Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022

zhar posted:

When my old paperwhite finally dies I'd be tempted to get a boox (b&w), mostly to read cheap manga using apps like shonen jump. I find reading on e-ink much less fatiguing so it might be handy for more general browser reading too.

Has anyone tried using a manga/comic app on an android device? Is the experience any good?

I used to use Tachiyomi on my Boyue LikeBook P78. While It looked fine, what ultimately made me stop using the P78 is that Tachiyomi felt kind of clunky on it and was a little unstable, and I was never really happy with the Android experience on it because it just felt slow and I spent more time frustrated with it than I did reading stuff. I ended up just refurbishing my old Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 running Android 13, which while being really old, felt much more responsive, and the AMOLED screen is nice for the inky blacks. Color also meant I could read American comics on it as well through Tachiyomi.

With the whole Tachiyomi being dead because of Kakao and the rise of Mihon to take its place, I might try Mihon on my P78 to see how that feels and see if it's any more stable, because I did like reading manga on e-ink when it was working.

So, the main takeaway is figure out where you draw the line in what's acceptable performance for you. I'm sure other, more expensive Android-based e-ink tablets probably give a much better feeling Android experience than what I had at the time, but you'll have to just try it out for yourself (as well as see how stable the apps you want to run are, which is a big thing to consider).

If I were to give current e-book readers another shot, I'd make sure to get it from somewhere with a good return policy now that I know what I want and don't want out of one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Ok so my partner has tasked me with finding an eReader that fits her needs, and I know gently caress all about this side of ereaders.

Here's what she wants:

She wants to be able to take notes on top of the books she is reading, both directly on the book (like writing in the margins or writing something under/above a sentence), as well as something like writing a note on a "sticky note" type of situation.

She wants it to have a light so she can read and write at night in bed when she wants to.

Something with a screen that's give or take around 8" would be nice, but a 10" wouldn't be out of the question if it performs well.

She currently has a 10th gen Kindle, and the books she wants to annotate are books she's purchased from the Kindle library, however, she has no problem with having those books converted to pdf or epub or whatever to break the DRM poo poo so that it can be used elsewhere. Right now, she is just reading stuff on her kindle, and jotting down notes on a separate notepad, which is of course, kind of cumbersome, and a pain to do at night.

We looked at the Kindle Scribe, but she doesn't like the implementation of writing on books (only having the whole "sticky note" style, with a small icon denoting a note on the page).

I looked at previous pages of this post, and saw several mentions of the Supernote Nomad, and it looks awesome for a variety of reasons (I really dig things like the repairability and ability to expand storage), it does have that one big caveat that it lacks a light (and I do understand why they opted to not put one on there).

So, is there anything out there that can do the whole note taking thing that can hang with the A6X2 in note taking and writing performance and feel that also has a lit screen (ideally with the option to choose color temperatures)? Or has anyone tried using an external reading light with the A6X2? The idea of being able to sideload android apps is also appealing (if Mihon runs decently on it) but not necessary.

We would really prefer to choose an eReader vs just getting an iPad or full Android tablet, and our working budget is ideally sub $400 but we don't mind spending more if it performs and does everything she wants.

HamburgerTownUSA fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 25, 2024

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
Thanks for all the food for thought folks, it's been very helpful.

Had more discussion with my partner with some of the points brought up:

She isn't at all married to the Kindle ecosystem, and has never felt the need to change font size/type, so if the ability to write on a page locks it in to a set layout, that's ok.

She isn't against using an external light as long as everything else works how she wants it. I have showed her videos of both the Supernote Nomad, as well as the Koba Elipsa 2E, and she is leaning more towards the Supernote. If our local Walmart has the Kobo in store for her to physically look at/try out, we'll give it a look.

I am giving her my old Lookbook P78 to try out the whole "Kindle book converted to something else" thing, and I have ordered the Vekkia Bookmark light to experiment with on the P78 (with the light turned off) to see how she gets on with having an external light on an eBook reader (and she can use it with her current setup for when she writes her notes on a notepad).