Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I just asked my mom for a Kindle for Christmas, but I don't have wi-fi... am I going to have to mooch off my neighbor's network whenever I want to download a book, or can I just plug the Kindle into my laptop and download directly through USB?

Also, not having to wait 1-2 weeks for a book (living overseas) means instant gratification is finally possible...am I correct in assuming this is going to result in a massive book purchase increase?

Suntory BOSS fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

Kindle opening reactions:

:3: It's so TINY
:keke: Let me just remove this sticker...
:aaaaa: That...that's not a sticker

Is that same reaction what the thread title is referring to?

This thing is amazing-- the quality of the screen is dazzling, surprising even after having read dozens of reviews singing its praises. The size, weight and feel is perfect.. the idea of an electronic book seemed really really dumb until I picked up a Kindle for the first time and started flicking through the user guide.

The Kindle is also incredibly dangerous. I found, purchased and downloaded a book in about a minute and a half-- my wallet is screwed.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I hope one day my standby screen can display whichever Sci-Fi novel I'm in the middle of reading instead of Mark Twain's face :allears:

edit; Read the OP and found the screen saver hack...awesome

Suntory BOSS fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 14, 2010