Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Howdy friends,

I've tried my best to read through this thread, but a whole lot of it shoots straight over my head. I'll try to be concise about my background, then get to the question.

I edited in loving iMovie back in the late 90's and early to mid 00's. I know that's not real editing, but I still managed to win a tiny film festival and get a video into part of a university curriculum. I only mention this to say I have the basest of baseline knowledge when it comes to how poo poo works. I know how I want poo poo to look, I've just forgotten how to make computer program do it.

I'm pushing forty, and my days of being on the cutting edge of tech are long gone. I don't know poo poo anymore, and find myself quickly frustrated with tech stuff. Yeah, I can figure it out with google and YouTube. But the pain in the rear end part is hardly worth it, being how the information can so easily be wrong our outdated.

QUESTION!!!

If I wanted to get back to having a baseline competence in editing, solely for growing my sub 1k subscriber Youtube account, what would you recommend?

I have been thinking heavily about enrolling in community college for it. I'm disabled, so I could make the time. I've already got a degree, and don't have the physical energy for a full course load. I'm just talking about one or two courses. I'm not interested in a career in editing, or technically advanced concepts.

Am I off-base in this approach? Are there online options for learning that aren't just SomeGuy1083 on Youtube?

My method of learning has always been, "Doing." I pick up on stuff quick, when I'm getting to actually perform the task. Which is why a classroom with work sounds halfway decent.

I appreciate your time and patience, goons. :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Does being a Mac user impact the calculus at all?

Also, it's early and my brain isn't working. What's NLE stand for?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Y'all are the best, and I appreciate the input hugely.

Should iMovie just go in the bin? It used to be competent for basic poo poo...twenty years ago.

When I use it now, the minimalist poo poo makes it infuriating. Yeah, minimalism and Mac works great when it accomplishes something. But just making everything obtuse doesn't help.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

I grabbed DaVinci’s program, and was pleased to open up something that looked familiar. I was able to do some very basic dicking around.

Before I start learning bad habits, as I’m prone to figuring stuff out the long way if nobody tells me any better, is there a recommend YouTube channel for learning the program?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

frytechnician posted:

Casey Faris, Darren Mostyn, Creative Video Tips and Mr Alex Tech should have you covered.

Learn shortcuts and remap the keyboard if you want to. Get a second pair of eyes on your stuff when you've done your first semi-decent drafts, be judicious with your cuts.

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.

I'm sure I'll be back here with some profoundly stupid questions in no time!

I do have one question about a specific "effect" in an old Cee-Lo video - Closet Freak. I should have it queued up to where the video is rapidly flipping back and forth between him and another man dancing in black suits on a white background, and vice versa, flipping back and forth rapidly. This has stuck with me for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8krxhNgVhvU&t=156s

This is something like twenty years old. But even at the time, it was going for a janky retro vibe. But was that flipping back and forth done with a preloaded effect, or was some poor editor having to splice 1/10th second clips back to back for a couple of days?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Oh wow, thanks for the excellent explanations. It's not something I'm about to do anything soon, especially with the aforementioned epilepsy risk. It's just one of those things that has stuck in my head for a long time, without ever knowing exactly how one would go about executing what should be a simple concept.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question, and this might be the wrong thread.

What's the best program for recording raw video using Apple's Continuity Camera feature? I've got something I need to film as a "pilot" to see if it works. I want to use my iPhone's big rear end fancy camera, from the view you would expect of a streamer, video blogger, or video podcaster. Just a static shot, using continuity camera for the ability to use my laptop screen as a monitor.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Honj Steak posted:

QuickTime Player or OBS.

Much appreciation. :respek:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question from an Idiot -

My very brief post history in this thread explains my stupidity, so I won't rehash it all.

When I'm trying to record video and audio with OBS, it defaults to an mks. file. If I'm planning to use either iMovie or Resolve, should I be using that file format? Or is it better to switch to another?

I could always just record the video raw with my camera and use GarageBand or something for the audio. But I figure it's best to make my life easy as possible.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Honj Steak posted:

You need to re-encode mkv files to something more editing-friendly to work with them properly. The main advantage of mkv is that they don’t break if the recording is interrupted for any reason. If you can live with re-recording in the (unlikely) case of a recording failing it is ok to directly record to H.264 in OBS.

H.264?

The options I saw were mp4, mov, and the like.

I just want to be able to take the files and do extremely basic edits and titles with iMovie/Resolve. I'm not streaming, so my world doesn't end if I need to do a second take.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

kliras posted:

obs also has a built-in remuxer that will automatically convert mkv to mp4 after recording is finished, unless they removed it. remuxing just changes the container without re-encoding the audio, video, and subtitle tracks, so you don't lose any quality

some people prefer mkv for recording because it doesn't get corrupted if there's a technical issue, unlike mp4. but most video editing software will want mp4

:respek: Much appreciation, I'll give that format a try.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

One other quick question -

Being on a four year old MacBook Pro, I'd love it if I could do recording with one program for the sake of my aging CPU and 8gb ram. But if I was to record video and audio separately, what programs would be recommended?

Again, not streaming or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Whoops, I left out something vital. The reason I'm not just recording raw video is because I want to use my laptop as a monitor. For a one man operation, it's useful to not have to set up a bunch of different eye marks on my wall. Not sure if that terminology is correct. I'm just trying to stay in frame without spiking my camera.

I just realized it might be helpful to list my current "recording" set up.

- iPhone 17 Plus, which has a better camera than anything I've ever owned. This could change if I got to a place of recording more frequently.
- PreSonous 24c 2x2 audio interface
- NW-800 Condenser Mic
- MacBook Pro 13 Inch (2019 Intel Quad 1.4 Ghz)

And

- Two 480 LED Panels, not that it matters