Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
It's fairly complex, but SUPER is quite effective (and free) for video conversion and I've had very good success with it and it has many options available. The main problem I've found however is it's kind of slow and it's interface is truly awful - but it works just like Buckley's.

As far as converting something, it's often not easy just because of the nature of codecs. I'm sure one day you'll be glad when you can edit most things in native formats, it's a lot less time spent. However for now you'll have to endure the hardships of re-encoding video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
My suggestion is to pick a movie that's not shot in 4:3, since adding in black bars on 16:9 is going to look really bad and won't give a sense of symmetry at all. Another solution would be getting a version of that movie in proper 16:9 if it's available. Yet another thing you could do is re-encode your iphone footage to 4:3, but it'll look bad if the movie footage is full screen.

I'm going to assume since you're in a film class, you should have access to something better than WMM. Your first mistake is using that in the first place. I suggest anything else, like Premiere Pro or Final Cut which either/both should be available. If you're wondering why WMM is terrible, it's because it's prone to crashing often and is very limited in its functionality.

I'm curious why you used your iphone for footage and not an actual camera of some sort, your class should give you access to some kind of equipment..right? I'm asking because anything shot in mobile video looks terrible because the sensor is so small, among other things.

Cubemario fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 16, 2011

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Agreed on the trial, I doubt many of us know much about elements besides it being a stripped down version. If that doesn't work, believe it or not FRAPS will let you capture your desktop very well so long as you monitor aero desktop (checkbox option). The quality is superb and it's totally compatible with premiere. It however will only capture your whole desktop, not individual windows.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
It really depends on what your recording video with.