Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I already have a Paperwhite Signature Edition that I love, but I just picked up a Scribe because I'm bad with money and I need material possessions to fill the ever growing void in my soul. I love how much bigger the screen is, but good god this thing is heavy (more than 2x the weight of the Paperwhite). The weight is just enough to make me not want to use it as my primary ereader, even though I much prefer the amount of text I can get on the screen. The pen features are almost completely useless to me, but the ability to more comfortably read manga was a big factor in my deciding to purchase one. The Paperwhite's screen is big enough for normal book reading for me, but manga is just a little too small. I've only had the Scribe for about a day, but I'm feeling some buyers remorse and considering a return since $330 for a manga reading device seems pretty loving stupid.

Can someone please sanity check me, and tell me if you'd keep or return the Scribe in this situation? I have disposable income, so having two expensive ereaders isn't financially a problem, but it does feel somewhat wasteful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I have a Kindle Scribe and a Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition, and I’m considering the Libra Color. If the Libra had the same screen size as the Scribe I’d already have it preordered.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

According to this guy I guess the color screens are darker and kind of poo poo for black & white content, which is disappointing. Would be nice to have color covers and for the handful of full color manga I have, but if the normal reading experience for books, which is black text on white background, is so degraded I don't really understand the draw of these? The ads seem to indicate that they'll look great, but hard to just believe the company's own marketing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaWnBMvdKH0

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Someone actually got the Libra Colour super early: https://www.reddit.com/r/kobo/comments/1c198fa/got_the_libra_color_early_ama/

Has a few pictures in OP and some more in the replies at various times of day and light settings for anyone concerned.

I saw that post a few hours ago and the comparisons made me go ahead and pull the trigger on a libra colour. Will post impressions and/or comparisons with my Kindles when it arrives.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Cross posting my SA Mart thread. Looking to sell my Scribe w/ Premium Pen since I've got the Libra Colour on order and still have my Paperwhite to use in the interim.

$325$275 obo

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4058676

e: of course Amazon puts the Scribe on a deep sale the day I post this.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 16, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Can this thing survive in a backpack? Like my Paperwhite has a case and can get knocked around a bit and is fine. How fragile is this thing?

I’m not particularly rough on mine, but my cats have knocked it off my nightstand several times and it has survived just fine. The back is made from tungsten, so it’s pretty rigid, and the folio at least does a decent job of protecting the screen.

This guy beats one up pretty bad and it survives even being bent to hell from the back. Being aggressively bent from the front kills it though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXeZ5fNazk8

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 17, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Clara BW has a 1 GHz CPU, supposedly a MediaTek MT8113L, while the Clara Colour has a “Dual 2.0
GHz” CPU. Since these are ereaders though I don’t think it’s going to make a substantial difference either way.

The color screen is for notes and color book covers, but also for manga/comics. If you don’t read those then just get the BW model and save $20

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Libra Colour arrived yesterday. I’ve been putting it through its paces so far and it’s generally been pretty good. The color images are noticeably “fuzzier” than black & white due to the ppi difference, which is to be expected, and the screen is definitely darker compared to my Kindle when the device’s light is off, but once the light is adjusted to my comfort level I can’t tell a difference between the two.

I did run into an issue initially with moving my DRM-stripped Kindle books to the Libra, but that was due to Calibre not having full support for the Libra Colour’s database version yet; simply toggling a setting to attempt to work with the database version worked just fine and sorted everything into proper series/author groupings with appropriate orders. Additionally at one point I did something that caused the device to hardlock and I had to do a hard reset to start using it again. Only happened once though, and it may have been due to the amount of content I was dumping into it at the time.

The lit images are at 25% brightness with the “natural light” option off in these images. Additionally the last image showing text is the first page of volume 1 of the Apothecary Diaries, as to avoid spoilers for anyone reading the series, since I’m on chapter 7 of volume 10.

E: Realized it’d probably be helpful to show a direct side-by-side comparison, so this is with a Kindle Paperwhite with both screens in sleep mode and then both on the same page with Libra Colour at 25% brightness and Paperwhite at 13/24 brightness.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

astral posted:

How noticeable is this pattern to the naked eye? That's the one thing that's worried me about the new color models since it's everywhere in the background.

I have to get really close, or otherwise specifically be looking for it, to notice it. Those pictures were taken with my phone in macro mode and generally I don't perceive the pattern. That said, someone on Reddit did comment about it bothering them, but all it seems to do to my eyes is better reflect the imperfections of actual printed paper. I know that's not what it's going for, but it's how I tend to process it. Holding it at what I consider a normal reading distance I can't see it at all on black & white content, and just barely maybe on color.