Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Slotducks posted:

I bought a Kindle 3rd Generation on launch day. Took a while to get up here to Canada though, but I love it.

I just get a little frustrated by some books not being available for Canadian Kindles. It kinda sucks.
Keep checking back to the Amazon site to see if the books you want have been added as Kindle editions. About half a dozen titles I wanted for the Kindle on the UK launch were only available in paperback, but they've been released for the Kindle now. Also, try hitting the Tell the Publisher! I’d like to read this book on Kindle link, presumably the more people that request a Kindle version, the more likely it is to be available.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 26, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

brylcreem posted:

I actually just did - IT (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SR2PKG/) is still full of OCR errors. Misplaced italics, misplaced punctuation, "Deny" instead of "Derry", line breaks, missing spaces, all that poo poo. I started to put notes on the errors after the first couple of times, and in checking, I have 58 notes on http://kindle.amazon.com A few of them are genuine notes, though.

They may not all be OCR errors - I read It about 2 years ago, and there were a few spelling mistakes and that kind of thing. This is a paperback edition I bought when I a kid, around '91-'92 or so. Great book though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I asked a while ago about Kindle cases. A few people recommended the Timbuk2 Envelope Sleeve, but this doesn't seem likely to be available in the UK any time soon. My remaining choices are the BUILT Neoprene Kindle Sleeve or the Belkin Grip Kindle Sleeve.

Does anyone have any recommendation on which of the two latter cases would be best?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Clara posted:

I don't know about the Belkin but I love the BUILT one. The Kindle fits very snugly and doesn't fall out even if I turn the sleeve upside down and shake it. I will warn you that the lime green is a lot more eye-searingly bright than the picture makes it look. Green's my favourite colour but it was so bad I returned it and went for black.
So is there a fair bit of padding in the BUILT one?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I've been looking at a few reviews of these cases - there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference in the protection they offer. Looks more like a matter of personal preference than anything else. God I'm so indecisive.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cheers for the input folks. At the moment I'm not considering an attachable cover as I intend to read the Kindle naked. I'm not 12 anymore either, but I have a bunch of nieces who run around the place so I'd like something to completely cover the device.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

How necessary is a case for the newest kindle? Friend of mine has one and while the small size is a plus, it also makes it look a bit flimsy.
I got a Kindle 3 last month there - I wouldn't call it flimsy, dainty maybe, but I refused to take it out of the house until I got a cover for it. I have and would recommend both the Belkin Grip Sleeve and the Timbuk2 Plush Sleeve. The Timbuk2 sleeve feels a bit more secure but both do the job of keeping the Kindle a bit less susceptible to bullshit.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

m0isty posted:

Some of these look good:

http://www.oberondesign.com/Kindle3.php

I pray for the day someone makes a Necronomicon version from The Evil Dead.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'm having trouble using Calibre 0.7.47. The book I've got has a much too wide left margin - about 1.5cm. I want to reduce this to about 0.5cm. I've tried reducing the Left margin in Page Setup to 0pt and 0.5pt but it doesn't seem to affect the margin at all. I'm outputting in Kindle MOBI format. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Preferences, check Ignore margins in the Output Options - Mobi Output. Sorted. I wish I weren't so anally retentive about my ebooks being perfectly laid out. But I'm like that with lots of stuff in life - spelling and grammar mostly. Nothing send's me further into blind rage than poor speling and apostrophies' thrown around like there going out off fashion.

(Sic.)

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Feb 26, 2011

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I don't understand the Kindle email thing. There's a free address, where you can email stuff. But then there's the one that can charge you, which I have set to £0.00. What's the difference in these addresses and what does the "paid" one do that the free one doesn't?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

fishmech posted:

The paid one delivers over 3G AND permanently stores your converted or personal documents at Amazon so they can be retrieved just like books you deleted from the device.

Oh I see. What effect does setting the max cost to £0.00 do? Does that mean I can't send anything over 3G?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any rumours on the Kindle 4? If it weren't against God and against nature, I'd marry my Kindle 3.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

In the Kindle 3.1 software, is there an easy way to delete a bunch of bookmarks in any particular book without going to each bookmark and deleting them individually?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In the Kindle 3.1 software, is there an easy way to delete a bunch of bookmarks in any particular book without going to each bookmark and deleting them individually?

Anyone? Bueller?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Spot on, cheers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

dont eat a carb posted:

I'm just going to drop by and interrupt this sad-fest to say, hello thread!

I should have a Kindle 3 and lighted cover showing up in the mail within a few hours - and I just got laid off! :iamafag: so I'll probably be around. The job I got laid off from was graphic design, so maybe I'll do some cool screen savers or something.

:suicide:

Not to derail the thread but Mozilla might have something up your street:
http://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?k=JobListing&c=qpX9Vfwa&v=1

I've heard a few things here and there about Amazon maybe releasing an Android tablet at some stage. While this rumour is nothing new, I take it that no matter what happens they'll still produce a Kindle with an E-ink screen? It's one of the main reasons I love reading on the thing - I have zero interest in an LCD, wrist-breaking tablet.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Will the Kobo or nook ever see the light of day in the UK? I'm quite emotionally attached to my Kindle but others are interested.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Rastor posted:

So I guess some crazy hacker figured out a way to hack Kindle software 3.2 onto 2.x devices (including the DX and DX Graphite). Anyone here crazy enough to try it?
http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comments/hmyo5/hack_to_install_kindle_3x_on_kindle_2_and_dx/

There's a 3.2 update?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is the new nook exclusive to North America or will there be a worldwide launch some time?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vertigus posted:

If you like that then try putting your ear close to the device when you change the page.

Hahahahahaha wtf is this? And how did you come to know about this?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vertigus posted:

I slept in a very quiet room and when reading in bed I'd prop my head up a few inches away from my Kindle. I thought I was going crazy until I figured out what that noise was.

Gotcha, thought you may have really misunderstood how Audible books work.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Centipeed posted:

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was published 14 years ago, but I wouldn't put it past them to sell it for $15.

Also, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was published 14 years ago.

:psyduck:
Why was it called The "Sorcerer's Stone" in the US?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Quantify! posted:

Kids don't want to read about philosophy

Kids in every other country didn't seem to mind. Or was it only Philosopher's Stone in the UK?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

commish posted:

New Kindles and a Kindle tablet on the way by October...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303406104576444213058153874.html

WSJ posted:

The two new black-and-white Kindle electronic readers will use the same technology as in the previous Kindles

Did Amazon not say that they weren't going to introduce new Kindles until E Ink brought out updated screen technology? I love my Kindle to bits, I love Amazon and I'm a sucker for new gadgets, but does anyone have any idea what the non-touch variety of Kindle would have over the current-gen device?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I read that the Amazon Tablet will perhaps be the second touchscreen Kindle device. Was I stupid to think there would be two E Ink Kindles, one with touch and one without, plus the tablet?

http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/wininfo-short-takes-july-15-2011-139828

Paul Thurrott posted:

Apparently, Amazon will deliver an update to its traditional, e-ink-based Kindle devices, but also a multi-touch, color version of the Kindle that's based on Android

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vertigus posted:

If Amazon releases a tablet with full Android capability they'll be doing a great thing.

Also, they should fix their Kindle app so it isn't slow as hell on my nook :mad:

It won't be eInk though. Not a chance. That stuff isn't read for prime time.

I know the tablet won't be E Ink, but I thought the touch screen Kindle being rumoured might be E Ink, like the Kobo and Nook touch or whatever it's called. Didn't drop with me that the touch-enabled Kindle would just be an app on an LCD tablet.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there a way to change the display of the time on the Kindle 3 to 24-hour clock?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 15, 2011

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

FidgetyRat posted:

Very excited to see a new home screen show up at some point, and some better customization.

Is that something you've read or just a personal wish list?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I take it Amazon always ask you to return the damaged Kindles?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is there any word on Amazon UK customers being able to purchase Kindle books for other Kindle users from the likes of their Wish List? I know the Yanks have had this ability for at least a few months now. But dammit, I'm not a Yank.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jesus H. gently caress what the gently caress is it with publishers setting ebook prices higher than print prices? I know this has been done to death but I've got no one else to ventilate to. The ebook I'm looking at is only £1.52 dearer than the hardback but seriously, this is bollocks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Heads-up to UK goons:

BBC News posted:

Waterstone's is to launch a digital e-reader to rival Amazon's Kindle next year.

The company's managing director, James Daunt, told Radio 4's You and Yours that he had been inspired by Barnes & Noble's successful Nook device.

The US bookseller is one of the few high street retailers to have challenged Amazon's growing dominance in both physical and electronic sales.

Full story here. I'm a pretty big Amazon/Kindle fanboy, but more mass-market e-readers in the UK can only be a good thing.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Oben posted:

Barnes & Noble have no presence over here, so what they should do is license the nooks and promote them in the stores. Making a whole new device sounds crazy.

I hope it's an E Ink screen and not just some cheap tablet like the nook color (sic). I've got zero interest in LCD-type displays for a reader.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I really think the Amazon tablet will be the first to come close to challenging Apple. But only if its $199 for the cheap model.

I wish Amazon would mirror their US infrastructure in the UK. For instance, Amazon Prime here only gives you unlimited first class shipping. I gather in the US it gives you streaming movies and all sorts of funky poo poo. Also, their site design in the UK always trails the US by several months.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they fold Love Film into Prime at some point, or at least into a higher tier of Prime.

I hope so, and I hope they improve the streaming selection on it, because almost every bloody thing I want to watch is via post only. The UI is quite pedestrian (on the PS3 anyway) and is in dire need of an overhaul.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'm reading a lot of reports that the Amazon announcement this week will be about the Kindle Tablet. While this is probably a given, I was under the impression that there would also be a new Kindle ebook reader announced - but I haven't heard anything about this in a while. Anyone heard anything about a new ereader?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

New Kindles then....

Do the IR touchscreens still work OK in bright daylight? How does it impact battery? Is there a new E Ink screen on these ones or is it just last year's Pearl screen overlayed with IR sensors?

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 28, 2011

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

the littlest prince posted:

What is the kindle 3's keyboard used for?

I have an 8 digit password protect on my Kindle. Keying in the password with my current Kindle 3 keyboard is a breeze, and I have to do this fairly regularly (I'm paranoid that someone is either going to steal it, or that something will knock onto a button and lose my place). I can imagine this being a pain in the rear end on the non-touch Kindle 4. Maybe I should just use a shorter password.

Or maybe stick with my Kindle 3. I'm so torn. Think I might need to handle the new ones first. Also, any word on Kindle Touch for the UK? I think I'd like the touch, especially seeing you can turn the page without using two hands. Need to know how bad the ghosting would be on these new ones though.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Junkenstein posted:

You need to use two hands to turn a page on the kindle 3?

Nope, but I thought you needed to do something like that on touch screen readers without physical page turn buttons. Sorry, I'm talking nonsense. Been a long day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Car Stranger posted:

The UK apparently isn't getting the Kindle Touch

Yet? Or ever? I know it's not listed on the Amazon UK page at present.