Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

JackDarko posted:

Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask, I reviewed the forum and it seems like the best place to ask for advice. I’m looking for a digital notebook, it doesn’t need to have fancy features I’m mostly concerned with the writing feel. I go through a lot of notebooks yearly. It looks like it’s between the Remarkable 2 and the Supernote. Does anyone have experience with products from either company or could offer advice? When it comes to e-ink I only have a paper white and love it. I don’t like the feeling of writing on an iPad.

Thank you in advance and happy holidays!

My supernote Nomad should be arriving in a few days. I can let you know my thoughts after it arrives if that is helpful.

No experience with Remarkable though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

duckdealer posted:

My supernote Nomad should be arriving in a few days. I can let you know my thoughts after it arrives if that is helpful.

No experience with Remarkable though.

Still have no experience with Remarkable, but my Supernote A6X2 arrived today and it seems pretty neat after getting it mostly setup!

I enjoy the writing feel but don't have anything to compare that aspect to.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

JackDarko posted:

Thank you for this! I’m glad that you’re digging it and the writing feel. Are you mostly looking to use it to take notes, read or a bit of everything?

Mostly be using as a planner / for writing / reading. Gonna try and work it into my Emacs setup but remains to be seen how that will go.

One thing I noticed is that the Supernote's kindle app is a lot snappier than using my first gen Kindle Oasis. Which makes sense I guess!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

JackDarko posted:

That's pretty cool, sounds like you'll get a lot of use out of it. I ended up ordering a Remarkable 2, I remembered my job gives us $400 a Quarter to spend on "self-improvement" and e-readers fall into the category. Depending on how that goes I may check out the Supernote as well next quarter.

Makes sense! I heard the Remarkable got a big software update recently that people are happy with. So hopefully it meets your needs!

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Artelier posted:

I found a local seller for the Supernote, and they have the A6X in stock (with A5X on preorder if needed)! Does anyone have any impressions on it?

My use case would be:
- Doodling handwritten notes - connect to cloud if available
- Doodling on PDF aka bringing this to DnD sessions instead of my laptop or printed pages currently
- Maybe take over as ereader/manga reader, since it looks decent for that too I think?

Debating between one of these or a simpler Android tablet like the Galaxy Tab S6 Lite, which I believe will have much worse battery life and possibly handwriting feel, but displays colour which means I can also use it to read colour comics (though the Supernote can still read colour comics in monochrome I think)

I've really enjoyed using my A6X2.

Honestly whether you want a supernote or a regular tablet probably depends how much you care about writing vs reading. The reading experience is fairly basic though it works well enough. Writing is pretty great though. Also depends on if you would find having all tablet features / software available to you distracting or useful.

The thing that it's mainly missing is an official way to install Android apps which would make it ideal for my use cases. It's being worked on so hopefully a solution will be released soon.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Enjoying my Supernote more and more.

A reddit post from the company's account said the beta update that officially enables side loading should come out around the end of February which would be awesome.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Supernote now let's you toggle sideloading.

Some very useful stuff (EinkBro, Shonen Jump app) seems to work great so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

For a light for my supernote I use: https://www.vekkia.com/products/bookmark-book-light

Works well for my needs at least!