Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Can anyone who has a nook tell me how to make it so a certain book doesn't show up at all?

When I go to My B&N library, a book I don't want other people to see that I'm reading shows up. I tried archiving it, but it still shows up on that last. Is there a way to remove specific books from the list?

For the curious, it's a self help book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Does it gray out after you archive it? If so, you just need to select the to hide archive books from the change view menu.

Yay someone who knows what I'm talking about!

But I have no idea where the change view menu is :(

EDIT: It is greyed out though.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Nevermind, i'm an idiot. I finally found the "hide archived books" option you were talking about. Thanks so much bull!

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

I'm sorry if this isn't the right place to put it, but wasn't too sure where else to go.

I'm having a problem with my first generation nook. I bought it a long time ago when either ebay or buy.com were doing the first gens for $99. It's been working fine, but every once in a while the screen will freeze while it's on the screensaver. Every time it's done this, i've always managed to get it back working again.

This time I can't.

I last used it as a flash drive about a week ago, but otherwise it's been sitting plugged into my computer without any use for the past week. I had an urge to get some reading done last night, but when I looked at it the screen was frozen. I looked in my computer, and the nook wasn't being shown as a drive. I tried taking it out, and plugging it into the wall charger, but that didn't work either. The charging light doesn't turn on. I've also tried:

1. Holding the power button down for 30-60 seconds
2. Removing the battery, press power button for 60 seconds, plug in the wall charger, wait 30 minutues, put the battery back in and continue to charge for 4 hours. It's still stuck on the same drat screensaver.
3. I also tried the thing where you had to press down all 4 directional buttons.

I can't get this thing to unfreeze at all. I'm honestly shocked that even when you take the battery out the stupid thing still doesn't unfreeze. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to do? I'm pretty confident it's out of warranty. This was also a refurb, and I think I've learned my lesson with refurbished stuff after this.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

Go read about cracking it and see if there's "What to do when it's bricked" advice. Since it's running Eclair, there should be some version of QDLTool that can talk to it. If the light's not coming on though, bad sign.

I decided to take it to barnes and noble and they said it was completely busted. They originally thought it was a battery issue, but my battery worked in their display model. They said it was a month out of warranty, so they couldn't replace it. I bought it around this time last year when there was that thread in SA mart that had them for $99 when they first came out but were refurbished.

The guy told me the best I could do was try to find someone who knew circuit boards and see if they could fix the problem.

Now I'm sad and I can't afford a new one right now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Splizwarf posted:

You can sometimes find some traction going directly to the company about the problem, rather than just a B&N store location. Do it by phone; be friendly, honest, and clear about how you loved your Nook, buy a lot of B&N, and tell your friends on- and off-line about how much you like the Nook. A month out of warranty is recent enough for a goodwill gesture, especially if they still have any refurb OG Nooks, which have to be getting hard to move by now.

Try it, all you can lose now is time.

Holy crap am I so glad you suggested this. I called the customer service number for the nook and they said that they would be willing to extend the warranty by two months so that way I was eligible for a FREE replacement. I'm so loving ecstatic. All I have to do is wait a week for it to be shipped, and then send my old one back with the preprinted shipping label.

I'm a nook customer for life now.