Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Beffah posted:

Any thoughts on this? It's on sale for a hair under $130 with free shipping, but to me it looks like a knock-off iPad. My father asked (read: told) me to check it with thoughts of my mother, but I've never heard of the brand.
Ugh, resistive touch screen. I'd personally avoid all knock-off ereader tablets except for like, the nook color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

madprocess posted:

Comment: it seems to run like poo poo and needing to use a computer and USB cable to launch it is so bad. The half-page-turn flashes that show up also seem like they'd be really distracting.
I'm assuming the half-page-turn flashes are because the pages have a slide-over transition by default. I'm assuming the Kindle app has a setting to disable page transitions, which would in theory eliminate the double flash.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

So, are those black lines below the screen on the Touch edition a home button or what?

I don't think it's a speaker, since they're in the rear of the device.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Cicero posted:

Wait, what does it do within that 6-page section?
That quote's just referring to the method of only doing a "full" refresh (with the blanking out of the screen with black) every 6-pages or so. Between that, it just instantly changes the text without a flash. I think this leads to a little bit of shadowing/artifacting that you can see, but the trade-off is "hey, a lot less flashing in my face."

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm assuming that the X-Ray feature only works on Amazon-bought kindle books, not side-loaded content, right? It won't scan some .mobi file you put on the device for character names or subjects to download from wikipedia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Sperg Victorious posted:

Amazon is coming out with an updated format. Kindle Format 8. Embedded fonts, html5, ect.

http://nexus404.com/Blog/2011/10/21...more-mobile-de/

Better link:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-20123608-92/web-based-kindle-format-good-for-comics-kids-books/
Ughhh, here's hoping Calibre updates fast with support for this new format.
Also hoping that people figure out how to strip the DRM as easily as the old format.