Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Seriously torn between the Kindle Touch and Nook Simple Touch. I was previously set on the Kindle Touch but I'm concerned by two complaints I've seen: When reading it, your right hand rests naturally on the screen, which causes you to start selecting things randomly. It's also hard to page back and forth with just your right hand since you gotta stretch across the width of the entire screen to flip back.

In comparison, I saw this video of the updated Simple Touch today and was astonished by its speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbAiZ7yHLUc

It's crazy fast and definitely beats the Kindle Touch, which has a half second lag or so before registering your touch. I'm sure Amazon can get it updated to the same speed but I don't see that happening so quickly after launch. Plus I think the page forward/backward buttons address my concerns with the Kindle Touch.

Anyone with a Kindle Touch and/or the Nook Simple Touch want to weigh in? I'm not in the US so I can't compare them personally and will have to import either ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

B&N is having a Cyber Monday deal: $25 gift card with a Mastercard purchase of any Nook device online. I'm confused by the terms and conditions of their gift card though:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?PID=41493

"This offer is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents; (ii) not valid on past or pre-ordered purchases; (iii) not eligible for purchases of any other product other than NOOK devices..."

This doesn't make any sense to me. So the gift card can be used only to buy another Nook device? Not even, say, ebooks, cases or book lights? I was considering this over Best Buy's $79 Nook Simple Touch deal but if those are the terms for their gift card I'm not going for it. The deal ends today so I'd appreciate if someone could help me clarify the deal.

edit: Found their press release: http://www.4-traders.com/BARNES-NOB...N-com-13909535/

"...So in addition to giving the gift of the top-rated reading and entertainment products available, BN.com shoppers can also use the Gift Card to purchase great new physical or digital books, magazines and children's books - or a stylish accessory for the new NOOK."

I guess that answers my question. I'll be using that gift card to snap up some ebooks! Just confirming, I should probably assume this follows the rules of their usual gift cards, eg. I can purchase a $6 ebook to leave $19 of credit behind, right?

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Nov 28, 2011

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Bought a Nook Simple Touch on the B&N website. Shipping was delayed for four days, which was quite troublesome for me. Queried their customer service email to see if they could assist me. Each email took three days for a reply and each was basically them repeating my tracking number (the link for it didn't even work). Did not address any of my questions at all. Horrendous customer service, especially when they're competing with Amazon. From what I've seen, I'm hardly alone in this:

http://www.customerservicescoreboard.com/Barnes+and+Noble

Should have taken up Best Buy's $25 discount instead.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have serious issues with my Nook Simple Touch's resolution at close proximity. Sometimes I just like to bring the reader nearer to my face to vary my position and you can really see the pixels around the font. Maybe it's better with the Kindle. Anyway at a normal reading distance you really won't notice it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm looking for some good screensavers for my Nook Simple Touch. Those for the Kindle or Kindle Touch should work as well. I've dug through some screensaver websites but their stuff are mostly low quality. Wouldn't mind if somebody shared their folder of screensaver here!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

So, apparently 1.2 rolled out a few days ago and fixes most of these things! Hyphenated words are searchable, manual dictionary searches are now possible, haven't encountered a reset of the last read location, and noticeable less ghosting.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Software-Updates-NOOK-Simple-Touch/379003175/
I almost wept when the hyphenated word was highlighted. This update rocks.

Also, this works with hyphenated words that continue onto the next page. B&N has done wonders to make us celebrate such a basic fix.

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 25, 2012

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Are there any good Nook Simple Touch screensavers out there? 600x800, Kindle wallpapers will work too. Most of the dedicated sites are filled with blurry or crappy stuff. Maybe some of you can share yours.

I'm really looking for stuff that's visually interesting on an e-ink screen. I thought this reproduced very well on my Nook:

And there's this, because I love Calvin and Hobbes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is there a reason why images are so small on the Nook Simple Touch? I read tons of history books and the maps are always tiny as hell, sometimes not even occupying the width of the page. It's a real bummer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Can anybody comment on iPad mini as an ebook reader? I have a Nook Simple Touch without GlowLight and wouldn't mind something with light. I'm shunning ebook readers in general because all of them suck rear end with maps and graphs, which is a lot of the history and non-fiction books I read.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

smr posted:

I was a diehard Kindle user until I got my Mini. It's almost as comfortable in bed as my paperwhite but, as you note, does way better at pics and maps. I'm a big history buff as well so the map thing is important. And it's a great tablet as well.

I still use my Paperwhite for novels though.

Nihiliste posted:

Since other people have already commented, I'll just add that you might want to wait until Apple does its September product launches - there's a chance the Mini will upgrade to a Retina display. The current Mini is pretty great overall, but its screen resolution is inferior to a Nexus 7, much less the 9.7-inch iPad.
Thank you guys, this was helpful. I'll keep an eye out for the new iPad mini.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What's a good case for the Voyage? I've heard great things about the OMOTON but apparently it's really tight. It would be nice to read without the case sometimes.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The light's insanely important unless you read exclusively on a reading chair with perfect lighting.

With my old Nook Simple Touch I had to buy one of those lovely book lights and strap it to the case. My Voyage is a world of difference.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My old Nook Simple Touch was left untouched in my drawer for like 2 years and its rubber became all sticky. No way to fix it, and it'll only get worse.

Not buying another one of these rubbery electronics again

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Refurbs are totally worth it. I have a Voyage refurb, it's indistinguishable from new ones.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I own a Voyage. It's definitely nicer to have the screen flush because it's hella annoying to have dust stuck in the corners.

If the difference is $60 though, I'd definitely just get a Paperwhite. You'll be more than happy enough with the jump from no backlight to a Paperwhite backlight.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

gently caress a $10 case, I bought this $6 case from AliExpress:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magnetic-Super-Slim-PU-Leather-Case-Cover-Pouch-For-Amazon-2014-kindle-voyage-6-eReader/32276461217.html

Love it. Absolutely love it. Everybody who sees the case loves the look too.

I got the brown one.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The industry needs a massive kick up the rear end to get color e-ink commercialized. The technology has been stagnant for ages.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You're asking us if the latest tablets are better than the old tablets. The tablets thread would be a better thread for that question. In terms of reading experience, the technology has more or less stayed the same.

As for e-ink readers: They're frontlit, not backlit (e-ink is opaque). Unlike with LCD screens, light doesn't beam directly into your eyeballs, so your eyes don't get as strained. If your books come in mobi/epub and aren't color- or picture-intensive, you should really look to switch to e-ink instead.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It hurts my eyes to read on the iPad but it's incredibly cool to have books with pictures and charts and maps look good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You might find an Amazon warehouse model, which will be basically indistinguishable from a new piece.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Refurb Voyage is better than new Paperwhite, talk to your partner she’ll understand.

Maybe have her do the return and re-order so it still feels like a gift

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Offbrands are fine, seriously. I got the literal cheapest case I could get from AliExpress and it's lasted me the past four years.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

This is because Nintendo, in their infinite wisdom, made the Switch's port not *quite* to spec (it's slightly narrower or shallower or something iirc), but didn't bother to tell anyone, so third-party docks were made to spec and hosed up Switches.
The actual circuitry is, like, different. It’s not just the size or shape. It’s the dumbest thing ever.

USB-C is a great idea but dumb poo poo like this really undercuts the promise.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I loved my Nook Simple Touch's physical buttons to death. My Voyage's buttons are fine but they didn't feel nearly as good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had been looking for a strap for my Kindle Voyage so it's easier to read on the go. At first I tried the ludicrously priced Strapsicle ($23) and returned it immediately. I ended up with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0C3QSGJKL. Works great. Also it's $8, which is about as much as something like this should cost.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

smackfu posted:

Amazes me that third parties still sell Voyage accessories on Amazon. You can barely even buy a Voyage on eBay at this point.
It’s not meant to fit the Voyage specifically. But yes it’s a pain to get accessories for it. The device works perfectly fine though :shrug:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Stumbled on this review of a phone, which is basically using an e-ink screen but seems to be much smoother. It looks great, which makes me wonder why the tablet version wouldn’t be immediately superior to Kindles and other e-readers out there. (Battery life, probably?)

https://youtu.be/Ng5sHevRX3w

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Decided to answer my own question. Yeah, the tablet version is pretty great (was anyone expecting this thing to have loud speakers?). Has colors and a much more responsive screen than e-readers. Battery life is apparently not great, though the review doesn’t say how long. Pretty cool device though. If I read comics I’d get it.

https://youtu.be/z8P1pfYJq84

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My understanding is these color e-readers are pretty dull and reading comics on them may not be the best experience.