Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Is there any way to remove a title from the main list when you put it into a collection? I'd like to arrange my books so that I can put several books in a series in one collection and not have them clutter up my main page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
I occasionally have issues with my Kindle's refresh rate. It seems that most of the time it's really fast to change pages, but every once in awhile it slows down to a noticeable degree. Sometimes it's a little slower which is bearable, but othertimes it's significantly slower, like over a full second to refresh. It seems to fix itself after awhile, but I'm wondering what's causing it in the first place.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Ah, I guess that would make sense. I guess it's typical of E-ink screens if the Sony also does it? It won't cause any damage to the unit when it's being used in those temperatures, right?

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Ara posted:

As far as I'm aware Amazon Japan doesn't have anything like Prime, but all shipping is free all the time, and they offer convenience store payment and delivery (which is amazing). I think the site design is exactly the same as the US page, although I haven't actually used the US one for a long time except for Kindle books.

Amazon Prime exists in Japan, it gives you free same-day/1-day shipping depending on where you live. You can't use Prime if you only play through convenience store, since there's no way to predict when you'll actually make the payment, same reason why you can't do scheduled delivery through convenience store payments.

If you have a credit card then it's very easy to sign up and use Prime, I think the price is comparable to the American Amazon store although you don't get any video service. The normal shipping is pretty fast though, so I find it kind of pointless unless you absolutely must have something the day it comes out.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
What's the deal with all of the new magazines on the Kindle store now? They only work for the Fire or iPad, although some of those are available on the normal Nook so e-ink versions should exist.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
It seems like the Kindle is finally coming to Japan in December, as is the Kindle fire. The Japanese Amazon site has a ton of Japanese books already prepared for Kindle versions, so it should be interesting to see.

drat shame they couldn't have gotten it earlier than the Kobo's release earlier this year, which was a complete mess. I heard so many negative things about how Rakuten handled it, and apparently the machine itself was buggy and difficult to use. Kind of sullied the name of e-readers, and I knew several people who were waiting for the localized Kindle but gave up and just bought the Kobo.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Rexroom posted:

That's probably what to expect in the beginning, the firmware Kobo has released lately have more or less ironed out those issues, and the new Kobo Glo looks like a formidable opponent to Amazon's offering. What I'd be more worried about are the japanese publishers: Are they gonna jump on the ebook bandwagon?

There's plenty of Japanese books and manga on the Amazon store, and Japanese e-bookstore apps are also easily available for iOS/Android. The Amazon store even has English-language books available.

Prices aren't that great though, especially in a culture where used books are everywhere and degrade list prices like crazy.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
You can just buy individual issues if it's such an issue, likely the higher price will be less than the extra delivery fees.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
When I was in China, I could only access the store and Wikipedia, not the normal Internet through 3G.

It seems like the Japanese version of the 3G kindle only has 3G support in Japan, not other countries? I'm thinking of upgrading my 3rd gen but the worldwide 3G has been useful at times, so maybe it's best to import again, despite the higher price.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

SB35 posted:

Kindle Keyboard? 3G internet should work in China, mine did without issue.

You had a Japanese 3G Kindle? Maybe it supports different 3G bands that aren't available in China as Japan uses weirdo mobile phone frequencies.

I have an American 3rd gen keyboard. Maybe it depends on where you are, but I tried using it for browsing sites in Beijing a year ago and got the message that web browsing is not supported in my location or something like that. Had to run around and try to find stable wifi spots, which was quite challenging. The Wikipedia support was pretty useful in researching things though. The 3G web browser works fine in Japan and other countries that I travel to.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Spug posted:

Bump this thing because Amazon and Hachette are fighting and it's pretty crazy

(and also I forgot I had just posted here before going back several pages so sorry for double posting)

Man, I can't help but feel this article might just be a "bit" biased, with an opening like this:

quote:

Seeking ever-higher payments from publishers to bolster its anemic bottom line, Amazon is holding books and authors hostage on two continents by delaying shipments and raising prices. The literary community is fearful and outraged — and practically begging for government intervention.

Yeah, I'm sure Amazon is really hurting by not getting the pennies-to-dollars extra per book sale and their survival rests on extorting the publishers. There's probably a lot we don't know going behind the scenes, but I'd guess that it's more of not backing down and setting a precedence.

Considering that we got the agency model the last time Amazon had a feud and backed down from it in the end, I'm willing to give them a bit more credit then just wanting to purely chase profits. What a poorly-written sensational article.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Does the Oasis 3G version no longer let you read Wikipedia for free? They don't mention it in the feature list, and it is a thing that I used at times so it would be unfortunate if they removed support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The latest planet money is about publishers vs. libraries in regards to e books and might be interesting to people here:

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/09/1135639385/libraries-publishers-ebooks-e-books-macmillan-protest-amazon-bezos

Personally I think they take the whole “those poor publishers losing so many sales to local libraries!” too much at face value and how apparently everyone has 10 different library accounts to get around restrictions (I’d be amazed if it’s more than 1% of library users), but it shows how each side is doing and how publishers are getting more and more aggressive on fighting libraries.