Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Anyone know if there's a definite release date for Amazon's bookmatch service?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Less than a week for Amazon to enable Bookmatch, if I'm not mistaken? Are they going to pull off the old Indiana Jones last second hat-grab ?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Odette posted:

Dictionary updates? Who the gently caress uses dictionaries?

Who are you, Walt Whitman? You've never come across a word you don't know the meaning of?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

10 years, zero books available. Way to go, Amazon! You sure "Bookmatched" me!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Some people just have an obsessive need to categorize everything, even if they spend more time doing it than actually using whatever they're categorizing. Nothing wrong with that, but you're just not in the majority, and I don't see Amazon touting that as a major selling point. It'd be nice, sure, but I'd prefer tags or something else.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Seriously? And you say you have a thousand books piled up in your kindle? loving hell

While I'm guilty of this, having hundreds of books in my Kindle and not reading more than one per week(if that), do you understand that you probably don't absolutely *need* 1,000+ books in your pocket at once? I mean, it's nice, but...

In any case, apparently you can manage your library in Calibre with a little effort:

http://www.howtogeek.com/169088/how-to-effortlessly-manage-your-kindle-collections/

I obviously have not tried this because I couldn't give a poo poo, but hopefully it works for you.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I really, really need hardware buttons back (on the Paperwhite). I have having to touch my reading surface to flip pages with my laughably goon-stereotype greasy cheeto fingers. I hope the next version has them back.

"Ah, yes, extreme contrast and beautiful type! *splotch* *smudge* Oh"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

GhostDog posted:

Apparently the idea of going "I want to read some SF", opening the SF collection and then going "Asimov. No. Clarke. No. Dick. No. Lem...yeah, Lem" is quite alien to some people.

Of course, it's unthinkable that you'd choose Stanislaw Lem's work before Asimov's :colbert:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Kindle Paperwhite (1st gen) 5.3.9 update:

Source.

Bison_yes.gif

I can't believe they added this. The progress bar was so distracting and really, useless to me. I submitted it as a complaint somewhere, do you think Amazon listened to me? :allears:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You, goony goon who owns both Kindle Fire+Kindle Paperwhite and who actually reads regularly - which do you prefer to use for actual book reading ?
I would like to buy one for a friend but I only have the Paperwhite and while I'd recommend it, I don't know if the Fire is better or if that's more like iPad territory.

Thanks!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Useful and informative, I think I'll go with a simple Paperwhite and hope it is enjoyed, thanks!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I love my kindle and Amazon sucks at updating them so much.

Like I've bought about 5 or 6 since the first version, a Voyage(didn't like it), and the new paperwhite because I love it, but Amazon doesn't give a gently caress about decent yearly upgrades because ????

All I want is faster speed and physical side buttons, but Amazon is intent in loving around with dumb ideas because I guess they want to be Apple.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

fishmech posted:

The Voyage is the "physical" button device. Faster screens require the e-ink manufacturer to develop another revision so Amazon can use it - this tends to be 3-4 years between serious screen tech updates.

Actually I think it's the Oasis? (Which I didn't buy because I'd just bought the Voyage).

The voyage has the worst "haptic" buttons which are so bad they inspired me to buy a new paperwhite and I don't regret it one bit. Also the button placement on the back of the voyage is so uncomfortable and I kept pushing it accidentally(I used my Voyage without a cover).

The voyage suiuuuuuux

So when do you think the next revision will be for faster screens?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

im on the net me boys posted:

Hey, does anyone here use Scribd? I'm trying to figure out if it's something worth trying considering I don't :filez: ebooks anymore

Late but I’ll go to bat for Scribd - been a subscriber for years. It really sucked in the early days but today it’s pretty awesome.

Netflix for books AND audiobooks, currently with an “all you can consume with no limits” model. The only problem is that new popular releases are rarely available, but the amount of content makes up for it. Seems like popular books make their way eventually.

With the amount of money you save, if you really want a book *now* you might as well buy it on Amazon!

Big fan, I’ll be the first to admit I loving hated the service and the app was super buggy in the early days, but they’re cool and good now. (On iOS, no idea on other platforms!)

My only nitpick is it doesn’t work on kindles(for e-paper), I’m not a big fan of reading on tablets or laptops, but it’s worth subscribing for the audiobooks alone (plus a lot of art books, game art, etc). I mainly use it on iPad.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Uhhh, this reminds me that I gifted an oldish paper white to a friend, trying to encourage him to read more, but I’m pretty sure I didn’t log out of any of my accounts... is that bad?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

fishmech posted:

You can forcibly remove the Kindle from your Amazon account at https://www.amazon.com/hz/mycd/myx#/home/devices/1 - also reachable via going to My Account on amazon and then selecting Your Content and Devices and choosing the tab that says devices. Once you do that, they can't go around buying books with your account or anything like that, so you're good to go.

As for if you signed into something like Goodreads or Twitter or Facebook, simply change your password at those sites and the device will be taken off of ability to use those accounts.

Thanks, they wouldn’t do anything malicious but there’s always a chance of something awkward happening

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I put my Oasis in my back pocket and forgot about it and sat my fat butt on it while driving. And it actually just bent instead of breaking. There's a curve in my screen now, but nothing's cracked and everything works. Pretty impressive.

Sooo... Any news on the next Oasis kindle? I might need one soon

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I bought my Oasis whatever the newest one was in 2020.

From what I gather, there’s still no refresh ? No new version I mean, faster page turns or something.

Just looking, I don’t actually need a new one but it might be nice to upgrade

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I can't believe I'd do this in 2023 but this is the year I'm going back to physical books. Kindles are just too annoying when I just want to sit down and read. I've had a kindle since the very first version with a keyboard.

One doesn't hold the battery charge very well anymore, and I felt extremely stupid when I said the words "Oh I can't read my book right now, I need to charge it" (no usb chargers around). I have another, an Oasis, the battery seems fine? but sometimes it doesn't wake up fast, or at all, and I'm wondering if it needs to be reset, hold the button for a long time and hope it comes back? do I need to charge it more? They used to put the "low battery" warning on screen, but a while ago that just stopped working.

As I'm typing this it's coming back to life, it was a low battery problem. Why? It was 70% last night. Update? Forgot to turn itself off when I closed the cover?

The hardware is fine I guess, but the software loving sucks, they seem to redesign it every so often yet they don't fix these basic problems, and I think 12 years since the first kindle is enough time for them to figure it out. gently caress this

I'll keep a kindle around because reading in the dark is great, but I'm back to carrying a book with me.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Not sure if it’s the right thread, but Marvin 3 died? I switched phones recently and when I tried to open it, it said the app had been removed from the App Store and wouldn’t let me download again. Hey I paid for this! :argh:

Super disappointing, it worked fine. I still have a copy on my iPad, glad I haven’t updated.

Anyone know what happened, or even better, a suitable replacement ? I really liked the Dropbox integration to get books from there.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

virinvictus posted:

What’s the go-to recommendation in 2023? I’ve had my 10th gen Kindle Oasis since release but I’ve seen debate on Kindle vs Kobo vs Onyx Boox. SA has helped steer my tastes in the right path before.

I’m in your same boat, wondering if the kindle Oasis will ever see a refresh, it might be dead for Amazon… leaning toward the Kobos for when my Oasis dies (I certainly won’t be buying a device without USB-C in 2024)

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Just saw someone who claims to have read 326 books this year, on Goodreads :catstare:

Some sort of literature professor, but still... yikes

goddamn it this was for the book chat thread, but here you go, I'm tired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Huh, so is the kindle oasis is officially dead? I saw some web article about it being shoved off Amazon’s main kindle lineup (replaced by the scribe)