Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

I'm going to un-root my nook, then re-root it to write a how-to. Go me for having a weekend plan. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

Any thoughts on this? It's on sale for a hair under $130 with free shipping, but to me it looks like a knock-off iPad. My father asked (read: told) me to check it with thoughts of my mother, but I've never heard of the brand.

Edit: I'm a Nook-ite, but my father has a kindle 2 (he's blind, got it for the tts), so we're both relatively versed in ereaders.

Beffah fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 27, 2010

Beffah
Jul 8, 2010

Grawl posted:

Watch the entire video that comes with the link. If you want to give this for your family, you're a bastard.

:siren: If it's sold on a shopping channel, it's not recommended to buy! :siren:

Yeah, I saw the video when I got home from work (can't on work 'puter). I believe the general term that comes to mind is "sketchy."

Also, progress note for the one guy who asked - de-rooting my nook tomorrow, then I'll do the writeup on how to root/calibre usage with nook, etc. Been preoccupied, but the 1.5 software update has done something really interesting. I actually have the option of using the rooted settings vs. vanilla nook settings - say, if I go from my library tab (rooted) back to the main touch menu, my touchscreen gives me the option of home (vanilla B&N) and launcher (rooted). Has anyone seen this/know if de-rooting and re-rooting will take this option away?