Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl

madprocess posted:

^ Don't be envious of the library thing. We have a nook as well since my wife wanted one (of course now she steals my Kindle) and library ebooks are always a hassle. I don't enjoy waiting 3 weeks to get a book some rear end in a top hat has been hogging at the real library, having to do the same for digital is just maddening.

You forgot to mention that jailbreaking the Kindle kills the 3G connection if present, reduces battery life, usually makes the fonts worse, causes stability issues and can make it impossible to read purchased Amazon books.

The only useful things are EPUB and the comic thing but both can be solved by using software like Calibre to do conversions.

As presented before jailbreaking does nothing of the sort, and beyond that jailbreaking isn't even required for running the custom stuff that's out there. It installs flawlessly ontop of the kindle main os which continues operate underneath it. It provides excellent extension allowing readability of practically all formats of books and the best pdf support i've ever seen on a ereader. It makes the Kindle a killer device able to do more than any other ereader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Le Sean posted:

I was pretty set on the Kindle until I looked at the video on Sonystyle and saw the touchscreen Sony's had a stylus. There was a strange moment of 'again, here we are' as I thought back to my days with old Treos, but being able to highlight blocks of text for later use seems so obvious that I'd hate to not have it.

Does the stylus on sony devices work well? Does the Kindle have a similar highlight-and-save mechanic? How are the dictionaries on the various devices?

How often does Sony update firmware and what not? Also, what's the real difference between the daily and touch editions besides the extra inch of screen?

As far as delivered content goes, is it worth it? Several user reviews for delivered magazines or newspapers for Amazon for instance insist that you get limited versions of the papers and that it's not even worth the money.

What keeps the Kindle interesting to me is how much you can do On-Device. A younger me would have loved tinkering with fonts and doing mass-conversions and what not on a computer before loading them on a device, but these days I'm preferring things that just work. Kindle's syncing systems, for instance, for amazon-purchased books is one example.

How quick are Sony on the uptake when it comes to improving software with common-sense ideas?

The Kindle allows you to highlight text quite simply. While it's not touch highlighting (you use the arrows and the cursor clicking center once to start highlighting moving the cursor to the end of your highlight and clicking a second time.) in my opinion it's superior to Sony's highlighting. It syncs across platforms. It provides on the fly definitions from highlighted items, and it allows you to save those highlighted items into bulleted cliff notes for later use.

hatersg2haet
Nov 10, 2010

by Fistgrrl
PDFS are much better on the custom kindle firmware. Especially if their text based and not scans.