Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009
What's the best for PDFs? I have a bunch of textbooks, things like the D&D handbooks, and course lecture notes that are in PDF format. The wikipedia link says what ones SUPPORT the format, but not how well.

I've always been extremely opposed to eReaders and eBooks- they're not how I want to read my books, among other things. But stuff like I mentioned, that I'd otherwise have no choice for reading other than on my laptop (which is distracting and hard to do if I'm, say, at an airport waiting for my flight and don't feel like turning my computer on and off a bunch), they'd be useful.

The only thing I'm opposed to is any of the Kindles- I don't like the position of the paging buttons, I tried one in Best Buy the other day and it just felt awkward. I definitely don't need 3G. Some people have told me to just get an iPad or an Android tablet but they cost a lot more, and I already have an ipod touch and a Droid, so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009

Grawl posted:

PDFs that are just text (OCR'ed, not scanned) work fine. It's the images that confuse all readers.

That's the kind of information I was looking for when I asked about PDFs. The OP just said what ones supported the file type, but not all PDFs are the same. Some of mine are just images so that seemed iffy, but others are just text which seemed like it should be perfectly fine. The FAQ now is kind of helpful but I'm still curious about the definition of "sucks". What actually happens? Do they not load at all or do they look terrible- and how terrible? If the formatting is just messed up, or images don't load but the text is fine, I don't care. Is the text small? That's fine too, I'm the only person in my family with good eyesight- for exams I always print notes 8 or 16 pages per sheet and can read everything just fine.

I have low standards. I guess what my question should have been is, is there anywhere I can actually see pictures of PDFs loaded on different ereaders. Someone mentioned using Calibre to convert to the Kindle's format to see what it'd look like- does that process work for the other readers? I tried just now for one and the formatting is a bit off but it's still perfectly fine for my purposes.

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009

mintskoal posted:

Anyway, I'll be putting my regular Nook up on SA-Mart tonight. It's just the wireless model, no 3G, is in perfect condition and comes with a pretty nice case. $100 shipped for the whole deal I think is pretty fair.

Aw man I JUST put the regular Nook on my Christmas list- I almost bought it myself, but no matter what my mom always ends up emailing or calling me a week before Christmas to say hey can you put more stuff on your list. So I figured, so I don't kick myself for not just sucking it up and buying one on Black Friday... put it on the list, what's another week and a half. And now this!

It's like the ebook reader universe is trying to punish me for the crusade I've been leading against it for so long.

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009
I've tried some textbooks (all originally pdf, some converted to epub, some not) and comic books on my nook b&w and it's just fine. The formatting is off at times but people kept telling me "oh it'll be completely unreadable you're an idiot if you want an ebook reader to do that" and that's not even remotely true. I was surprised by the comic working- the text doesn't show up perfectly but I can still read it and the images look great.

ABFA00
Jul 9, 2009

FidgetyRat posted:

3) That color LCD touch thing at the bottom is annoying as hell. Much prefer the kindle's dpad and keyboard.

It's not that bad really. I liked the dpad+keyboard better too but decided to ask for a Nook for Christmas anyway for various reasons. Now that I've been using it for a couple weeks I've realized that the only part of the navigation that really matters is the paging buttons. When I'm reading something that's all I care about. Maybe it'd be annoying if I were looking for books on there, but I'd rather do that on a computer anyway.

FidgetyRat posted:

Just out of curiosity, what do other people think about a *fair* price for eBooks.
And what about for ebook versions of college textbooks?

And some Nook questions!
1) Does anyone have any tips for getting the back cover off? I watched a video on youtube because I absolutely could not figure out where I was supposed to put a micro sd card, and I'm still failing at the cover.
2) I borrowed an ebook from the library, with overdrive, but I can't seem to get it to work on my Nook. It tells me to use Adobe Digital Editions, and I've supposedly authorized it and such. The book shows up in ADE, I can read it there, and when my Nook's connected the book shows up there too. It shows up on the device too, but when I try to get to it the screen says loading for a bit and then just sends me back to the list of books. What did I do wrong? I've been using Calibre a lot too, could it be messing with the file somehow? So far I'm not a fan of ADE since it seems to have no settings anywhere... options just has something to make a new bookshelf?