Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
I remember Mexican-built Jettas being pretty horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl
A bigger issue is that this will be the first year these cars are build in new facilities, more than the fact that said facilities are in Mexico. The dealers are the big problem in my view. The service my mother got when she had her 300M was literally dishonest in many instances, but Chrysler Canada always backed the dealer against the customer, so why would you want to do this to yourself?

And keep in mind, I always thought the car was very good, but the whole experience was ruined by having to deal with crooks.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Soooo....do the servicing yourself.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

InterceptorV8 posted:

Really, this is great. I need to start saving money and going on a diet, because if I can get into one of these at the price listed, I might have to buy a car right off the lot.

Another Fiat 500 in a Lupin movie? :monocle:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Autism Sundae posted:

I remember Mexican-built Jettas being pretty horrible.

I thought MKIV Jettas in the US were built in Brazil?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The last generation Fusion (witht he Aisin/Toyota trans) was pretty much the most reliable car you could buy on the market. The only problem with the new Fusion is a software issue with the new Ford/GM trans that affected a small number of cars within a narrow range of build dates, and there's already a TSB for it. This has nothing to do with Mexico. There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever to suggest that cars built in Mexico are of poor quality. ALL the common problems of the Jetta from 2 generations ago can be attributed to shoddy GERMAN parts and/or design. This is hardly surprising since most VW/Audi cars built in Germany are also (mostly) shoddily built garbage. The entire meme originates from racist American VW fanboys who need to blame browns for all their problems.

Besides, I've had unreliable cars my whole life. I worry about reliability like the English worry about the weather being too moist.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Throatwarbler posted:

This is hardly surprising since most VW/Audi cars built in Germany are also (mostly) shoddily built garbage. The entire meme originates from racist American VW fanboys who need to blame browns for all their problems.

As opposed to the stellar quality of most American cars built over the past decade or so?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
There aren't any quality problems with Ford cars coming from Mexico, nor GM engines.

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Nov 24, 2010

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Sometimes I wonder if Chrysler is ashamed of this car. The first time I saw one was at the DC auto show this year. They had two of them on display, but instead of having them out in the middle making some kind of statement like, you know, "Check this out! We're going to be bringing out fun, cool small cars!", they had them shoved way in the back behind an endless sea of Bland.

Although they did have a couple booth babes on the platform, so I guess they were trying to drum up some interest.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Autism Sundae posted:

As opposed to the stellar quality of most American cars built over the past decade or so?

Many of those were built in Canada, so I think we know who the real culprit for crappy cars is here.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Many of those were built in Canada, so I think we know who the real culprit for crappy cars is here.

Hey, I'd like to see you build a car with ice all over your tools :argh:

:canada:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

echoplex posted:

Why would you own an automatic 500?

why

You're paraplegic.

Hey, at least the manual is the standard transmission. That counts for something.

Presto posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Chrysler is ashamed of this car. The first time I saw one was at the DC auto show this year. They had two of them on display, but instead of having them out in the middle making some kind of statement like, you know, "Check this out! We're going to be bringing out fun, cool small cars!", they had them shoved way in the back behind an endless sea of Bland.

Although they did have a couple booth babes on the platform, so I guess they were trying to drum up some interest.

"Not Invented Here"

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 24, 2010

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Soooo....do the servicing yourself.

I wonder... would the only easy to get English factory manuals be for RHD British models?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Throatwarbler posted:

The entire meme originates from racist American VW fanboys who need to blame browns for all their problems.

I'm pretty sure it originated in the age of air-cooled VWs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Presto posted:

Whenever I'm at an autocross event, there is literally zero Chrysler cars present. There's all of the major players, but never Chrysler. Chrysler is in the market to appealing to nobody. Outside of the Viper, there is literally no Chrysler product that I would want to drive, let alone own.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
No Neons, even?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the European 500s are being built in Poland, so really, how much worse could this be?
Poland has been building Fiats for decades, and my experience of working with Polish skilled labour is that they're pretty competent and have a decent work ethic.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

mod sassinator posted:

I like it and I think a lot of people who would be looking at a Mini Cooper will like it too.
I would take the Mini over this, simply because the MINI has way more headroom and seat space.

el topo
Apr 11, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Presto posted:

Sometimes I wonder if Chrysler is ashamed of this car.

It's something that people have wanted for years now. Chrysler doesn't know how to deal with this...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

VideoTapir posted:

No Neons, even?

First gen Neon ACR :saddowns:

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

el topo posted:

It's something that people have wanted for years now. Chrysler doesn't know how to deal with this...

Hey, they had that with the Challenger, and to some extent the PT Cruiser.

But...yeah, its been a little while.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Hey, they had that with the Challenger, and to some extent the PT Cruiser.
A genius ad agency should try to parlay PT Cruiser baby boomer nostalgia into the retro nature of the 500. Dunno how they could do it, but it would be cool to pull off.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

Poland has been building Fiats for decades, and my experience of working with Polish skilled labour is that they're pretty competent and have a decent work ethic.

I've had my Polish-built Panda for 2½ years and the most serious issue I've had with it was a slight squeek from the driver's seat. Everything else has been rock solid.

The Turkish-built Fiats, on the other hand... Oh dear.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

A genius ad agency should try to parlay PT Cruiser baby boomer nostalgia into the retro nature of the 500. Dunno how they could do it, but it would be cool to pull off.

Audry Hepburn in the ads.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm sure most of y'all have seen this picture, but check it out. Nuovo Cinquecento vs Cinquecento.

:stare: The old Cinquecento is loving tiny.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Tiny yes but RR so it had more room in it than you'd think.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
My experience with Chrysler is two fold. The dealer and the car both were terrible.

Sure it was a 1st year PT Cruiser but if you send me a recall that was issued 2 weeks before I bought the car 2 weeks after I bought the car - why the gently caress was this not taken care of ON THE LOT?

Service intake guy a complete lying prick time and again doesn't do much for making me want to take my car BACK to you for anything. "Your brakes need replacing." they were brand new.

Calling your parts guy on the same day for the same thing and getting 3 different prices (High, Low, High), asking him about that fact, and then getting hung up on?

My co-worker got the same sort of poo poo from them on a leaking moon roof on a brand new Caliber.

So as much as I love the Fiat I keep this at the front of my mind. Any other dealer network I would have been sold on one the minute I stepped on the lot.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
My girlfriend's had her 500 for over a year now and it's great! just a bit noisy at motorway speeds. They suit the little roads over here.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Have they been selling them in Australia? I suspect an Aussie's opinion of the 500 would be more relevant to Americans, re: driving conditions.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

Presto posted:

It makes sense for them to be ashamed of the fact that they can't design or build anything like it. Like in an old Russian joke, everything Chrysler makes turns into a Sebring.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Presto posted:

If Chrysler was actually controlling the nuovo 500 import they'd have turned it into some sort of Aveo-style crapbox, Americanized with some tacky name under the Dodge brand, an oversized 'signature' grill.

The more Chrysler hates it, the better.

Mathturbator
Oct 12, 2004
Funny original quote

InitialDave posted:

my experience of working with Polish skilled labour is that they're pretty competent and have a decent work ethic.
So true, especially the work ethic.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
If you watch/listen to the interview with the FIAT girl she says all the FIAT dealers will be in separate facilities.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Throatwarbler posted:

If you watch/listen to the interview with the FIAT girl she says all the FIAT dealers will be in separate facilities.

Under whose ownership, whose management, and staffed by whom?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Video said, starting out, it's gonna be Chrysler dealers who've stepped up to do this (transport their resources over to the new facilities). And since dealers can have different attitudes and plans from corporate, I imagine the enthusiasm/initiative is real.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
So they aren't going to continue screwing people?

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010
Most of my family is from Italy and they joke around and say FIAT stands for "Fix It Again Tony". Is that true?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

The Moon Babies posted:

Most of my family is from Italy and they joke around and say FIAT stands for "Fix It Again Tony". Is that true?

It's not what it actually means, but yes, it's an age-old euphamism for their less than stellar reputation when it came to reliability. At least here in the States.
Sort of like "Ford" doesn't actually stand for "found on roadside, dead".

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

McMadCow posted:

It's not what it actually means, but yes, it's an age-old euphamism for their less than stellar reputation when it came to reliability. At least here in the States.

And Pontiac doesn't actually stand for... aaah, nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Babies
Oct 26, 2010

McMadCow posted:

I figured you wouldn't assume that I thought FIAT actually stood for that but oh well, lolol. Was FIAT ever in the states before? I mean, how would it have gained a reputation if it wasn't?

• Locked thread