Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Is there any news about a Kindle price drop for Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Captain Frigate posted:

I'm actually more interested in a possible price drop tomorrow for "cyber monday" or whatever.

I guess not. :smith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm in Chile. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use the experimental web browser (via 3G) if I get a Kindle?

Amazon posted:

Access Wikipedia via Whispernet on the experimental web browser. Access other websites like Google via a Wi-Fi connection.
Does this mean that Wikipedia is the only site I can browse without WiFi?.

If yes I'd be inclined to get the $139 model .

VVVVV
Interesting. Now I'm not sure which model I should get. :ohdear:

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 1, 2010

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

z0331 posted:

My wife's trying to get me a Kindle for Christmas. We're in Japan right now so she apparently has to order the version labeled International on the website. It claims it won't ship for 7-9 weeks. Does anyone know if that's accurate? Seems pretty ridiculous since it's just the same as the regular Kindle, isn't it?

I was thinking about buying one but screw waiting until February for it to get here.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

fishmech posted:

There's no special International version now. There was an International Kindle 2 which was the later model of the Kindle 2 though. You should try having someone in the US order to a US address, since there is no delay here, and then have it shipped to you.

Are you absolutely sure about this? Do you have a source?
I really want a Kindle and getting it during 2010 would be ideal.

EDIT: Apparently US/Canada and European/International Kindles have different serial numbers depending of what SIM they use.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 2, 2010

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Murodese posted:

MangaTraders Scraping Script

This looks like it'd be really useful but mangatraders is just way too slow. :smith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Murodese posted:

That's why I automated it :eng101: Pulling down the entirety of 1p took a little under an hour from memory (600-ish chapters)? Unless you're talking about release speed, in which case :geno:

I tried downloading yotsubato and after 20 minutes it still hadn't downloaded a volume. :v:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Does anyone use the Kindle as a todo list or a very simple PIM?

I find myself using the Kindle first time in the morning to read the news and having a todo list there would be nice. Maybe syncing the RSS feed of an online task manager like Remember the Milk via Calibre? Any suggestions?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sporadic posted:

Amazon just added a new, free game. Video Poker

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004C6S25I

Living in the third world sucks, I can't try any of the free games. :smith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Actually, I'm pretty sure I saw some old newspapers' feeds imported using Calibre in the archived section.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary was available for the Kindle. I wouldn't have to carry around that monstrosity. :smith:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I have wireless off. Should I uninstall the screensaver hack before it updates?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The paperwhite with special offers still is the best value/price e-reader, right?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I finally got a Paperwhite to replace my broken Kindle Keyboard and having a lighted screen is amazing, it completely changes the experience.

I was worried about the lack of page turn buttons but tapping the screen makes it a non-problem. The only problem I'm having is the lack of bezel to grab the thing, the KK had a lot of space and was more comfortable. Other than that I'm happy.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

What do you use to send online articles to your Kindle? I read a lot of long form articles and I'd like to move that reading to something easier on my eyes.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I broke my paperwhite a month after getting it :negative:. It's a tiny crack but the light makes it unusable.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Flo Cytometer posted:

What generation is it? I may be able to rebuild yours for around $40 and shipping.

I think it's 2nd gen, 4gb. I'm in Chile so I doubt the shipping would be worth it. :negative:

Zingih posted:

If it's under warranty Amazon should fix it for free. I looked into it when I somehow got the same thing, mine was out of warranty though so I was poo poo out of luck.
I got it new from a local seller so Amazon is probably going to tell me "NOT OUR PROBLEM SUCKER".

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 16, 2015

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

If I wanted to read comics, would a cheap android tablet be enough? I have a paperwhite but it's annoying for that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

As a US resident is there a way to buy an ebook only available on Amazon UK and put it on my kindle?

Add a UK shipping address to your amazon account and it should work.