Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Have you tried poking a hole in the battery to relieve the pressure? Any decently sized kitchen knife should do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Ok- a project I started for my partner as a Christmas gift was taking dozens of family VHS home movies going back to the early 80s and digitizing, cleaning up, and upscaling for modern displays. Many many hours and terabytes of disk space later and it went over like gangbusters. A secondary benefit of this project was access to lots of TV tapings and more interestingly, the commercials contained in them. I've decided to start a youtube channel for them, which is where I'm getting to the real question of this post.

I'm trying to be pro-active about managing hard drive space, but have hit a small road block. Here's a simplified version of my situation with Premiere:

I have a project, called Assembly. In my clip bin, I have one 4-hour master clip called "Tape A"- this is the full rip of 1 VHS.

In my timeline, I have 50 clip edits sourced from Tape A, totaling 30 minutes. The remaining 3.5 hours of Tape A is of no benefit to me and can be discarded.

The clips in my timeline have been renamed by hand to reflect their contents. eg. "Sports Illustrated: Dick Butkus, Christmas 1986 ". This part is important not only for organization and avoiding duplicates, but also as a reference for when I start dropping in timeline markers to chapter everything in youtube.***

What I would love to do at this point would be to export the timeline clips while maintaining the clip names I've specified in the timeline, so I can blow away the 400gb master file that I'm only using a fraction of. 50gb of properly named 'source' files that I can organize however I want is far more appealing to me than 1 giant half terabyte monster just eating up space. And that's just one tape. I have dozens.

Project manager, nesting and batch export, marking in/out and manually exporting, everything I've tried so far only ever references the "Tape A" name in the bin or requires a name to be typed in from scratch. If I gotta do it by hand then so be it, but given the sheer volume of clips I'm dealing with, extrapolated out to the collection of tapes as whole.. I hope I'm being clear on why I'm trying to save time on this one extremely monotonous part of the process. Just naming them the first time is wildly time consuming.

***if there's a way to make premiere drop a timeline marker at the head of a timeline clip using the name of the timeline clip I would be SO THRILLED

edit: I'm happy to re-assess my workflow if it looks like there's a more efficient way to approach, but if there's a plugin or something that'll do what I'm looking for, I'm willing to pay for it if it's reasonable.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Feb 22, 2024

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

thunderspanks posted:

Ok- a project I started for my partner as a Christmas gift was taking dozens of family VHS home movies going back to the early 80s and digitizing, cleaning up, and upscaling for modern displays. Many many hours and terabytes of disk space later and it went over like gangbusters. A secondary benefit of this project was access to lots of TV tapings and more interestingly, the commercials contained in them. I've decided to start a youtube channel for them, which is where I'm getting to the real question of this post.

I'm trying to be pro-active about managing hard drive space, but have hit a small road block. Here's a simplified version of my situation with Premiere:

I have a project, called Assembly. In my clip bin, I have one 4-hour master clip called "Tape A"- this is the full rip of 1 VHS.

In my timeline, I have 50 clip edits sourced from Tape A, totaling 30 minutes. The remaining 3.5 hours of Tape A is of no benefit to me and can be discarded.

The clips in my timeline have been renamed by hand to reflect their contents. eg. "Sports Illustrated: Dick Butkus, Christmas 1986 ". This part is important not only for organization and avoiding duplicates, but also as a reference for when I start dropping in timeline markers to chapter everything in youtube.***

What I would love to do at this point would be to export the timeline clips while maintaining the clip names I've specified in the timeline, so I can blow away the 400gb master file that I'm only using a fraction of. 50gb of properly named 'source' files that I can organize however I want is far more appealing to me than 1 giant half terabyte monster just eating up space. And that's just one tape. I have dozens.

Project manager, nesting and batch export, marking in/out and manually exporting, everything I've tried so far only ever references the "Tape A" name in the bin or requires a name to be typed in from scratch. If I gotta do it by hand then so be it, but given the sheer volume of clips I'm dealing with, extrapolated out to the collection of tapes as whole.. I hope I'm being clear on why I'm trying to save time on this one extremely monotonous part of the process. Just naming them the first time is wildly time consuming.

***if there's a way to make premiere drop a timeline marker at the head of a timeline clip using the name of the timeline clip I would be SO THRILLED

edit: I'm happy to re-assess my workflow if it looks like there's a more efficient way to approach, but if there's a plugin or something that'll do what I'm looking for, I'm willing to pay for it if it's reasonable.
this of any use?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/export-with-original-clip-names/m-p/8893988

"Just to add to this, if you select all the jobs in Media Encoder (Cmd/Ctrl + A), and then click the output name, and choose a folder, it will assign that folder to all the selected jobs, while retaining the original file names."

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

frytechnician posted:

this of any use?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/export-with-original-clip-names/m-p/8893988

"Just to add to this, if you select all the jobs in Media Encoder (Cmd/Ctrl + A), and then click the output name, and choose a folder, it will assign that folder to all the selected jobs, while retaining the original file names."

Not quite, I'm looking to do the opposite; ignore the source clip name and instead use the name specified on the edited clip in the sequence.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

thunderspanks posted:

Not quite, I'm looking to do the opposite; ignore the source clip name and instead use the name specified on the edited clip in the sequence.

Not gonna lie, this is a quite a headscratcher! I have never, ever renamed clips in the timeline but I'm also extremely stubborn and am curious to find a way to do what you've asked. I'll have a hunt around, see what I can dig up.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

frytechnician posted:

Not gonna lie, this is a quite a headscratcher! I have never, ever renamed clips in the timeline but I'm also extremely stubborn and am curious to find a way to do what you've asked. I'll have a hunt around, see what I can dig up.

haha I understand that it is not at all a customary way to approach things. In all the professional projects I've done I don't think I've ever renamed a timeline clip ever, either.

It made sense in the moment, my thought process was that since I was going to be dropping youtube chapter markers as the very last step, I should name the edited clips so I can easily C/P the marker names after I get the edit locked.

This was before knowing I was going to export new individual clip masters and delete the original rip, but I'm starting to accept that maybe what I need to do is actually just completely change up my workflow. Edit clip>export with new name>repeat for all clips>import into new project>delete original rip.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Copy the 50 clips to 50 individual sequences named as you like and export them all

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

As someone who utilizes YouTube for old commercials, I appreciate that you’re doing them individually and not sticking them into a single video that can’t be losslessly split apart.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

EL BROMANCE posted:

As someone who utilizes YouTube for old commercials, I appreciate that you’re doing them individually and not sticking them into a single video that can’t be losslessly split apart.

I'm actually undecided on the final formatting. Individual uploads while easily shareable and more flexible, is a lot more work (I hate writing descriptions)- my initial thought was 20-30 minute compilations but fully fleshed out chapter markers in the description for every clip (hello SEO). It seems the monotony of hand naming clips and markers for 50+ clips on every tape is daunting but unavoidable, regardless of which approach I take.

Each tape so far averages about 20-30 minutes worth of ads, and each tape seems to be pretty self contained within the same year- no crazy style or decade jumps from one ad to another. I might compromise and do individual uploads but give every tape its own playlist to try and maintain some sense of order to it all. I'm also tossing around the idea of using a couple of CRT overlay variations on the videos for a little extra pizazz, and to reduce the amount of upscaling that each clip requires. Not sure if that's too hokey though.

The crown jewel in my collection so far, which I'm real excited to get to (and what inspired this whole thing), is a tv taping of 3.5 hours of the original Live Aid broadcast from 1985, and what looks like nearly 40 minutes of ads from it.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Feb 23, 2024

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

currently sitting on 550 clips with more to come so, uh, don't think I'll be doing individual uploads. sorry goon.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

FreudianSlippers posted:

Finally have a rough cut of the project I'm working on

And a final cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQu4jN05IH4

Unlisted because we're on the festival circuit and a lot of them don't like the films being available anywhere.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Quick Question from an Idiot -

My very brief post history in this thread explains my stupidity, so I won't rehash it all.

When I'm trying to record video and audio with OBS, it defaults to an mks. file. If I'm planning to use either iMovie or Resolve, should I be using that file format? Or is it better to switch to another?

I could always just record the video raw with my camera and use GarageBand or something for the audio. But I figure it's best to make my life easy as possible.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
You need to re-encode mkv files to something more editing-friendly to work with them properly. The main advantage of mkv is that they don’t break if the recording is interrupted for any reason. If you can live with re-recording in the (unlikely) case of a recording failing it is ok to directly record to H.264 in OBS.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Honj Steak posted:

You need to re-encode mkv files to something more editing-friendly to work with them properly. The main advantage of mkv is that they don’t break if the recording is interrupted for any reason. If you can live with re-recording in the (unlikely) case of a recording failing it is ok to directly record to H.264 in OBS.

H.264?

The options I saw were mp4, mov, and the like.

I just want to be able to take the files and do extremely basic edits and titles with iMovie/Resolve. I'm not streaming, so my world doesn't end if I need to do a second take.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
obs also has a built-in remuxer that will automatically convert mkv to mp4 after recording is finished, unless they removed it. remuxing just changes the container without re-encoding the audio, video, and subtitle tracks, so you don't lose any quality

some people prefer mkv for recording because it doesn't get corrupted if there's a technical issue, unlike mp4. but most video editing software will want mp4

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

kliras posted:

obs also has a built-in remuxer that will automatically convert mkv to mp4 after recording is finished, unless they removed it. remuxing just changes the container without re-encoding the audio, video, and subtitle tracks, so you don't lose any quality

some people prefer mkv for recording because it doesn't get corrupted if there's a technical issue, unlike mp4. but most video editing software will want mp4

:respek: Much appreciation, I'll give that format a try.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just following up to say the first couple of compilations are now online. Many more to come.

Unfortunately doing individual uploads just isn't realistic at this point, the volume of clips is too high. However, I did sort out most of the logistics around naming/timeline marking/exporting, so I do actually have all the clips individually backed up with color & mix (and keyword tags) and one day I'll look into doing giant themed playlists. In the meantime I've individually chaptered every clip as a compromise. Took the extra step of manually correcting premiere's auto-captions for everything too which was tiresome but a good learning experience.

This is the worst quality rip by a country mile, I think the vcr was being fed by a dying piece of coax. Thanks for your assistance, goons
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2H80sdrw6U

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

One other quick question -

Being on a four year old MacBook Pro, I'd love it if I could do recording with one program for the sake of my aging CPU and 8gb ram. But if I was to record video and audio separately, what programs would be recommended?

Again, not streaming or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Whoops, I left out something vital. The reason I'm not just recording raw video is because I want to use my laptop as a monitor. For a one man operation, it's useful to not have to set up a bunch of different eye marks on my wall. Not sure if that terminology is correct. I'm just trying to stay in frame without spiking my camera.

I just realized it might be helpful to list my current "recording" set up.

- iPhone 17 Plus, which has a better camera than anything I've ever owned. This could change if I got to a place of recording more frequently.
- PreSonous 24c 2x2 audio interface
- NW-800 Condenser Mic
- MacBook Pro 13 Inch (2019 Intel Quad 1.4 Ghz)

And

- Two 480 LED Panels, not that it matters