Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I need to find a cheap miniDV tape deck to usb/firewire. I have a 5 year old Sony handycam that I have never gotten to recognize in Windows 7. I just want to record new stuff on it, and then dump the tape off with some kind of reader. Am I better off buying a new miniDV camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

1st AD posted:

Yep. There are no "cheap" MiniDV decks.

Ok, well it's time to hunt ebay for used HV20s then. Doesn't seem that best buy even caries anything that uses miniDVs. Thanks guys.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Maybe I'm assuming the wrong thing. I thought my miniDV doesn't work because its too old to work with windows 7 and figured anything else in the same range would be the same case.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I bought a Tascam DR-07 to get better audio, I recorded some dialog in .WAV and it sounds fine when I play the file. However, when I put it into Premiere it has this squelching and constant ringing in playback and the kicker is that when I export it back out, it sounds fine. So it sounds horrible while editing it. Any ideas?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
It's premiere CS5, the .wav is 48k stereo. I don't think any of the audio levels are clipping or peaking.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Well, I don't know what freak conditions I ran into. It was the first clip I had tried with this recorder. I recorded a new thing last night and everything is groovy. No more issues.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I'm using Canon HF200 and a Canon HV30 which I set to shoot at 24p. The HF200 is just drag and drop clips and I captured the HV30 footage over firewire. When I drop it into a premiere timeline, it's telling me that the clips are 29.97 fps? Is it really not recording at 24 fps?

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Ok, cool, well that's a little annoying. I was hoping to mix stuff from my D90 and camcorders and thought it would be easier than this. I'm really starting to feel for you video guys.

AIIAZNSK8ER fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 11, 2011

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Any recommendations for royalty free music for corporate videos? I need some instrumentals to go along with footage of heavy machinery operation.
I've been looking around and I like the stuff on Pond5.com, but wanted to see if you guys had any favorite libraries.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Roctor posted:

Hello editor goons.

What would you guys recommend for amateur editing software?

Premiere Elements is pretty awesome, I used it for a while before moving onto Premiere Pro.

I found another good music site, http://www.musicloops.com/ I imagine in the grand scheme of things, $40 for a song isn't that bad considering it's completely royalty free for any production. I was just completely unaware going into this how difficult it would be to find the right song. I also wish there was a way to grab the song with the audio watermark just to test it out and see if the client likes it before I drop the cash on it.

Has anyone tried out Hit Film editor? It's like After Effects aimed at a much lower price point.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
Does anyone have a recommendation for image stabilization? I don't have AE CS5.5 yet, which has the warp stabilization tool, which looks pretty bad rear end.
edit: I know tripod is prob the correct answer, I'm thinking of software solutions.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

ZenMaster posted:

I was looking at the D90. I have a ton of Nikon lenses (I even bought some of them here) so it has to be a Nikon product, I assume. Price really isn't a big issue, but I'd like to keep it under 1000 if possible.. only need the camera body.

Anyone know of a quality DSLR with a HD camera option? Thanks!

Do not buy a D90 for video capability, it has made me cry so many times in pain. I primarily shoot stills, and it is a fantastic stills camera, but the video feature sucks compared to any other camera. It was fun being the first DSLR for a few months to do video.

butterypancakes posted:

The D90 is not worth buying for video. The D7000 might be my favorite DSLR to shoot with... and by that I mean the most tolerable.

I've been thinking about the D7000 for video, does it do most of what you need it to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?
I had my first big wrestling match with After Effects tonight. I had AVCHD 1080p footage that was edited in Premiere and then I imported that time line into AE. I made some real simple lower thirds and a title sequence. The whole video is 2 minutes long. When I exported as full lossless .avi the file came out to be 25 gb and would not play smoothly on my machine at all. Eventually I scaled it down to 720p and it was still choppy. I then took that file and ran it through Media Encoder using h.264 because the end product is a web stream. What am I doing wrong if I want to keep it 1080p? The source 1080p files play perfectly and the RAM preview plays like butter and looks killer.