Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Lando360 posted:

Gotcha thanks. Is there any benefit to transcoding it beforehand or even at all? It has to be rendered either way but I was wondering what the trade-offs are? I read that it helps a bit with major effects and things like that which I won't be using.

I might be off on this, but I think the best way to do it currently is to edit it natively in Premiere Pro CS5. You don't need to transcode or use an intermediate codec. It creates a 32bit "float" image that gets edited, so the dogma of never editing H.264 gets bypassed. If you have an approved Nvidia CUDA video card, it will even render effects in real time. Seriously, it's pretty amazing if you work with a lot of HD DSLR footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
So as an Adobe Creative Cloud member, I have three or four different tools in which I can do video color correction or filters:

Premiere Pro
After Effects
Speedgrade
Photoshop (probably the least supported but it's there I guess?)

Could anyone run down the pros/cons in selecting any of these over the others? I'm editing and color correcting/grading DSLR footage for the most part. The workflow I presume I should use is:

Import all footage into Premiere, cut it into a rough cut.
Export that into After Effects to apply film grain/filters, do some clone stamp blemish removal.
Export that into Speedgrade (assuming I can go from AE -> SG) for color correction, legalizing colors for broadcast, etc.
Then I render from Speedgrade to final output (Vimeo/Youtube/BluRay).

I'm impatiently waiting for Lynda.com to put out a Speedgrade training session (I didn't like the one on AdobeTV), though I'm tempted to try the one at Video2Brain if Lynda keep dragging their feet.

Thanks for the awesome thread everyone.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

The Butcher posted:

Hopefully there is a thing like this that exists... Thanks for your assistance!

Recently a plugin (probably for both premiere pro and fcp) was released that allowed you to "mark" important takes while filming by covering the lens with your hand for a few seconds. I guess when you ingest the footage into your NLE, the plugin finds those spots where you covered the lens and marks them. So if you biked along and saw a double rainbow, you could get all the footage you wanted, then cover your lens for a few seconds and continue on your way.

Of course I can't remember what it's called, but I frequent the NoFilmSchool and FilmmakerIQ blogs, so probably on those sites.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Editing newb here, I hope someone can help me out here. I've been given a list of FCPX color adjustment settings and I'm trying to implement those in Premiere Pro. Specifically, the color board screen has the hue degrees and then intensity percentages. Some of these are negative. How do I implement the negative percentages in a three way color corrector? Should I apply those as positive amounts and change the hue by 180 degrees? Thanks.