Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
One thing that has surprised me about e-readers so far is that people actually seem to be buying the media. It seems that aside from a few computer books, bestsellers, and self-help nonsense, that torrents and illegal downloading of e-books hasn't really taken off.

Though I suppose this also has to do with drm and the fact that there are so many filetypes flying around right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

What is the best way to make pdf files readable on my new kindle-4 (non-touch)?

Their PDF viewer seems to be intentionally terrible/hobbled.
What about cracking DRM?

Converting to mobi helps with the formatting and eliminates the pages that were showing up as blank, but many letters are missing and there are errors in the text.

Avian Pneumonia fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Nov 24, 2011

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

Avian Pneumonia posted:

What is the best way to make pdf files readable on my new kindle-4 (non-touch)?

Their PDF viewer seems to be intentionally terrible/hobbled.
What about cracking DRM?

Converting to mobi helps with the formatting and eliminates the pages that were showing up as blank, but many letters are missing and there are errors in the text.

I seem to have worked out some of the kinks, but I'm having an issue with PDF metadata in that one book/PDF is not properly displaying the author on the device, even after editing the metadata on calibre and exporting it.

It also turns all colons into underscores in the titles for some reason.