Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004
photographs of the best time you had
window smudged by the speed

Parker Lewis posted:

Yeah, drat, I wasn't expecting them to be able to do much in software but with 1.5 my nook seems to turn pages just as fast as the Kindle 3 that I played with at Staples earlier today. Cool!

Wow...it's amazing. Makes you wonder what they were doing wrong with the software before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004

pienipple posted:

There's a lot of reasons book piracy isn't as prevalent as movie or music piracy. For one it's labor intensive to make a digital copy of a book you own a physical copy of, which is the complete opposite of ripping your CDs or DVDs to digital files. There's also no big book sharing service or program like Napster, Audio Galaxy, or KaZaA was for music (and viruses) back in the day.

While it's ridiculously easy to find pirated comics, if you're looking for a pirated copy of a book and it's not a recent, preferably big name release you're probably going to end up with either a PDF full of scanned images of each page or a poorly OCRed poorly formatted text file.

On top of that while the ereader market was still miniscule Sony and Mobipocket both had stores catering to ebook buyers, along with a few early adopter publishers like Baen Books.

Honestly, this is really not the case. Ebook scanners get really into it, I've seen some impressive scanning setups. The books are out there and the scanners put some effort into it.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I am kinda OCD about my collection, I get the metadata for the books and the right covers, etc.

Also, and this is a huge part of it, I have been doing the ebook reading bit for a long time, and I have a 4 or 5 gig collection. Renaming that and trying to keep it in some kind of order would be pretty much impossible to do.

If I had a small collection, say under 100 books or so, yea no problem. At last count it's something like 3000+ in my calibre library on my main PC, and that's not including the backups I have that I haven't gotten around to importing/fixing/converting.

Sony's setup just works the easiest for me when it comes to keeping track of what goes where and with who.

Just root your nook, jeez. You can use tags from calibre with trook and the replacement library app I believe. I can't imagine returning something for a reason like that...especially when you can just search for whatever you're looking for. I have over 1000 books on my nook and I haven't had any problems.

Paco de Suave
Sep 13, 2004

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Well, the problem with that is a: there isn't a rooted version of 1.5 yet, and b: I don't want to void my warranty for something that should, to me, already be available.

Also, c: I read up on how to root the nook before the update came out, and I don't really feel comfortable doing it. Not exactly that techy of a guy.

a) There is. The nookdevs guys are really awesome. - http://www.perfinion.com:81/nookdevs/bravo_update-2.5.0.dat

b) It's a 5 second process to flash back to the original firmware

c) If "Copy two files to the reader's memory and hold the '<' key while it reboots" is too complicated...what are you doing with an ereader in the first place? Surely that's easier than setting the tags in calibre and whatnot.