Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Chachikoala posted:

God help you if you lose the stylus. The people who designed and are selling that product belong in prison.

Pretty much any kind of stylus will work on a resistive screen, so that would be the least of your worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Freeze posted:

I'm planning on buying an eReader very soon, but I can't pick which one. I was going to buy the Nook, but they won't ship to Canada. I was thinking about getting the Kindle, but the lack of ePub support is sort of stopping me from buying it.

Does anyone know anything about this one:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/E_Readers_PDAs_Handheld_Gadgets/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A4429805#Overview

It seems like a good deal, but I can't find any reviews anywhere.

If you've got the budget/desire for a Nook or Kindle why would you consider a $100 eReader with an LCD screen that doesn't have any reviews

Calibre will handle any format conversions with ePub, although DRM can make things tricky.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

z0331 posted:

Of course that might mean sci-fi and fantasy books are experiencing a boom also, though I'm not sure nerds have as much shame about these things...

I kind of do. The biggest worry is somebody asking me "What are you reading?" and not settling for "science fiction."

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Armed Neutrality posted:

I love the iPad, and the retina display, but I don't think the increased resolution will make it any better to read on, for me at least. I stare at LCD screens all day long, I can't stand doing the same when I just want to relax and read. I can't wait to get my iPad 2, hopefully with an even better display, but I'm not reading books on anything but my Kindle.

I think the "easier to read on retina" hype is a load of bull. The issue with reading on LCD screens is the fact that they're backlit and shooting light directly into your eyeballs rather than reflecting light like eInk, not that the text is a little fuzzy.

You'll notice that the text on eInk readers, books, and newspapers is a little fuzzy too.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Oneiros posted:

So e-ink doesn't "shoot light directly into your eyeballs"? What sense are you using then because you sure as hell aren't seeing anything without photons streaming onto your retina.

Oh please, you're just being pedantic. You and I both know that there's quite a large difference in intensity and focus. Can't you recognize a little bit of exaggeration instead of trying to call me stupid?

quote:

Seriously, I think the problem people have with LCD screens is that they have the backlight set to the "signal overflying aircraft" mode. Turn the brightness down and blink every now and then so your eyes don't dry out.

Try turning down the brightness on your LCD and say goodbye to the contrast! Even then, it's still a flashlight beamed onto your eyes.

Edit: Additionally, just recognize that this is certainly an issue that affects people in different ways. I'm not alone in finding a difference in reading comfort with LCDs and books, and I'm probably with the majority of people on this matter too. In my case I'll even admit it's probably due to the fact that I wear contact lenses, which are notorious for causing greater light sensitivity.

Magnificent Quiver fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 23, 2010

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Ethereal posted:

This is what all e-ink readers are like. They're slightly slow, but if you're only using it for reading it'll be faster than turning the pages on a real book.

I've noticed that some official Kindle books will have page turns that take a long, long time. It seems like it's some kind of formatting screw-up, since one book had a bunch of problems with text lying on top of other text. Turning to the next page would take a couple to ten seconds and turning to the previous page would take up to a minute.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Mnemosyne posted:

Airplanes have no actual logic for why they make you turn things off. I'm convinced they just like being assholes. I don't know how old you are, but in the late 80's, before there was wireless anything and the most people had were Sony Walkmans, they used to make us turn those off too. There is literally no way that listening to a cassette tape on a Walkman can cause any sort of problem, they're just dicks. (On a less :argh: note, I always assumed it was their way of forcing you to listen to whatever announcements they were making, since this whole "wireless signals will make planes crash!" poo poo didn't come up until almost 10 years later.)

They're not trying to be assholes, nor is there some hidden motive. The industry has literally just never bothered to change that policy in the last few decades. If it was actually still important they would confiscate everyone's devices, since it's meaningless to ask somebody to turn them off and then never bother to make sure they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

FidgetyRat posted:

Further testament to how awful the Kindle home screen is.

Yeah I don't know why they haven't made fixing this a priority. The Sony readers do a great job, since they let you browse by Author and Title in alphabetical order.

I can't imagine how awful the Kindle's screen looks if you've filled it up with a ton of books; the sorting methods it offers are really clumsy.