Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I haven't had an ereader in probably a decade, but I've finally gotten wise to how great Libby is, or more specifically I got wise to the fact that I'm eligible for a library card from three separate systems (so I can actually find poo poo I want to read and not wait six months for it). I don't really like carrying my iPad on my commute and it's not great for reading novels anyways, so an ereader it is.

Looks like the Kobos are the clear winner here with the ability to get the books directly and not have to gently caress around with sideloading, no?

My last eReader was a Nook and I had to actually check to see if they still made them, because nobody seems to talk about them. They that bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The screen blows.

Drop a nickel or your keys on the screen and say hello to your incredibly bright lines that will never ever go away.

Are you talking about the Nook or the Kobo?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Alright I just got my shiny Kobo Libra 2 and I'm already about to chuck it out a window (in the direction of Kohl's, my friendly neighborhood Amazon return dropoff).

Apparently if you want to be able to sync more than one library system, you have to play some very fun games with the legacy OverDrive system and hope and pray that all of the applicable libraries have the right settings on their end and if they don't, well, :shrug:

2005 desktop Linux levels of jank tbqh

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah I was disappointed to get my Kobo after noticing the library support in the bullet points and then find out my library dropped Overdrive

I think this is probably the issue with my main library, which simply will not work using the multiple-library workaround. I can sign into the library on my Kobo using my library card credentials directly, but not via my OverDrive account (which means no multiple-libraries workaround). And yes, it is extremely disappointing considering it's one of the big selling points that gets bandied around.

I contacted their support (e: Rakuten) and they told me that they're working on it. Guess I've got a few weeks to decide whether to:

a) Switch libraries manually whenever I need to until they roll out whatever their new solution is (not that big of a deal but very annoying in principle, considering why I chose Kobo)
b) Return it and get a Kindle instead (like Jeff Bezos doesn't get enough of my money already)
c) Sideload my books via ADEahahahah hell no

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Huh. My Libra 2 has a couple days left in its return window. I could basically upgrade to color+stylus for $30 extra. Or I could lose an inch of real estate and hardware buttons, but step up in display tech and get $60 back in my pocket. Tough call.