Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I got my first e-reader a few months ago, a Clara 2e, and lurking this thread the whole time I've been curious -- what is the big appeal of buttons? People are always listing it as a requirement, never used them so I don't get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Are Kobos like that too? Thinking of getting away from Kindle anyway.
The screen is slightly recessed on my Clara 2E.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I got a Clara 2E a year ago and I'm very happy with it but in hindsight, yes I would've paid for another inch and buttons.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kobo Plus -- the VIP points/discounts thing for $10/yr, not the monthly e/audiobook subscription thing -- is it obvious if it's worth it or not? I got it when I got my Kobo and it's up for renewal now. I earned ~2,800 points, never spending them iirc. I definitely got the (small, like another 10-20%) discounts on some of my purchases but made no effort to keep track of how much I saw saving. Anybody ever take a close look at it?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Yeah I was disappointed to get my Kobo after noticing the library support in the bullet points and then find out my library dropped Overdrive since the last time I had used it. The stuff I'd hypothetically be able to get from them is not really expensive if you just wishlist and wait but still, annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kobo Elipsa 2E is at the top of your size and price ranges but looks like it hits the bullet points for note-taking options and lighting. Looks like they sell the previous iteration of it in a bundle with some accessories for a little less, idk what you're giving up there. Can't speak to performance personally.