Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

Has the Nook 1.5 firmware improved PDF viewing and web browsing much?

People keep asking this question, and the answer I haven't seen posted yet is this: does the software update increase the physical size of the screen? No? Then probably not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
There's really no point in converting txt files though.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
The real answer to pdfs on kindles is one of those magnifying glasses they sell old people to read with.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Pfpt, who has time to hit search and type in something

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Snuffman posted:

I cannot fathom why Amazon doesn't let users just change the screensavers with no hack.

I just wish it would use the cover of whatever I'm reading at the time.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Googling that error gets quite a few hits.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Megadyptes posted:

Man I just spilled my drink over my Kindle 3. There's a small patch on the top left of the screen that's all hosed up. I've emailed Amazon, hope I can get it fixed or replaced. Maybe if I leave it for a while it'll dry out and be fine, right? :ohdear: :(

That's the one thing I wish they'd work on, in my opinion the kindle's just far too fragile.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

maxnmona posted:

Name a mainstream electronic device that won't get hosed up if you spill a bunch of liquid on it.

Ereaders are in a bit of a unique category though, you can drop a book 3-4' onto concrete and not need to replace it. You can also spill cups of coffee on them and mostly just cause cosmetic damage. I'm not saying the thing has to stand up to a nuclear blast, but people might expect a little more durability than what the kindle delivers. A lot of laptops are built to withstand abuse as a matter of course that would send a kindle to the scrap bin.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Vertigus posted:

Tangentially, is breaking the DRM of an eBook in order to use it on another device considered legal under the DMCA?

I don't think anything is considered legal under the DMCA.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

maxnmona posted:

I recently dropped my Kindle from a height of about 6-7 feet onto a concrete floor and it landed on its screen. No damage whatsoever.

My kindle dropped from about 3 feet onto concrete and ended up with an inch of dead screen. I suspect this is because it landed on a corner at an angle just right to pull it apart a tiny bit. I doubt it would have broken if I weren't too cheap to buy a case.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

The Rat posted:

Do they still make one for kindle 2's? I couldn't find anything on amazon.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

maxnmona posted:

possibly, but she's on a significantly higher level than, say, the guy who wrote Bubba Ho-Tep, so it's surprising to see her take part.

Maybe she's not a loving snob.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

petewhitley posted:

Unless you already have a tablet you're probably better off just printing it out, no?

Two hundred pages of all image pdf? I'm gonna have nightmares now, thanks. <:mad:>

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
Add me to the paperwhite brigade, being able to read in the dark is some kinda high-tech sorcery. :tinfoil: I wish it had page buttons, it's not quite as one-hand as the kindle2. Other annoyance: it doesn't put the last thing you were reading at the top of the list if you slip out to the home screen, and it's a chore to flip back to what you were reading when you've got a shitton of stuff. And for some reason "create collection" is greyed out, I suspect because I set the view to everything?

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Install Gentoo posted:

Did you set the sort to Recent on the home page? That should show your last read thing first.

Yup. :(

Martytoof posted:

Are you running the latest firmware?

Yeah, google suggests that I need to get connected and synced but I don't know of any open wifi spots so bleh. I'll find one at some point I'm sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
I'm still getting used to my paperwhite, I like touching the screen to help keep my place and that just doesn't work. :mad: