Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Lot 49 posted:

I agree with the comments below that review. Looks great and the only reason I'm not giving amazon my money is because there's no physical page turning buttons.

I bought my parents a Kindle DX and they refuse to upgrade due to the lack of the page turn buttons. My first Kindle was a touch and I thought people were just being silly about that but after six months I find myself definitely wanting the physical page turn buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

I keep copies of my stuff on my PC thanks to some tools to strip the DRM and Calibre. Highly recommend others do the same. I doubt I will ever have a problem with Amazon but it's just nice to have them anyway.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any news on the Paperwhites for Canada yet? Getting annoyed at the wait and thinking about just using US Address and picking it up at the border.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

LmaoTheKid posted:

Kindle touch just got a nice software update.

Adds reading speed, that funky audio/text sync thing, coverview (worthless to me but someone might like it), font options, and a much better UI.

I like.

Hmm? I downloaded 5.1.2 and I don't see cover view options anywhere, where are you seeing that?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Magil of Shadow posted:

The new update is 5.3.2

Not sure how I hosed that one up but thanks :)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Buttons are good for certain reading positions and touch is fine for others. I'd really like to just have both and don't mind paying extra for it but I doubt the demand is there and that's probably why we haven't seen a new Kindle with them yet.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Do they use the same type of touch tech? The Kindles use whatever tech simply requires pressure on the screen from any source, rather than detecting the human bodies bioelectricity. Which means the pouch itself touching the screen on a Kindle Touch will cause it to randomly change pages or go to the home page.

Yeah this bugged me about my Kindle Touch, the PW has a capacitive touch screen though thankfully. Now if would just decide to sell the loving thing to Canada :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any Canadians find a spot to get that Moko Paper White case? I can't find it on ebay for some reason. The official Amazon one looks nice but man that $40 price tag is a bummer.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

You can organize Kindle stuff pretty nicely with Calibre and the Kindle Collections plugin.

That looks really nice but unfortunately doesn't seem to work with the Touch or presumably the Paperwhite according to his forum thread anyway :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I want better options for organizing and managing the books on my Kindle, I really hope they have made some improvements there. The Touch and PW don't support that Calibre Kindle Collections plugin which sucks.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Craptacular! posted:

Just dropping by to ask, is there a better manager app than Calibre yet? It looks so 1995, seems bloated in size, can't handle it's own updates, etc.

No it's pretty much just Calibre. There are other ereading applications but nothing with the same feature set for library management and conversion. The lack of a built in updater is a source of major annoyance for its users and a running joke around here. Pretty much any time you run the thing it needs a 50MB redownload which is hilariously wasteful and silly even for a cross platform app.

Once you adjust to its...unique user interface though it's a great application and can't argue with the price.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is the Kindle Oasis worth it? I have RSI and holding trade paperbacks for any length of time hurts so I'm going back to a e-reader. I had an old Kindle but the battery is toast. The Paperwhite seems perfect but the lack of page turn buttons is a huge bummer and the Oasis looks easier to hold/use one handed so I can alternate. But man that price, its like $200 more of my crappy Canadian dollars.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks guys, appreciate your input. Sadly I don't think I'll get that lucky on price, we get kinda hosed up in Canada on these things. But I don't mind paying if its worth it, I don't want to aggravate my RSI any further.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
They're working on a Paperwhite with the warm light thing, I just hope they don't neuter the battery life too much like the Oasis. A friend of mine has one and he says even with the airplane mode on hes lucky to get a week of reading 1-2 hours a day. My old Paperwhite used to go a solid month between charges.

An awesome goon sent me a Voyage that I'm using right now and its fantastic, I hope they refresh the line up one day.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Yea, wifi is the battery killer on the oasis. With it on, maybe a day of use, or two. Off, couple weeks easy. I just leave it off and turn it on when I email myself books or something.

Yeah same here. It's definitely something they need to address. I just turn on wifi to sync with Calibre and turn it back off after. It doesn't really affect me but the Oasis is stupid expensive and this shouldn't be an issue.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

RichterIX posted:

I could be wrong but I think the issue with the Oaais is that the weird form factor necessitates a lil bitty battery, at least compared to what's in the PW

The Paperwhite has a 1400ish mAh battery vs the 1260 in my Oasis. It's definitely smaller but it still doesn't explain why it drains so much faster. A super generous goon gave me a Kindle Voyage which lasted like 3 weeks even with its older battery, I would still be using but it met with an unfortunate accident while building a deck :(

It feels like a software problem except that they all use the same OS so I have no idea what is going on.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Maneki Neko posted:

Did Amazon hire a team of summer interns to knock out like 5 years of backlog changes? I like the new update but seems like there’s been more changes this year than in the previous like 5 years on my paperwhite (or just standard pandemic year blurring).

Yeah they've got their poo poo together now. Last few updates have been meaningful, I really like the UI reshuffle on this one.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
That all sounds great but no page turn buttons is a no-go for me. The Oasis is pretty much perfect outside of the bizarro form factor. I've gotten used to it but man its odd.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's up on Amazon Canada already and has USB-C listed there, signature edition specs also have wireless charging listed. $149 CDN for the Paperwhite and $209 for the signature.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
My "workflow" for ebooks is basically:

- Buy ePUB somewhere
- strip DRM if applicable, move it to NAS
- calibre (docker on NAS) imports it automatically based on a watched directory on the NAS and converts to MOBI
- You can automatically initiate email to Kindle using a forked version of calibre (docker) but I don't
- I prefer to initiate it manually so I use calibre-web (docker) and then just send it over myself, click on book and Send to Kindle using Amazon's "send to kindle email" service and a gmail account
- Sync Kindle and enjoy

You can also add readarr to search for publicly available books (all legal) in place of step 1 and have it kick over downloads to your watched directory for calibre.

All of that took awhile to setup but it's nice once finished.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
My Kindle Oasis has been having issues with the Micro-USB port, $300 device with a Micro-USB port gotta love it. On a lark I picked up a Kobo Libra 2 and can't believe what a difference it is. The typography options and text quality on the Libra 2 are noticeably better. The build quality isn't as nice but I never use an e-reader without a case anyway so I don't care if the chassis is plastic. I read a lot of reviews about the page turn buttons being spotty but mine are perfect.

What I'm most impressed with is how "open" the device is. The Amazon ecosystem is annoying to deal with, Kobo is just much nicer to interact with on day to day basis. Sync effortlessly with PC, drop an epub into dropbox, sync via calibre-web, it's all easy and works well. I do find myself converting epubs to kepubs just to get the extra reading stats, Kobo has a lot of cool stats and I much prefer it's UI layout. Battery life is much better than my Oasis and USB-C port as it should be, death to micro-USB. The only real negative I've seen is that the Kobo doesn't have an ambient light sensor, the low blue light function is just based on time of day. Not a big deal though and you can always swipe down the left side of the screen to lower brightness if the auto timer isn't to your liking. The Kobo book store obviously has a lot less than Amazon too.

Anyways I'm going to fix the Micro-USB port on the Oasis and sell it, definitely keeping the Kobo.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T8CZYF3

This might be the single most pointlessly expensive weird niche item I have ever found on Amazon.

If you ever get tennis elbow or an RSI, you’ll understand. Voice activation for ereaders is mostly crap or nonexistent.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Khizan posted:

IMO when you're deep in the Kindle ecosystem it's only worth switching to a different kind of ereader if you want to break out of the system altogether. If you're willing to stick with Amazon, just stick with the Kindle and avoid having to deal with breaking all your DRM and converting everything and whatnot.

This is why I got a Kobo, I just wanted out of the heavily DRM'd Amazon world. I actually prefer the Libra 2 to my Oasis in most respects too. I thought it was going to be a big trial but it was basically half an hour with Calibre to convert all of the books I cared about and might read again.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
You can enable Dropbox support on the Libra 2 and there is apparently library syncing with Calibre though I haven’t tried it myself. The Dropbox stuff is nice though, move ePub to folder and done.

I don’t use the page turn buttons on my Libra 2 as much as I thought, they are kinda stiff. Not a big deal, they do work but just feel a bit off I guess.

Mine freezes up once in a blue moon and I just reboot it, happened twice in year. Beyond those minor things I love the Libra 2 and don’t miss the Amazon ecosystem at all.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Went from a Kindle Oasis to a Libra 2 and couldn’t be happier. Not having to deal with Amazon DRM alone is a big deal, let alone all of the other features.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a Libra 2 and only read books so it seems like a sidegrade or even downgrade. I’ll just keep rocking this, my favourite ereader by far and very happy to be out of the Amazon ecosystem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
I find the buttons on the Libra 2 a bit stiff and have a few dead spots depending on where you press. It was a common complaint online in the reviews I read before I bought it but I assumed it was a QA thing and ignored them so that’s on me. It’s not the end of the world but I did get annoyed enough that I went back to tapping the screen which isn’t a big deal.

I’m still totally thrilled with it and vastly prefer it to my old Kindle PW and the Oasis.