Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Go to Preferences/Sharing books by email, and change the Formats bit (double click it) to only say MOBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
From the home page, go to the top and change the sort order to Collections (or anything except Most Recent First).

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Most pdfs (including that one) render perfectly in the new Kindle, it's just a bit too small to comfortably read them. Landscape mode makes it a lot better but it's not ideal.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Seriously, in the right light the Kindle's screen absolutely glows.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Not sure why you're using Calibre, I have Instapaper email the articles straight to my Kindle's free address:

http://www.instapaper.com/user/kindle

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Doctor Meat posted:

The secret to kindle browsing is to manually navigate to the mobile version of the site you want. Try going to nytimes.com on the Kindle browser. It's an unreadable mess. Go to mobile.nytimes.com. Works great. Having the device default to full monitor web sites was a dumb move when the mobile versions look better and are made to be navigable without a mouse. Most news, email, and social networking sites have a mobile version.
Also use this site: http://www.kinstant.com/

I mainly use mine when I'm away for Twitter, anki, gmail, google reader, bbc news, etc, and they all work pretty well.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
The kindle has to use some power for a timer to switch to the screensaver, and some form of polling to catch key presses.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Barnes & Noble have no presence over here, so what they should do is license the nooks and promote them in the stores. Making a whole new device sounds crazy.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed

Centipeed posted:

It seems as if the Kindle Touch isn't available in the UK. They're only advertising the non-touch Kindle (There needs to be a name for it).
They're calling the new one a Kindle and the 3rd gen a Kindle Keyboard.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
Have you tried entering a long string of characters to see if the button enables? It might need a hex key instead of the password.

Also, try temporarily turning off the security to see if it can connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
The 3g has a sim card in it which you can take out after removing the back. No idea if it would work though as the Europe and US versions have different serial numbers and firmware.