Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
It might be worth mentioning that the Nook is easier to get going with library ebooks via Overdrive since they both use Adobe's DRM for ePub and PDF. I love my Kindle, but that's the one thing I'm really envious of when it comes to the Nook.

Format support in general might be good to add (Kindle = Mobipocket, Nook = ePub, etc.), since I know a lot of people get confused about what options are available on what readers. If you toss in a link to Inkmesh, too, that should give people a pretty good idea what books are available for the different readers if they can't find something from their reader's official store.

It couldn't hurt to put in a recommendation for Calibre, either. Even though a lot of books have DRM on them, it makes authoring your own ebook files from public domain stuff much, much easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

madprocess posted:

^ Don't be envious of the library thing. We have a nook as well since my wife wanted one (of course now she steals my Kindle) and library ebooks are always a hassle. I don't enjoy waiting 3 weeks to get a book some rear end in a top hat has been hogging at the real library, having to do the same for digital is just maddening.

Whether Overdrive sucks or not pretty much depends on what your library is able/willing to shell out for. Since the libraries around here get pretty good funding, they actually have a really good selection. I can do the library thing on my Kindle, but it's kind of a pain since you have to fiddle with the DRM to get the Kindle to recognize it (it requires an extra flag in the file header to be set to work with standard Mobipocket DRM). Out of the 15 or so books I've read that way, though, I've only ever had to wait for one or two.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Duckman2008 posted:

Criss posting from the Rooted Android thread, but the Nook Color has officially been rooted and playing Angry Birds. I put it in the OP with a disclaimer to wait a bit for something a bit better to come about.

http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archives/2010/11/rooted_nook_color_delivers_android_experience_on_a_cheap_250_tablet.html

Edit, updated based on info below, thanks!

Looks like I'm probably buying a Nook Color in the near future, then. I don't give a drat about ebooks in color, but I've wanted a cheap Android tablet for a while. :)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

traslin posted:

In my limited experience, each library has a different set of books, so I'm assuming they make separate deals with overdrive. Also, each book a library has access to has a limited number of licenses the library can give out. For most of the recent, popular books, I have to get on a waiting list to wait for someone else's license to expire.

Libraries have to purchase each copy of a book they want to be able to lend out, so if your library only has one copy of a popular book, it's because they're either not being funded enough or they don't care about e-books enough.

To answer the question about whether it's worth it to have access to multiple libraries' Overdrive systems, yes, it is. Personally, I have access to three different systems and they all have different content.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Fuzzykinz posted:

I don't know what your price range is... but I've been incredibly happy with my Oberon products in the past.

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle.php

Me, too. I've been recommending them to anybody who's asked me about cases.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Guilty posted:

We probably should stop with that kindle manga bullshit not only because is it loving stupid, but you're also pretty much committing :filez: since those series, Bleach, One Piece, Naruto, etc. are all licensed and those websites don't really have them up there legally.

It's not all that different than people putting TV shows or MP3s up on YouTube and I don't think anybody here really has a problem with that. If it really bothers you, talk to a mod and see what the official word is.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

FidgetyRat posted:

Edit: I'm surprised about the page numbers thing. That should be pretty interesting to see, but something I personally don't care about. Wonder how Amazon will convince all the publishers out there that keep releasing crappy mobi converts to go back and re-edit to add page numbers.

Yeah, they probably won't. I'm surprised that even made it into a firmware update, though. Do people really expect e-books to match the same pages as another edition? And, if so, which one? It's not like hardbacks and paperbacks use the same numbering, either (barring trade paperbacks), and I don't think anybody really cares about it with those.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

josh04 posted:

Academic texts sometimes have standard pagination. My copy of Plato's Symposium is numbered like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephanus_pagination

Oh, huh. I guess that makes sense, then. I wasn't really thinking of reading assignments since 99% of the courses I took assigned reading by chapters (computer engineering), but I could see that being important there. It still seems to me that doing citations by location would be more precise, though.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

quote:

OverDrive likewise says publishers are concerned about the size of consortia and shared collections, and "seek to ensure that sufficient copies of their content are being licensed to service demand of the library's service area, while at the same time balance the interests of publisher's retail partners who are focused on unit sales."

So, instead of blaming pirates for lower than desired book sales, now publishers are blaming libraries. :downsbravo:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
If anybody is interested in picking up a Nook, 1saleaday.com has 3G+wifi refurbs for $100 + $5 shipping. Might be worth it.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Centipeed posted:

Can someone explain to me how library lending is defensible these days? I'm obviously glad that the public has free access to books from a central source, but aside from the "We should be living in a free utopia" argument, I don't know how libraries can be defended now that books are cheap enough.

Do you work for the publishing industry or something?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

fishmech posted:

MLA states that if there can be confusion, you link the url used to get your exact copy.

For example if you used this copy: http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Man...05225386&sr=1-1

You would put in that URL where it says Web in the template such that it would say "Web: http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Man...05225386&sr=1-1".

Or just use Amazon's short URL service: http://amzn.com/B004ZV6BFI. It doesn't get much simpler than that and the combination of ASIN and edition (Kindle, in this case) is pretty unique on its own.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Fenarisk posted:

Is a screen protector advised for kindles or is it not a big deal?

If you keep it in a case, no. I've never seen anybody with one, anyway.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Eyecannon posted:

The problem with 24h time is that you inevitably have to subtract 12 from any number over 12 to get a time that makes sense... So you might as well just have it in 12h mode.

Are there people who are like, "I typically go to sleep at 22:00"?

Yes. Taking it one step further, seeing a clock that says 3:00 when it's some time in the afternoon means I mentally turn it into 15:00. You 12-hour people are just weird.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Civil posted:

August-ish is the yearly refresh for the kindle line, right? So maybe the 2 - 4GB is the yearly bone they're throwing out.

No hope for my paperwhite with side buttons. :smith:

That's the one thing I want to happen so I can upgrade from my Kindle 3.

:smith: :hf: :smith:

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Just put in an order for one with 3G. I travel for work sometimes and I don't always remember to buy a new book when there's wifi around.

I really can't wait for this. I've been sticking with my launch-day Kindle 3 because of the page turn buttons and getting seriously envious of all the cool poo poo they've been putting in the new models over the last four years. If nothing else, going from a 167 DPI screen to a 300 DPI one is going to be a huge upgrade on its own.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm kinda disappointed that it doesn't have Qi charging. It'd be awesome to just set it down on a pad to let it charge back up, plus it'd add some thickness to it. My Kindle 3 is already thin enough to be uncomfortable without a case, and this is even thinner yet.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Sep 18, 2014

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I just got home from work and picked my Voyage up from the leasing office. Coming from a launch day Kindle 3, this thing is amazing. I don't know that it'd be worth upgrading to from a Paperwhite, but if you've been as curmudgeonly as I have about page turn buttons, it's a really nice upgrade.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Nintendo Kid posted:

Well the Paperwhites can all be turned on and off with a magnet in the case, which works even with third party cases. I'd be surprised if the Voyage doesn't use that too.

Try putting a strong fridge magnet on different parts of your Voyage. You should find places the magnets are attracted to, and if the magnets oyu have on hand aren't strong enough on their own to trigger it you might try to find a stronger one.

I don't know where the magnet is, but my Oberon Design case for my Voyage works like that.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Nullset posted:

Book publishers are more concerned with their business and making money than they are making things convenient for libraries/readers. Libraries typically have to pay a lot more to license each e-book and they can't afford to pay for enough copies for every reader. The publishers often also set restrictions on how often e-books can be loaned out before buying a new license.

Yeah, that last part is what I find stupidest. They say they want to "simulate the wear and tear" that you get with lending physical books, which is why libraries can only lend a specific copy of an e-book out some number of times under most agreements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Odette posted:

I don't see any point to doing firmware upgrades for any of my kindles (Paperwhite+Keyboard) because I have wifi off and don't use any of the fancy new features (goodreads integration? get the gently caress out), pretty happy that I can just sideload ebooks via calibre/non-Amazon means.

Not too happy with this email from amazon though.

EDIT:

I'm not happy because there's no detail at all. What constitutes downloading ebooks? Does that include sideload via USB? What actions are limited?

The only difference is updated SSL certs. They're gonna swap the existing ones out for ones with a more secure signing algorithm, but once they do, any devices that haven't updated (and therefore can't verify that the new certificates are legitimate) will refuse to connect to the store or the update server for safety reasons (at which point, you'd have to sideload the update in order to apply it). If you leave your Kindle offline 100% of the time, you'll never notice a difference.