Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

ABFA00 posted:

That's the kind of information I was looking for when I asked about PDFs. The OP just said what ones supported the file type, but not all PDFs are the same. Some of mine are just images so that seemed iffy, but others are just text which seemed like it should be perfectly fine. The FAQ now is kind of helpful but I'm still curious about the definition of "sucks". What actually happens? Do they not load at all or do they look terrible- and how terrible? If the formatting is just messed up, or images don't load but the text is fine, I don't care. Is the text small? That's fine too, I'm the only person in my family with good eyesight- for exams I always print notes 8 or 16 pages per sheet and can read everything just fine.

I have low standards. I guess what my question should have been is, is there anywhere I can actually see pictures of PDFs loaded on different ereaders. Someone mentioned using Calibre to convert to the Kindle's format to see what it'd look like- does that process work for the other readers? I tried just now for one and the formatting is a bit off but it's still perfectly fine for my purposes.

If you load the PDF directly on the Kindle, it will display it fit-to-screen by default. Its displaying an entire printed page in an area significantly less than 1/4 its original size (for a 8.5x11 original). Most text ends up being very small if it is anything less than ~18pt font size originally (comparable to like <5pt. on the Kindle screen). It is usually legible in my experience, but definitely not pleasant to actually read. It ends up at about 1/4-1/3 the size of the regular ebook text that I have set, depending on the PDF.

If you try to convert a PDF with images, depending on the amount it can balloon in size (I had one go from ~14 MB to ~250 MB in MOBI format), and generally looks like crap. You'll usually lose all semblance of formatting from the original, images will end up on their own pages or not be there at all, etc.

You can turn the view sideways on the Kindle which helps somewhat, so you end up reading half of each page at a time. I've found this to be an ok compromise. Doesn't require zoom and the page turn buttons move to the bottom of the page you're on before going to the next page.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Everything you buy from here on out will probably use microUSB for at least a few years though, every smartphone (minus iPhone) I've seen uses it now, along with most digital cameras and mp3 players, etc.

This is truth. I didn't have anything with Micro USB until I got my Pre, and now I don't touch any of the million Mini USB cables anymore as every new thing I've been using has Micro USB instead.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

CrazyLittle posted:

If somebody with a kindle could test this PDF and let me know if the diagrams still flow/display properly that would be really helpful.

http://crymore.com/img/ccna-pages.pdf

Here's a couple shots of your PDF on a Kindle 3, in portrait and landscape views. There's no "reflow" in a PDF, that's the whole point of PDFs. They're supposed to display in the intended layout no matter where they're viewed.

Portrait view is legible, but would be a bit of a strain for more than the occasional skimming. Landscape is better.

These are kinda huge, to show what the resolution (800x600 if I'm not mistaken) does to the pictures and diagrams. Remember the screen is only 6" diagonal.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Is there a listing of different Kindle hacks out there somewhere? There's not really anything in particular that I want to do; I'm just curious as far as what can be done, really. I've done the custom screensaver hack, and I've seen font hacks, is that it?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

SLOSifl posted:

I kind of hope there aren't too many hacks for it. I love the screen on my Kindle, and the only reason I can sit down and actually use it for reading is that it's not a multi-function device. poo poo, I spent like 3 hours this week hacking and tweaking my phone just because I could. If I was trying to read a book, and could easily check my email, play some games, browse the web and hack the thing, I would never make it through a book in a reasonable amount of time. I am very easily distracted if the distractions are in my hand.

No doubt, I was talking more like UI hacks and tweaks, personally. The thing already has a web browser. All the drat distraction in the world, though I usually don't touch it.

I think a couple things I wish I could do the most would be to have the ability to organize into collections based on folder substructure on the device, and to have it display last-read book cover art as the standby screen.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Trig Discipline posted:

Do you ever read a sentence and have it occur to you that you're reading something that someone from the past could not possibly understand?

This:

Would be complete gibberish to someone from only a few decades ago, and yet it makes perfect sense to me. Amazing.

Seriously, aside from "command line," that would be a pretty bewildering/terrifying thing to read even as recent as what, '84?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

Because hey, if it's good enough for Jeff Bezos' Kindle...

Maybe its just me, but that sounded like a very uncomfortable, terse interview. :v:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Apparently they used the same metal clips as the lighted version (which is how the lighted version gets power), and those gently caress with the Kindle somehow. Probably create some kind of short in certain conditions.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Javid posted:

As long as that bullshit doesn't infect the ones people paid full price for, whatever.

Seriously. If (when) these ads start showing up in the next firmware update I'm gonna be pissed.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Tempted to try and sell my k3 now. That new nook is very nice looking. With the physical page turn buttons, the touchscreen wouldn't even see that much use from me.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Welp, listing my kindle3 I guess. The new Nook looks much nicer.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BobTheCow posted:

What the gently caress, am I stupid? I've had a Kindle 3 for a month or two now, and have loaded it up with a bunch of stuff from the Amazon store and Project Gutenberg with no problems. Now I just bought a bunch of those 25 cent books from a couple posts up, downloaded Calibre to convert the epub into mobi, but it's saying they're DRM locked.

Am I poo poo out of luck? I can't figure out a way around this. I have zero interest in reading these books if I can't get them onto my Kindle.

Its the DRM that is preventing you from converting them in Calibre, obviously. The Project Gutenberg books are not DRM locked, which is why they convert in Calibre. Google should help you out.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sperg Victorious posted:

Its mostly just about what happens when you do run into problems not so much the incident rate.

So what does happen in the case of a nook failure? Is B&N exceptionally lovely with customer care or something? This particular device technically released today, so I can't imagine that there are many "I've waited weeks for a replacement" types of instances.

Or is it more about how great Amazon tends to be with Kindle issues?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Man, Amazon's support really is great. I just got around to calling about the hairline fracture in the lower left corner of the bezel that's been there for most of the 9 months I've had my kindle 3, and has been slowly getting longer over time, and as soon as I started explaining the damage the CSR started apologizing profusely and arranged a replacement that should be here by Tuesday at the latest. I've never been able to replace a piece of electronics with any kind of physical damage without getting the third degree.

Thanks, Amazon. Give me something more like the nook's new form factor with the Kindle 4, and I'll come back for sure.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I've just received my replacement kindle, and I'm getting ready to list it to sell. In the documentation it says it should already be registered to my account, as it was "purchased" using that account. It shows no registration on the kindle's settings screen, however. Does that mean it is definitely not registered with my info? Or is it waiting to connect to a network to phone home and get that info? If I just reset to factory default will that all get wiped anyway?

Basically I don't want any of my info on the new device. I can't find anything on Amazon's site that says I have one registered (I deregistered the original one already).

Also this new one is running 3.2, what's up with that?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
So you literally just show them another ereader when you go to buy your nook? That seems... somewhat exploitable.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

FidgetyRat posted:

Only problem I found with the ziplock bag solution is condensation. After reading at the beach for an hour or so, there is moisture droplets at the top of the bag that freaks me out a little.

Haven't figured out how to combat this yet besides putting some paper towel in with the kindle.

Save up desiccant packs from stuff, or they can even be purchased online.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

Ouch. Borders is completely done. All remaining stores are going to be liquidated.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/18/news/companies/borders_liquidation/index.htm

That's too bad. Good thing I used up my gift cards a few months ago.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Sporadic posted:

Amazon really hosed up my plan to sell my Kindle. Now every idiot is emailing me going "Kindle 3G is only $139 :downs:"

Seriously, I was going to unload mine for a touch Nook, that blew that plan all to hell. Should have moved quicker, I guess.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The only thing I can think of is if you're somewhere that Amazon won't sell you one, maybe (I don't know if this is even a thing)? The guy selling for $130 ships worldwide apparently.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
"And here is Sally, to demonstrate her fist."

That color eInk looks great. Can't wait to see shipping products with it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mu Zeta posted:

gently caress publishers

But its auto-delivered! Wirelessly! For free!! What a steal!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Telex posted:

well I haven't had a problem with the two of them that I bought in the past. I figure you can get bad cheap chinese electronics for anything you get really. Or you can get the stuff from the good batch I guess.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that when you can get a 1A charger like that from a Palm Pre or whatever, that will work with most other devices besides iPhones for a couple bucks already, why risk the no-name crap in the first place?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Will Kobo Desktop bug me if I leave it installed but don't use it? Do I need it for updates after initial setup, or can the device (Aura HD) do that on its own like my Kindle?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Somebody just won the auction for my used Aura HD on eBay for over MSRP. Are these really hard to find or something? It looks like I can just order one right from Kobo if I want. :confused:

Not complaining of course!

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

fordan posted:

Just be aware of the various eBay scams, like "oops, I sent you a payment for too much money by mistake, could you ship me the item and send me a payment for the difference?" where their initial payment proves to be fraudulent and gets pulled back/not honored.

Well, he ended up not paying at all (a "sudden expense" came up :rolleyes: ), so not the worst that could happen I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Apoffys posted:

Ok, thanks. Are there any better apps for Android though? It's specifically highlighting/selecting text that's really buggy and annoying, do any other apps handle that better than Kindle?

I've been using Play Books and it's great.