Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

madprocess posted:

You forgot to mention that jailbreaking the Kindle kills the 3G connection if present, reduces battery life, usually makes the fonts worse, causes stability issues and can make it impossible to read purchased Amazon books.

The only useful things are EPUB and the comic thing but both can be solved by using software like Calibre to do conversions.

None of that is true, I have no idea where you're getting that from.

You can gently caress poo poo up with the USB Networking hack if you screw around without knowing what you're doing. The basic jailbreak just utilizes an exploit to insert a known developer key into the Kindle's list of safe keys. Once that's done you can install unapproved software signed with the known key.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Nov 19, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

madprocess posted:

Sorry, I should have qualified that with the fact that its the "alternate OSes" that do that.

DuoKan (the only alternate OS I'd even remotely recommend trying) dual boots with the Kindle OS and is completely removable. qt for Kindle runs on top of the Kindle's default Linux base and is also completely removable, but I wouldn't even get into installing that in a "this is how you jailbreak, this is how you change screensavers and add new fonts, these are the apps that actually work and won't break your reader" how-to.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I'll write up a bit jailbreaking the kindle tonight then.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Space Racist posted:

Does Borders still display Sony readers, or are they exclusively pushing the Kobo now? It's been a while since I've been in a store.

Exclusively Kobo now.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Dear Publishers,

Please stop with the bullshit prices. There's no reason for the ebook to be more than the paperback edition. I recently decided to re-read Lies My Teacher Told Me because I remember enjoying it and I haven't seen my copy since I lent it to someone in 8th grade. It was available for $4.50 for Kindle, so I bought it. The new introduction also recommends Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States so I looked that up and it was 14.99. The paperback is 11.29.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

cybrancyborg posted:

I'm looking for something roughly pocket size, that can read PDFs decently. I'm not going to be looking at full color photos and not many charts, mostly text. PDFs themselves are mostly text based, as for scans, I guess least-worst is all I can ask for based on response to the last person who asked about that. 3G isn't a concern, I'm mostly reading stuff from feedbooks/guttenberg/etc. Audio would be nice, but not necessary, Web browser and video playback not needed. Hoping to stay under $150. Been looking at stuff like the Sony pocket, but don't know how they all compare.

If you're doing feedbooks and gutenberg why not just redownload in a reader-friendly format? Both offer epub and mobi/Kindle formats.

I'll say I don't mind if the ebook is more than the paperback up to a point. If say the paperback is 7.99 and the ebook is 9.99 I'll say whatever and get the ebook. If it's an expensive paperback I'm ok with the ebook being above 10 bucks, like if the paperback is 19.99 and the ebook is 14.99 that's cool.

It's just when the ebook is jacked up above the paperback for no real reason that annoys me.

pienipple fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 22, 2010

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Duckman2008 posted:

On another note, hi-five on book selection, I just read it myself. Great book.

It is very good, I was disappointed none of his other books were available digitally. Lies Across America was excellent and I wanted to read his book on sundown towns.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
There's a lot of reasons book piracy isn't as prevalent as movie or music piracy. For one it's labor intensive to make a digital copy of a book you own a physical copy of, which is the complete opposite of ripping your CDs or DVDs to digital files. There's also no big book sharing service or program like Napster, Audio Galaxy, or KaZaA was for music (and viruses) back in the day.

While it's ridiculously easy to find pirated comics, if you're looking for a pirated copy of a book and it's not a recent, preferably big name release you're probably going to end up with either a PDF full of scanned images of each page or a poorly OCRed poorly formatted text file.

On top of that while the ereader market was still miniscule Sony and Mobipocket both had stores catering to ebook buyers, along with a few early adopter publishers like Baen Books.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Paco de Suave posted:

Honestly, this is really not the case. Ebook scanners get really into it, I've seen some impressive scanning setups. The books are out there and the scanners put some effort into it.

I didn't say there aren't people who do it. It's too much effort for the average user to do it. That and there's no "Bookster" you can just hop on and have access to practically all the books in the western world.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

maduin posted:

As someone who's only used a Kindle 3, how much worse is a 2? Is it even worth saving the $50 on?

I have a 2, my mom has a 3. There's nothing game breaking about the upgrade, the 3 has a nicer screen and better button layout. The 2 has 3G only and no wifi so if you were thinking of getting the 3G 3, a 2 is 100 bucks cheaper, slightly bigger body (screen size is the same) and the contrast is a little bit worse.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Craptacular! posted:

I have a question that isn't so much about eReader hardware as it is DRM and reader software:

What are the options for Linux people? I bought a Kindle book that I wanted to read, but it turns out that Kindle For PC was broken under WINE in an update. I just checked Nook and see they don't have a Linux client, either.

None of the major stores have a reader for linux, it's bullcrap. Amazon is supposed to be coming out with a browser based Kindle app that will work on any platform but I have no idea when that would come out.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Craptacular! posted:

I guess my question is, "is there any way to read a commercially bought eBook with Linux?" Both Amazon's and B&N's reader apps are a no-go on WINE, and from looking at Adobe's site it appears they haven't ported their reader software at all yet.

It looks like there's no encryption at all that can be read in Linux.

The choices are basically strip the DRM and read it with calibre or run a Windows VM to use the official software.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Screen_Saver_Hack_for_all_2.x_and_3.x_Kindles

Use this guide instead.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Anyone know if you hack/root the kindle, can you use calibre to keep the series order/collections in order on the reader?

Just wondering, friend asked me and I have no idea. I see stuff about the screen savers and fonts but nothing about the series.

No. Any changes you make through calibre to collections will only persist until the next time it syncs with amazon's server.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

But would that affect books that he adds himself?

He has a pretty big ebook collection (not quite as big as mine), but he is thinking of getting a new ereader since his broke. The kindle is looking like a good candidate for him since he is a cheap bastard, but he really wants the sony style collections where you can choose what book is #1 in a series, what book is #2, etc.

I know if he did this with amazon purchased books it might cause an issue when it connects to the server, but if it was just something he broke the drm on, or loaded up himself.. would it also affect the reading order?

He has a few weeks to think about it, I think he is gunning for one around christmas.

Just thought I would help him out by asking here :)

You can put the volume # out of the series in the metadata but the kindle won't sort by it. If he wants the Sony style sorting he should get a Sony, Kindle's sorting abilities are probably it's weakest point.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

teraflame posted:

Hows the Kindle for reading b&w comics/manga?

pretty good. anything with strong linework looks great. artists who use a lot of ~whispy pencils~ and typesetters that make the asides too small to read are an annoyance.

k2 and k3 will read cbzs tossed in the pictures folder, but doesn't always refresh the screen properly. i find it the most convenient to use a program called canti you can find on the mobile read forums. it uses image magic to batch process folders or archives and optimize them for your device. ive been using the pdf output to dodge the partial refresh problem of reading straight from the archives and the pages randomly out of order problem mangle viewer gives me.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there a way to buy foreign language eBooks for devices we have here in the US? I'd love to get an eBook reader for my wife for Christmas since she reads voraciously, but I'm not sure if there would be a way to buy books in Japanese.

The catch is that there'd have to be a decent selection - she reads mostly horror, mystery, and suspense - and she reads like 5-10 books a week when she can get them. The ideal situation would be getting a kindle here and buy Japanese ebooks from amazon.jp. Is that possible?

Amazon.co.jp does not appear to sell ebooks. I know someone earlier in the thread mentioned japanese ebooks have some weird formats, so a kindle is probably not going to be a good choice for her.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Mobi and ePub are equivalent formats, both are compliant with the Open eBook Publication Standard. The difference is the DRM formats used by proprietary stores. Sony dropped their proprietary format and hopped on the ePub/Adobe Digital Editions bandwagon shortly after the nook was released. Prior to that the major open standard was Mobi, with or without the Mobi DRM.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Deathlove posted:

Bricked my Kindle 2 replacing the front cover. All the parts in all the stuff I've replaced, and a stupid cover repair is the one I break it on. :mad: I'm way out of warranty, too (launch day K2).

Is there anywhere that buys old Kindles for parts? I can get a refurbed K2 from Amazon for less than a K3, but I'd probably rather have a K3 for the price difference, and selling the old K2 would help defray those costs.

What really sucks is I bought my wife a K3 for Xmas, and it sits there, taunting me.

Check the Mobile Read forums, that's probably your best bet for selling a busted one.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Duckman2008 posted:

The big plus for Kindle 3G is that its a one time $50 and then its unlimited. Having gotten over the new gadget phase i don't web browse much, so i'd say overall WiFi is fine for almost anyone, but $50 for unlimited extra convenience just seems to good to pass up. I am glad i got the 3G one, better to have it than not have it.

This. A smartphone is better for real browsing but the kindle browser is good enough to check your email, look something up on wikipedia, or check google maps in a pinch. It's also awesome if you take longish trips semi-regularly where you wouldn't have access to wifi.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Duckman2008 posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your method of checking email? I use Gmail and always assumed gmail.com would be too obnoxious for the Kindle. Same with maps actually.

Gmail actually works really well. On my own hosting I use squirrelmail and that renders quite readably.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What's the method to do this? Could he link to my account, download, then unlink? Or switch his kindle from his account to mine and back?

Yes to both.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

stubblyhead posted:

I was at target over the weekend and they had a display model out; not sure if they had any in stock though.

Should be easy to tell at Target, all the ones I've seen keep the readers in a a locked glass front case under the display models.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Strangelet Wave posted:

They do, but not without a little hacking. It's quite painless--it'll take maybe 5 minutes, tops, and is completely reversible. Instructions here (and in the OP).

You can also add fonts and tethering and suchlike, but I've only done the screensaver hack. Works just fine on my Kindle 3 WiFi. The screensavers cycle in order as usual (which I like), but you can also get them to randomize with the instructions in the link.

EDIT: In the instructions, it tells you to reboot by placing a blank file named "reboot" in a particular folder, but I just rebooted the Kindle the normal way (holding the power switch for ~15 seconds) and it worked fine. One less step.

The screensaver and font hacks are very safe if you follow the mobileread wiki instructions. Approach others with caution.

El Hefe posted:

it doesn't overheat?

My K2 doesn't, and I've never found it to generate a perceptible amount of heat.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I've ziploced my kindle for beach use and it honestly works really well. The plastic is flexible enough that you can slide the power button without opening the bag, and it keeps it safe from sand and water.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Twitch posted:

That reminded me of another question: which collections of H.P. Lovecraft and Mark Twain are good on Amazon? Reading reviews, it sounded like some of them have really bad problems with formatting and spelling. I don't care if I have to spend a couple bucks more for something done more professionally.

for public domain stuff, check the mobileread.com catalog. forum members there vet the books for formatting and spelling/ocr errors.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Strangelet Wave posted:

Reposting my screensavers for Duckman2008. Also, I've updated the packs once since I first uploaded them--a couple of the screens had a bit of whitespace around the edges, so I fixed them.

Thanks for making my Kindle look classy as hell when I'm not reading. :cool:

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Facebook, twitter, gmail, other google services, and anything with a decent mobile version of the page works fine. The interface is clunky since you have to scroll around with the nub or d-pad and pages load very slowly but in a pinch I'll use my K2's browser over the browsers on my PSP or DS, but I'll take Opera Mini on my phone over any of them.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
The M-Edge straps hold very firmly, I thought they would be awkward until I tried it but now I like it more than the hinge clip.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Sperg Victorious posted:

Some people in the amazon forum were saying that self published people have been able to submit books in formats other than mobi for a while. Maybe Amazon is just willing to do the conversion themselves? I don't wanna get my hopes up just yet. :ohdear:

The way smashwords does it is that you submit your script in .doc or properly marked up html and the epub, mobi, lrf, etc files are automatically generated from that. There's no technical reason any store can't offer all formats.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Mido posted:

Hey, I didn't see anything about this in the OP. I have a Kindle 3.2 6", and I was aiming to get a reading light for it. I don't want to get burned, does anyone have any experience with reading lights for the 6" Kindles? I was looking at some on Amazon but it's hard to determine how big they are going to be compared to the Kindle itself.

As far as clip-ons go, the gold standard seems to be the Mighty Brite 2 which works well but with both LEDs on I find it too bright, so I only ever use it at half power. It is a bit big because there's two AAA batteries in the chunky part of clip, and the arm tends to jiggle a bit if you move it while in use.

The m-edge e-luminators are the same kind of light but with one LED rather than two and they slide into a pocket on the m-edge cases made to hold them. The big advantage there is that they hold much steadier than the Mighty Brite's clip does, so the light doesn't jiggle when you move. I use one of these on my Kindle 2. The cylindrical part of the base contains the single AAA battery.

The official lighted case for the K3s are nice too, although a little more expensive than other options. The light tucks away when not in use and draws power from the kindle's battery through the clips connecting it to the case. It's not as adjustable so if you're really OCD about the screen being lit absolutely even it might annoy you, but for most it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Arnold of Soissons posted:

I take notes (in serious and non-fic books) or leave a running commentary/predictions/sarcastic comments/talk to the characters (in less serious novels)

I might be the only person in the world who does, but I do it all the time and I love the keyboard for how easy it makes it to jot out a note.

When I read nonfiction I like to make notes and jot down reminders to look up other books mentioned in the text later. I don't do it so much in fiction books though.