Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

2013 Abarth checking in.

7300 miles
Had a tire pressure sensor that had to be reflashed.
The paint quality on the body and wheels is awful.
Side skirt is gonna be repaired soon.
People call me a fag/make fun of my car.

I love my car and I'm gonna start modding it this Christmas :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Shrapnig posted:

I got rid of my Abarth a few months ago but I have this:

http://shop.500madness.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=114_125_319&product_id=1320

Sitting around if anyone is interested. Magneti Marelli Go Pedal and Piggy Back ECU. It makes the car a hell of a lot of fun.

I also have a set of OEM head, marker, and tail lights too.

If there's any interest I'll make a SA Mart thread and/or PM me. I'm not looking for anywhere near retail on this stuff since it's just collecting dust.

Just PM'd you.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Sir Tonk posted:

So I finally found a way to get a 500 now that my girlfriend's Fiesta was totaled and she has signed onto the idea of getting one for herself. She can't afford a new one, so will be buying used and I've got her interested in an Abarth as an option.

Do y'all know of any year-specific issues with the 500's, including the Abarths? All I've really seen are complaints from JDPower and random forums post from sites I don't regularly read.

The used market is limited, compared to other comparable cars, although I'm in Houston so there's at least enough that she's found a couple she likes.

edit

Like this one: https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/5314492054.html

(although she's not a big fan of the racing stripe down the hood/trunk)

I have a 2013 Abarth. Here are some things to consider that I've realized as I've driven the car.

- The back seat is a lie. It's a two seater car unless your friends are all little people or Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump.

- The bluetooth on 2012 and 2013 does not allow you to listen to music via Bluetooth. You'll have to plug in a USB or AUX cable.

- The turning radius on the car is hilarious. You'll feel like you'r driving a school bus when you perform a three point turn. Normal 500's do not have this issue - just the Abarth. It's not a huge deal to me and I've learned how to adjust the way I parallel park and whatnot, but it might piss some people off.

- Abarths have a pretty active modding community. Be sure to ask what all has been done to the car since you're buying used. If it's a clueless dealer rather than a private party, check for things under the hood like piggyback ECU's, modified intakes, etc. It's just good to know what you're getting into.

- The leather seats are much better than the cloth seats, in my opinion, but that's just a personal preference.

- If your girlfriend listens to a lot of music then try to find one with the Beats audio package. It's pretty good if you want a better than factory stereo. Comes with a little amp and subwoofer that live in the hatch. Audiophiles won't be impressed, but it's good for the common man.

As far as issues with specific years, I stayed away from 2012's because that was the first US version of the car and there seemed to be more issues with the first generation. My car only has 8k miles so I can't speak to the long term reliability of the car, but here are the issues I've had so far:

- Tire pressure sensor went bad. Fiat fixed this for me.

- The paint quality on the car is pretty bad. I have a lot of little chips on the front and my white rims are chipped all over the place.

- The driver's side window rattles a lot. Not sure if Fiat will fix that or not.

- The molding/skirt on the side of the car is starting to come loose on one side. Going to have Fiat look at this when I take the care in for service. From what I've read online, they will fix it.

All pretty minor stuff.

Overall I love the car. It's my daily driver and the only other person who ever rides with me is my wife. The car is really controversial for some reason. People either love it or call me gay for owning "a girl's car", but I guess that's less of a concern for your girlfriend :haw: It definitely turns heads and is a conversation starter. I've probably had 20 or 30 strangers talk to me about the car and I've only owned it since this summer.

Let me know if you have any other questions about the Abarth.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Great post! Covered a lot of stuff I forgot or didn't know about.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Now I want a blue Abarth with a white stripe.

• Locked thread