Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Threads exist for both production (the Cinematography thread) and pre-production (the Screenwriting thread), so I thought it'd make sense if there was a general editing and/or post-production thread.

I'm not sure how many people there are that work here compared to the semi-regular Cinematography thread, but let's see if we can give this a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

butterypancakes posted:

There is an FCP thread that somehow survives being archived in SH/SC but this is really a better place for it if you ask me.

I didn't think to check SH/SC. But thanks.

Also, about Avid: I haven't really edited much on it, but I am going to start a project on it soon. How different is it compared to FCP? I know that it's not all that drag-and-drop like, and I use FCP as if it were Avid (ie. not doing things like shoving all the footage on the timeline and seeing what sticks). I'm referring to more of the technical side.

I ask because I co-edited a short for a director who wasn't happy with the final cut (it got meddled with), so he's given me cart blanche to edit it from scratch, and I was thinking of using Avid to do it. My concerns so far are for the capturing process. The footage is on a few miniDV tapes.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Momonari kun posted:

For an editing reel, what kinds of scenes are best to show off? I have a few different kinds of scenes but am wondering how many and for how long. I need to prep one for a possible job opening and want to show that I'm competent but not bore them to death.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I put together a demo reel for some of my work, and I was looking to see if I could get some feedback:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yMARNb8zmQ

This isn't the final version, but a preliminary version uploaded so I can get some comments and criticisms.

I will point out one thing: I'm already switching the second video and the first one.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Momonari kun posted:

The color switches noticeably in the first video in scene a few times (the one shot of the boy vs the two shot of boy and priest). I also don't know if it's Youtube, my computer or what, but most of the reel is pretty dark. In the first video it is hard to see their faces clearly, and the last video is just dark the whole way through.

Hmm, I'll have to work on that. It may be just youtube. Though that's the way the source looked. The cinematographer and gaffer weren't very experienced, so the lighting was pretty bad. I'm just hoping that the editing is good enough to make people say, "Well, the lighting wasn't his job."

I'm also pretty sure that if I lighten it any more, it may look like crap. It could also be the encoding. I was using one of the defaults in Compressor (I only really use compressor to make dvd video); it's something I should study further.

quote:

Also, in the second video, it's kind of a personal thing, but if it's music-only, and one with a prominent beat, it sounds strange all chopped up. I would just take the source music and put it over that section, kind of like what you did with the third video (unless you just put the whole thing in there).

Makes sense. Honestly, that's pretty much the whole video, but I took out a few cuts because there were one or two cuts that I thought were jarring. If you're interested in seeing what it looks like fully to compare, it's here.

And as for the last video, that's pretty much the whole video (except for the ending. It's a long story).

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Momonari kun posted:

Well, with reels/scripts/resumes/whatever, I always think that the person watching it is of the mindset of "any little thing off is a reason to choose someone else". I'd try brightening the clips a bit. If there's noise, it probably won't be too bad, especially on Youtube.

Point taken. I showed the reel to a friend of mine who was the sound editor for the first video. The first thing out of his mouth (well, via MSN) was that he hates the sound. The person who did the boom had never done it before (it was a class project), and the church scenes were the first scenes we'd shot, so she didn't have a chance to learn.

Oh, and I plan to put this up on Vimeo, if that makes a difference, since I used a different username (I figure my youtube username) to seem more professional or whatever.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

bassguitarhero posted:

BTW, does anybody teach Final Cut? I'm going in for an interview to teach FCP & general video production to youngsters - I used to do it at a film school in London, but that was more that I'd been hired for other stuff and sort of moved into teaching a few classes here and there.

I taught it last year during my last year at university as a TA to some first-years.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Momonari kun posted:

Well, with reels/scripts/resumes/whatever, I always think that the person watching it is of the mindset of "any little thing off is a reason to choose someone else". I'd try brightening the clips a bit. If there's noise, it probably won't be too bad, especially on Youtube.

So I've tried brightening, and it really does look like absolute poo poo. I mean, I can try upping the contrast or whatever, but because two of these videos are 480p already, it's going to be tricky.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Momonari kun posted:

Well, even if they have to stay dark, I'd still try to match the colors on the shots in the first video. The one shot two shot cut is really jarring as is.

I just got rid of it completely. I just... couldn't do anything. I put in another clip that's not dark.

Anyway, here's the second draft. I switched around the videos and put the full lighting project on there: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd-rjkXUCHo

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Momonari kun posted:

Sorry I'm late replying, but I think it flows much better now. I checked it again on my home computer, and the new one is not quite as dark as I thought it was, but it's still darker than I'd like.

I don't really like the scene you put in place of the priest and boy scene, though. The older kid actor's head is cut off, and there really is only one or two cuts. Also, since I'm on a better setup now, I can really understand about the bad sound. There are a number of missing/muffled sounds. I know you didn't do the sound, but in some cases (the missing hit sound from when the heavier kid throws the egg, the weak slap sound), I think you may need to add something else in there.

The two other pieces are much stronger, as they are really all about the editing, and they aren't overshadowed by production problems.

Edit:

Here's my updated reel, if anybody's interested:

http://vimeo.com/17528472

It's a bit more polished now. I took out a few scenes and trimmed down what was there.

Thanks for the comments. Sorry about the late reply. The holidays are murder in my house.

I unfortunately can't do anything about the sound, but I am going to move that middle piece to the end and take out that one scene, instead relying on the other two pieces.

Now as for your video: I like it. I have a few problems, though. "Silence," the piece that starts at around 3:30 seems awfully dim. Not dark like mine was, but very little light. Though I guess I can see that it's the fault of whoever shot it. There's enough light but only in certain parts. Makes me wish that people who do that kind of thing would understand that it's not about darkness but about contrast-- reminds me of the one group I worked with for another lighting assignment. We took turns lighting set-ups, and I'm the only one that put any decent amount of lighting. "It's film noir," they told me, "it's supposed to be dark."

...Sorry. I'd also change a few things around. The opening piece is also at the end, and it seems as if you run the same sort of thing twice. I'd get rid of the beginning one, since you do want to put your best work first.

Finally, the food video's kind of weird, since things are happening, but I don't know what. I mean, I get what it's supposed to be, but I think it might be more effective if I knew what they were talking about.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

MisterFreshman posted:

How hare are NLEs to learn? I've been playing with Sony Vegas for about 10 years to make little videogame frag movies or edit clips of friends and family stuff (parties, birthdays, etc). I'm fairly comfortable with the basics of the program which, on top of being a slow learner of new software, makes me hesitant to try learning on a non linear editing program. I get the feeling without a timeline I would get almost disoriented trying to keep track of everything.

This year I got back into playing with videos and me and some friends plan on making a short film. I'm trying to experiment with and learn After Effects, basically just going through all the videocopilot basic training + tutorials and the Lynda AE CS4 basics. Right now I add lovely special effects and stuff in AE, then render it in a lossless format and put it into Vegas to put the clips, transitions, and audio together.

Are there any "Go-to" places you guys generally recommend for learning more about editing? And, if this is the right thread, to learn about special effects as well?

First of all, depending on the program, there will be a bit of a learning curve (eg. FCP doesn't have one nearly as big as Avid), but most of what I can gather is that a lot of it comes down to doing more than just cutting and exporting the footage from the same source. That is, the cutting isn't the hard part. The hard part, in my experience, is learning all the various technical issues, like colour correction and exporting and converting, poo poo like that.

bassguitarhero posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, Vegas IS an NLE just like all the other major ones. Unless you're talking about node-based editors, but NLEs use timelines, it's just non-linear because you can move to any point on the timeline and manipulate it in a non-linear fashion. Unlike something like videotape where you have to rewind & fast forward to move your cue.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that's been my understanding of why they're called NLEs. I haven't used Vegas in over 5 years but I'm pretty sure it was considered an NLE even back then.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

Momonari kun posted:

I tried to show the different styles of editing I could do. The food video is just a straight interview, with no real interesting dialogue. I'll probably stick subtitles in there at some point, but it's really there because it's a more effect-heavy bit than the rest, which are much more straight.

I understand completely, it just seemed sort of jarring to me. I'm not saying you should get rid of it or anything, but just voicing the idea that most of your other pieces are dramatic narrative-types, and that one stands out a bit.

quote:

As for the opening and the ending, I like both equally, and really don't like "Karma" much at all, so I really don't want to start with that clip. The first clip from Chinese Winter is a slow establishing scene with some really tough continuity editing because it's shot with one camera only. I know that's all behind the scenes, but I think it's seamless and people who are in the know would pick up on it. It's also the opening of the film so it opens better than the other clips I have.

Good point. And yeah, that is the hard thing to realize when viewing something like this is to see who's responsible for what's good or bad.

quote:

I included the first Karma clip because it was a completely different style than the other ones, with multiple aspect ratios/video format, but it doesn't really have the impact I'd like to have for the beginning. I included each clip because of how much they differ from one another. The ending scene is similar to the first, but the dialogue bit at the beginning is good. The one scene I'm thinking about cutting is the scene in the comic book store right before that final clip.

Yeah, I understand about the multiple aspect ratios bit. I guess you can consider that it proves that you can do more than just "here's how to capture and edit with the default settings." I remember some of the people I went to school with who thought they knew how to edit, but only with the default DV settings and their exports always looked like poo poo. They were also the first ones to complain why FCP wasn't allowing them to do what they wanted it to.

Also, like you said, I'd get rid of the comic book store scene, too. It seems kind of straightforward, and I think you've already demonstrated that you can do that kind of cutting.

Edit:

Now as for my final reel: http://www.vimeo.com/18435126

I brightened it up a bit, and I had to sacrifice some image quality to do it. But I hope that whoever sees it knows it was a "they shot it too dark and I did what I could with it" situation. Especially since the first piece looks decent compared to the last two.

Edit 2:

Most of the work I've done isn't on that reel, unfortunately. A lot of the work I did was for projects that either look worse than that, for incompleted projects (eg. a cinematography project where the processed film came in too late for us to edit finally so the professor said, "That's fine, I'm not marking editing anyway," or my Community/BSG video), so I'm hoping that I can at least get to do a few shorts or something in Toronto so I can at least get some more experience and footage for a better reel.

mojo1701a fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

~ David Lee Roth

bassguitarhero posted:

Question about an editing reel: Do you edit the scenes in addition, or is it just clips from completed projects? I've done a bunch of short news segments and commercials, I don't have the original footage but I can get the completed videos from their websites, so would it be best just to stick some chunks from these together and title them? I figure it's about drat time I actually made a reel, I just never thought about how an editing reel would work.

Here's mine for reference: http://www.vimeo.com/18435126

If this is for editing, then I would try to show a few minutes' worth of scenes that you cut that try to demonstrate your best work. You don't have to do it like I did, but for an editor's reel, it's a different beast than a cinematographer's or a gaffer's reel.