Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

fishmech posted:

Well here's a fact: very few books that aren't for children or manchildren even have color pictures, or pictures in general in them!

Maybe your twilight collection lacks pictures but plenty science or finance nonfiction books contain a host of black and white diagrams and small illustrations. I'm sure there are other types too but I'm specifically referring to the manchildren books I read.

Your horrible assumptions lead you to frequently over generalize your posts and make you a reliable source for nothing; however it's obvious you clearly want to be the authority on all things eBook in the realm of SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Price jumped up on the sony readers. Guess it was a thanksgiving sale v:confused:v

Sony would have a great product if they could remove their heads from their rear end in a top hat. It's like part of their eBook unit is super good and the other half (marketing, pricing, eBook store, desktop client) is full of complete gently caress ups that don't understand their customer. It's a shame.

In other news. I should have got my PRS600 back from this girl I just broke things off with recently. Apparently she's a completely Immature bitch and smashed it. Just in time for this incredible Sony sale you speak of!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

madprocess posted:

So you're both bad at reading or something? It's not "locked the gently caress down" because a single format doesn't work on it. And Mobipocket is an open standard that is part of the Open eBook Publication Structure. And if Mobipocket is so "not widely used" why does the most popular reader on the market use it, as well as most readers that aren't Sony and B&N? Hell I have Mobipocket purchased books from back on my Palm VIIx in 2000.

Again I say, if Amazon not supporting one format makes them locked down, the nook must be locked down because it doesn't support a different format. You can't argue with that in any logical way.

Amazon does not support a format that EVERY other reader supports. In reverse Nook doesn't support mobi, okay, but nor do a lot of other readers. Not supporting the format the industry is attempting to standardize is going against the grain for personal interest.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

madprocess posted:

It is not true that every other reader supports EPUB, sorry, only most. Incidentally most readers besides Sony and B&N support Mobi. And it's completely retarded for people to cry ☭卐LOCKDOWN FASCISM FROM HERR BEZOS卐☭ because the Kindle doesn't support EPUB currently.

Sorry, could you tell me one major reader which does not support ePub outside of Kindle?

Sony, Kobo, iPad, Nook, iRex, that piece of poo poo on dell's site someone posted on the last page.... all of them support ePub. Oh yeah and Google's new book purchase thing. ePub.

Actually it is true. Kindle is the only one who doesn't support ePub. Sony, iPad, Nook and Kobo do not support Mobi. Aside from Amazon's use of the format it's basically defunct.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Diabolik900 posted:

It's also worth noting that EPUB has really only started to appear on "every reader" in the past year or so, and mobipocket has been around since the prehistoric days of ebooks.

So other manufactures have conformed to a norm and amazon hasn't. It's like giving your device WMA compatibility only when everyone else is using Mp3.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

madprocess posted:

How is it the norm when most of the market is using Kindle and Mobipocket? You're like that guy who's mad mp3 players play mp3s and not OGG Vorbis.

Oh I see. Since Amazon is the biggest eBook seller they should just dictate what everyone else uses. But are they? Hasn't iPad/iBooks outsold Kindle already? They will soon if they haven't.

And no, your argument is not accurate. It's more like the guy complaining that a web site doesn't work in Firefox because someone coded it to only work in IE since it's the biggest which by your definition is the market norm.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Sporadic posted:

He's not trolling, he's just insanely pro Apple/anti Amazon.

Not really. I think Kindle 3 is the best reader on the market right now for the money. That doesn't mean I have to agree with their methods of book distribution and lack of Adobe DRM support.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

adm posted:

Thanks, glad to know it's not defective.

Just blink or something - but yeah you'll get used to it. eInk has a super slow refresh rate.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

maxnmona posted:

I have no idea how Sony is on that, so I can't compare

Unless they've changed in the last year Sony's customer service is loving horrible.

Repairs cost more than a new unit. Or my favorite was when I submitted a trouble ticket for a book that wouldn't work... I got a response to the ticket nearly a year later saying there was no problem with the book and thank you for submitting my ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

FidgetyRat posted:

One thing that is just opinion and speculation on my part is that the Nook and the Kindle have such a huge following, I personally don't think Sony can keep up and can forsee sony dropping the ebook line in the future.

I don't think you're wrong about that. Hardware wise I think they made some of the better eReaders but they never really understood (and still don't), software, book distribution or syncing.

Actually the software on the eReader itself wasn't bad. Pretty good in fact. It is lovely forced desktop client that kills their success.

I think at this point their best option really would be to throw in the towel. Or kill all the models that aren't their wifi/3g version. Sync more poo poo on their servers and lower their prices. I don't think they'll do any of those things though.