Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I would like to point out I am already having issues with my Nook Color. The touch screen seems to have a mind of its own and stops responding. I don't know if its a software issue, a bad touch screen or if its from excessive finger prints. Wiping it off seems to stop it, but that could just be in my head.

Really I am not a greasy fingered goon! I fear they will be out of stock tomorrow when I go to exchange it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I have noticed that the display on the nook color will flicker on camera. I think I pointed this out in the last thread. I do not know if this can cause eyestrain because 99% of the time you cannot see it with the naked eye. I can notice it when the brightness is low and on a greyish screen.

I took a video to show you what I am talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziiDphsujKs

All the other LCD screen devices I have in the house does NOT do this. A galaxy tab does not have this behavior. I wonder if my device is defective....

EDIT:

Daric posted:

Stop eating pizza while using it.

I have never had a touchscreen device behave like this before, its not my fingers, but I know you are joking. :)

EDIT2: Maybe I am retarded and this is how IPS LCD panels work? I just tried switching the brightness with my Sharp TV and it does the same thing.
Last edit I promise: Here is a video of my nook color freaking out on me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIVx184jClQ

Capnbigboobies fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Nov 20, 2010

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

the_reading_rainbow posted:

What's the best reader under $150 for PDF books? Not all-text either, some of these files contain scanned pages... Kindle DX looks nice but drat, kind of expensive. Any recommendations?

The Nook Color is awesome for PDF's other than the fact it does not remember what page you were on. Complex and small-font pdf's are really frustrating on the kindle 3g in my opinion.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004
I returned the nook color, perhaps I had a bum device, but it was buggy at best for me after using it for a few days. The browser would crash frequently which would require a hard reboot. The interface, while impressive still needs work.

I also did not find the screen that great for reading.

After doing some research I learned that some led lit screens do in fact flicker when the brightness is reduced. With the brightness set all the way down I can see flickering on a grey screen. I had to have the brightness set to about midway for it to be comfortable. The screen may work great for others, but not for me.

I still think its a great device and is the cheapest thing on the market that can handle pdfs reasonably well, it just the software needs kinks worked out. The deal breaker for me was the screen. I had a galaxy tab side by side with the NC and I found it much easier to read on.

If you are thinking of getting one go ahead and buy one at a BN store. If you do not like it just return it. My return was a smooth process and no restocking fee.

My problem is I want too much out of a "e-reader." I need to face facts, what I really want is an ipad. I will just get a 2nd gen day-one.

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Speaking of Nook Color, they pushed out a new software update that broke my wifi. I called for support and they helped me do a full reset without telling me that that's what we were doing, or that it would delete all my files. Thanks, dicks.

I have everything backed up and can put it back on, but it does seem that you should perhaps say to a customer "hey, this is going to delete all of your stuff" before you walk them through the procedure that will delete all of their stuff.

The poor support I got from BN was one of the reasons I returned my nook color. My screen would randomly freak out and the device would constantly freeze and require a reboot. They would not even let me exchange it back in November. I just got my money back and said gently caress it. I guess I am too used to dealing with Apple?

EDIT: I still think the NC is good for 250 bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capnbigboobies
Dec 2, 2004

Flyboy925 posted:

I am having no luck with electronics lately. I have the Nook Color, and its do some weird stuff. I will be in the middle of reading, and the 'page slider' will come up, and start shuffling randomly through the pages available. There's no way to get it to stop, other than to hit the power button, to turn it 'off' and back on. Its happened about 3-4 times in a week do far. Time to get a new one?

Mine did the exact same thing. This is super common with the device. I think its from the screen getting dirty. Sadly the touch panel is really lovely. Here is a vid of mine freaking out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIVx184jClQ.

I returned mine and I will be waiting for the ipad2.