Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

tarepanda posted:

How do you hold your kindle such that none of your fingers are near the edge of your screen?

Balancing it in the folds of a blanket cocoon, obviously.

I've used my nose to turn pages before on my Kindle Touch because I didn't want to take my hands out of the toasty warm blanket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Yeah, it feels like all the non-hardcore readers just use their phones/tablets so they don't care about downloads. The hardcore ones use stuff like Calibre and like page turn buttons... Guess we know which demographics everybody is aiming for.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Just pre-ordered the Voyage. The estimated arrival date is now December 3-5, so if you are planning one as a Christmas gift don't hesitate much longer.

I also ordered the gimmicky origami case. I'm hoping it will be nicer than balancing my Kindle against a printer at work.

I'm upgrading from a Kindle 4 Touch and am looking forward to finally having a front light.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

Same thing with library checkouts, you need to use ADE or strip the DRM to use Calibre. Kindle's library implementation is much better, isn't it downloaded directly to your device through wifi?

Yes, it's downloaded directly through wi-fi via Amazon. Pretty nifty.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
My Voyage came early!

I upgraded from a K4T that had started to have battery problems. The Voyage is worth it to me simply to not have to dig crumbs/cat hair off the sunken screen. The increased resolution is very nice, and I enjoy the page turn buttons. I didn't think I'd use the buttons, but laying on the couch reading proved their worth.

The origami case makes a good a stand and seems sturdy enough to keep my Kindle safe in my bag. I do miss the strap my old Marware case has, so I may pick up another case at some point.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Rubby posted:

After going through three replacement Voyages I'm starting to wonder - do all Voyages have a colour gradient (from blue on the bottom to an almost sepia at the top) to some degree and the only difference is people's sensitivities to it? Looking at a number of the 5 star reviews on Amazon that include pictures or videos they all seem to have the gradient there, the reviewer just didn't seem to notice or care.

Mine has a gradient, but faint. I notice it, my husband doesn't. I also stop noticing it after a minute or two. I think it's just a thing.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Alder posted:

Alright thanks :)

Anyone try a Kindle Voyage yet? I'm not a early adoptor but I did read this interesting blog entry about e-ink: http://blog.codinghorror.com/the-evolution-of-eink/

They did fix that annoying flashing effect when going to the next page right? I tried out a few e-readers at BN and Borders (RIP) and it was extremely annoying.

I have a Voyage. It's very nice! I really appreciate the flat screen. The light is nicely even, too.

The flashing effect is barely noticeable now and you'll get used to it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Alder posted:

Welp, here and I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with it on higher-end or newer e-readers too. Does it have a dictionary function? I never realized how often I relied on mine until I tried to read books on my old Aluratek e-reader and then there were many words I wasn't 99% sure of the definition but never noticed it before.

Is it very fragile? I keep my N7 in a folio case in a separate compartment on my bag away from small items.

You seriously will get used to it-- the screen is faster than the older generations-- and it only happens like every 15 pages.

In-line dictionary is present, and it has the Vocabulary Builder that's present in the later Kindle OS versions. It gives flashcards of words you've previously looked up.

I wouldn't consider it more fragile than any other electronic item. A folio case is all you need. Don't drop it on the concrete, etc. I keep mine in a flipcase in my bag with a lot of random junk but don't give it its own compartment.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a way to adjust the haptic feedback on the Kindle Voyage? I thought I heard about that during reviews but I can't find a setting for it.

Settings > Reading Options > PagePress

effika
Jun 19, 2005

BONESAWWWWWW posted:

I own a Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight, and it's basically one of my favorite gadgets. I absolutely love it and fell like it meets about all of my needs quite well. I've even rooted it so that I can add more books from my Dropbox folders automatically, which is awesome.

That being said, the one thing I wish I could do would be putting a red filter over the screen for easier night reading. I've looked into getting an acrylic sheet cut, but I'm not sure I have all the dimensions exactly right and I have no idea how I'd go about rounding the corners, and it costs more than i'm comfortable with just to attempt it. Does anyone have any ideas? Using the touchscreen is not an essential as long as i'm able to unlock it; I use the physical page turn buttons and can disable the touchscreen from a side loaded app.

Look into a theater lighting gel, perhaps. Much easier to cut than acrylic sheeting, though depending on the quality you find it may be just as expensive.

noirstronaut posted:

e2: I just want to say that it's especially dumb that PagePress utilizes the lines to go forward and dots to go back instead of left going back and right going forward. Very dumb, Amazon.

It makes sense for me-- I switch up which hand gets the Kindle, and having them available on both sides is convenient. Just move your thumb a little and only use the back button on the left side and the forward button on the right side if it bothers you.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Is there some way to have the Voyage wake up with a page press or a side button press? I bought a gorgeous case on Etsy but there's no hole in the back.

How do the Origami cases automatically turn it on and off? I thought it was with the light sensor.

The magnet that turns it on is somewhere in the lower right front part of the kindle. Use the fridge magnet idea above to figure out where, then find a way to incorporate that into your case.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

goodness posted:

Well that makes that decision easy at least.

Now to decide Paperwhite or Voyage. I have picked up a couple ereaders in my time but never had one or used it.

If you get crumbs in your books a lot, you'll appreciate the flat front of the Voyage. (I know I do.) The side buttons are nice, but I'm not sure if the whole package is worth so much more than the Paperwhite. The extra resolution is nice if you look at PDFs.

As to your earlier ad/no-ad question, get the ads version first. You can always do the ad-free upgrade later if they bug you (it's just a quick software update). Sometimes the ads are actually pretty good coupons, though-- my mom keeps the ads on hers for that reason.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Snuffman posted:

What this means is, you sign into your library's ebook lending site, and "take out" an ebook. Back in the day this was done through Adobe Editions? Not sure what the common program is now. The software makes sure your copy self-destructs in 2 weeks time, and if a license for a book is used you can't take it out. Applying scarcity to digital formats.

Could be different now, someone can correct me. 

My library checks out the limited copies of their ebooks through Amazon if you're using a kindle. The process is painless, you click a link and it takes you to an Amazon page to start the transfer. You can return it early from your account, and if you want to buy it all your bookmarks and highlights are saved.

Now, searching my library's terribly slow, disorganized, Overdrive-powered site only to find books 1,4, and 7 of a series are available is another matter entirely. I hate the false scarcity licensing situation.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

sweart gliwere posted:

Since the thread's gone into retro-Kindle chat, I'll ask a question:

Is the last kindle to have audio really the K3/keyboard? My 3G keyboard model still works fine (though the screen is disappointing when compared to newer readers), but the idea of eventually upgrading to a new model which can't play taqsim or ambient music during reading sessions is a bummer. I appreciate that they put their focus into making lighter readers with better screens, but the least they could do is give a headphone jack or something. It'd feel pretty goony to manage two devices for reading in busier areas. Kindle users aren't all women on the beach or in a sunroom like in their ads, right?

4th generation Kindle Touch (the 2011 one) had an audio jack and did MP3s and some audiobooks.

Having headphones running from your phone/iPod and also looking at a tablet-like device doesn't sound too goony at all, frankly. I see it pretty commonly.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Baller Witness Bro posted:

I too just bought a new Paperwhite as my first kindle. I have no regrets so far, I'm really digging how portable this thing is and the backlight really sold me. I've also played around a bit with Calibre and loaded a few books from friends which is really cool.

One question - where are the "ads" that people keep talking about?

If you haven't connected it to WiFi yet you won't see ads.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Origami Dali posted:

I looked at the Paperwhite and the Voyage side by side in Best Buy yesterday. While the light on the Paperwhite looked pure white, the Voyage light had more of a blue/purple tint. I messed with the brightness on both but there was a very distinct hue difference. Is it supposed to be that way?

A lot of the first gen Voyages had a slight gradient/tint. It's noticeable only to some, and only on some devices. Mine has one but I got used to it.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Vegetable posted:

What's a good case for the Voyage? I've heard great things about the OMOTON but apparently it's really tight. It would be nice to read without the case sometimes.

The official case uses magnets. It holds securely (I drop mine on carpet a lot and it hasn't fallen out), but I am able to get the Voyage out on purpose without hassle. It doesn't completely cover the sides, if that's important to you, and it's also really expensive compared to the Omoton line.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I, too, love my Voyage. Flush screen so crumbs don't get stuck; buttons to keep the grease off the words. Prop it up in its case/stand hybrid and the off button means nothing. The haptic buttons work nicely.

(I read mostly on my lunch break.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Calibre will convert books to any format, and if you need to change the ecosystem of a file dig around for some plug-ins to help.

How many PDFs are we talking?

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Wibla posted:

The Amazon Kindle flip case is the best. Just get it and call it good.

For real do this. My husband got an offbrand one and I got the Amazon version. My case looks nearly new and he's been through 2 cases in the last 3 years. Both were subject to roughly the same mild-ish conditions-- thrown in a bag to commute to work being the roughest handling.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

eddiewalker posted:

I was thinking about how much time I spend reading Reddit posts by dumb people and how long it had been since I had read an actual book, then the Paperwhite went on sale a couple weeks back.

drat I love this thing and haven’t put it down since I got it. Suddenly I’m looking forward to reading in every minute of downtime and my phone battery is lasting twice as long.

Now my wife wants one too and I’m trying to decide between another Paperwhite, or maybe getting a refurb Voyage because the pageturn buttons and glass screen sound nice. Any comments?

I didn’t pay any attention to e-ink devices till just now and I don’t want her to think I just got her the lovely discontinued thing. It definitely seems like there are fewer accessories for the Voyage at this point, and I know she likes my Amazon fabric case on the PW.

If your wife plans to eat over the book while reading, the flat screen of the Voyage is worth it (source: my very messy lunch habits at work).

Otherwise my husband has a Paperwhite and I have a Voyage and they're both comparable. Go with the one that has a case she likes best.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

chippy posted:

I'm curious as to why?

Not op, but I wouldn't mind one with USB C just to save on the number of charging cables I have to bring on a trip.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Semi related to the thread, but does anyone know if there's a way to bulk download personal docs from amazon through the content and devices area?

I can select a bunch of em, but can only deliver them to devices, not download them or send them to kindle for pc or anything.

That's the same behavior I have when trying to download a bunch of books, so I am betting there's not a current way, or one I haven't figured out yet.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I sent myself a pdf to my kindle paper white. When I open it on my computer, it is fine. However, on my paper white, I have to turn the dreaded sideways to read it.

Is that normal or is there a way to correct this?

Take a PDF editor to it and see what the orientation is? And is text stored as text or as an image? Maybe something weird is set as a display property that your computer knows what to do with, but not the Kindle? Just things to think about as you play with the file.

Although as mentioned, PDFs and Kindle don't play so well. Now that you've downloaded that PDF editor, extract/convert that file into an actual ebook! (Or to a format Calibre can convert to mobi.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Sri.Theo posted:

Well, no need to ponder further - ars technica confirmed it's USB-C. Another hold out bites the dust.

My Voyage is working well for me but I would really, really like usb C. Let's see if I can hold out until my Voyage battery dies.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I vaguely remember something about a format issue at some point; perhaps the old stuff is too old? See if converting it to a newer version in Calibre helps.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Interesting notes on the Libra 2. I've got a Kindle Voyage that is fine, battery-wise, but I really wouldn't mind getting to all USB-C. I was going to get the Paperwhite 2021 but have hesitated because it doesn't seem to have as nice a screen, and I like my page turn buttons.

Maybe when the battery finally gives up I'll look at what Kobo has out, as it seems Amazon doesn't want to make another device like the Kindle Voyage.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I was wondering if we'd get a new higher-end Kindle this fall. I was thinking an Oasis refresh, but this fills the large-screen gap for the Kindle line. Might be kind of neat to play with one.

My Voyage is aging and I'd like USB-C, so it may be the nicer Paperwhite for me if something else doesn't catch my fancy.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Good eReader thinks there will be a new Oasis for 2022

I'll see what the form factor looks like, as I like page turn buttons, but am not a fan of the current lopsided Oasis.

Probably cheaper and easier for me to get the new Paperwhite, get a case I can stick a pen loop on, and add one of the ballpoint/stylus combos I get at trade shows.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
2 weeks with wifi and 3 weeks without wifi for my 2014 Voyage, down from 3 weeks with wifi and 5 weeks without. Subtract a day or two for heavy light usage. (I'll probably jinx it, but I wonder if I can make it to 10 years with this Kindle. My last one didn't die so much as need weekly charging in the lead up to the Voyage's release.)

But either way that Kindle is having software or hardware issues. Hopefully a full drain helps you.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

I got my first e-reader a few months ago, a Clara 2e, and lurking this thread the whole time I've been curious -- what is the big appeal of buttons? People are always listing it as a requirement, never used them so I don't get it.

With buttons, I don't have to take my hands out from my mittens to turn the page. (Or think being huddled under a blanket on a cold day.)

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Voyage, I think? It's normal shaped and was the premium option for a bit.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I'm going to sound really, really dumb for asking this, but since I've only used Kindles I've only ever thought about the Amazon Kindle store (and the occasional Kickstarter reward download).

Are most ebooks now available at places other than Amazon? The stores never used to be equivalent.

I'm not worried about keeping my library (I never trusted Amazon from the start so it's in an accessible format for other readers).

As I look at my aging and beloved Voyage I don't see a good Kindle-branded replacement so I'll likely end up switching e-readers when the time comes.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Thanks for all the info on stores! I haven't actually used Kindle Unlimited in a long time so no loss there.

I don't know why I didn't just think to search for my favorite authors and see if a place has them. :doh:

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Prime Day has various Kindles and bundles on sale, as expected.

My Voyage still works so I'm sitting out upgrading again. I really wish I could get page turn buttons on a flat A5 sized device with USB-C.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I'm glad you can still get Voyage accessories! I will only give mine up when it dies and no sooner.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I picked up one of those RF clicker thingies (I don't like to touch the reading part of screen) and I like it well enough, so that will increase my options when I replace my Voyage. That kind of thing just confirms that my next eReader won't a kindle.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
I got bit by the deleted books bug. I have a Voyage and it's definitely not on the latest firmware, and to save the battery I've kept the wifi off for at least the last 3 months. I turned it on to get something from our shared household Amazon content while away from my desktop, which it downloaded fine, and then promptly restarted.

All my StoryBundle books that transferred from Calibre are gone. Sideloaded other mobi files (converted RSS feeds, downloads from Kickstarter, etc) and Amazon-sourced azw3's are fine-- it just hit the StoryBundle ones. I don't know what was different about those--perhaps my other stuff is tagged as a document in metadata, I need to look-- but Amazon deleted those specifically.

I'll be keeping the wifi off forever, now! And looking to replace this well before I'd intended. I wanted to keep my Voyage until the battery failed, but "deletes books when connected to wifi" is a pretty big problem.

I hope Kobo comes out with something about that size this year. I bought one of those clicker remotes to try out on my Voyage and while it takes about 5 minutes to get it placed right, it will be an acceptable substitute for page turn buttons. (The Libra just looks too big for my needs.)

effika fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 7, 2024

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Silly Burrito posted:

It’s bigger than the Voyage but it’s not too big IMO. It’s Oasis sized, roughly.

I don't like my Dad's Oasis 3. I want something closer to A5 sized. The Clara 2e looks like that's what I'd want if I had to buy right now.

I've deleted all the wifi info off my Voyage so I won't be able to make that mistake again easily while I wait out the market for either a new device or a sale!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

FYI there was a kindle firmware update in January, maybe it fixes the deletion issue?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKMQC26VQQMM8XSW

I haven't been able to get a kindle to actually update its firmware over wifi for like two years so I leave mine disconnected almost all the time anyway. I haven't turned on wifi since people started posting about file deletion itt

Not available for my Voyage. Keep that wifi off though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Hmm, if I don't like the way the Oasis feels maybe I will like the Libra. I guess I'll see what's around when my Voyage dies or I get tired of keeping it off wifi.