Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
If people buy a book using the interface on the 3G Kindle, will you be charged a download fee on top of it? I only own the Wifi one and my father wants me to buy one for my Mom for Christmas. I'ld rather make it as easy as possible to buy things since she's not very technically inclined so not teaching her how to download a book on her computer would be a freaking godsend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

madprocess posted:

If you are in Canada, Japan, the US, the UK, Switzerland, Germany, Australia or South Korea (and probably some more I'm forgetting) - no.

If you are outside all of those countries - maybe.
I live in Canada, so that's fine. Thanks.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

What a bunch of bullshit. The Kindle is listed as "in stock", but when I order it to ship to Canada it suddenly changes to "ships in 7 to 9 weeks". Wouldn't it just be a simple software change? Now I don't know what we're going to do for my Mom's Christmas gift.

If I get someone to buy one in the US for me and ship it here, does anyone know if it will work properly once I put in a Canadian billing address/credit card?

EDIT: The answer is yes according to Amazon themselves so I'm going that route. Of course, if the thing arrives cracked in half I'm screwed but here's hoping.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 25, 2010

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Ponuh posted:

The advent of broadband/streamy technology has sort of broken my brain, to the point of making me totally indolent towards anything that isn't instantly gratifying. But I think the device has sort of bridged the gap between a sophisticated technological experience and the old, long-form experience that used to be so enriching for me. I'm actually reading again, which is really, really cool. Hopefully I don't get bored and go back to mining Netflix all the time for more shallow distractions.
Well, I was in the same boat as you in early September when I got my first Kindle wondering if it was going to be a phase but it hasn't let up yet. Obviously I'm not obsessively reading as much as I did the first couple weeks when I was still on a "new-gadget high". But the convienience factor alone has definetely increased the amount of book reading I regularily do. During my lunch break, in a waiting room, on a bus ride, or any other scenario where I previously would just play a lovely cell phone game for 10 minutes, I can instead pull out an extremely light device from my bag and be at the exact spot I last stopped at in several books I'm reading at the time within seconds. Giving my eyes a rest from all the LCD screen viewing I do can't hurt either.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

gently caress, I'm going to spend $300 + shipping this fall.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Kind of sucks about the paperwhite since I just had a new Kindle delivered to me this week as my old one busted, but then again these things are always delayed before you can order them in Canada and I wasn't going to wait months without one.

Really tempted to pick up one of those Fires, though.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Considering going with the 7" HD version. It seems like it would give the benefits of doing the tablet stuff I want like reading e-magazines in colour while also being small enough to carry everywhere with me.

Does anyone who owns the original Fire have any opinions on that? Do you find it too cramped and wish it was larger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Yeah, I have nothing to add that others have just mentioned. As someone who has grown used to buying my games off Steam and using an MP3 player, ereaders just were instantly appealling to me.

Also, maybe it's just my reading habits but I feel like the price issue isn't as large as people make it out to be. For every physical copy that it dirt cheap because either it is a Top 20 paperback or a bunch of hard covers on clearance compared to the unmoving price of the digital version, I feel like there have been plenty of other titles I have picked up where the physical one either stays more expensive or becomes difficult to find in stock.

EDIT: I wish I came up with the title Pregnesia.