lighting is the feature I'm interested in

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Contrast is the bigger enemy. Pick brown/black on sepia for phone screens.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I've been digging the hell out of my new Paperwhite and I think the marketing really undersold how much FASTER this thing is. Page flips are almost instant now and it doesn't get bogged down when you're flipping a few pages forward or back.

The official leather cover is a total ripoff though. Garbage quality that might as well be plastic. I feel bad for the cow that gave its life for that.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Maneki Neko posted:

I upgraded from a Paperwhite 3 to a new paperwhite 3-4 months ago and it's a night/day difference on the screen in terms of performance/refresh speed. I have no regrets at all in upgrading.

Yeah the speed boost over the last model is huge and totally understated. It was a big upgrade for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

You need to find an Etsy seller making leather cases (not just drop-shipping from Alibaba or slapping on a Cricut sticker) and ask them for a custom order.

I haven't done this for eReader covers specifically but that's how I approach custom orders for other things.

Edit: Like this person https://www.etsy.com/listing/933215..._search_click=1

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was reminded of the Sony PRS-505 the other day, my first eInk reader, and it made me think I would literally kill to have a device that beautiful again with a modern front light.

I have already killed for it, but it hasn’t been working.