Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry for what is probably a stupid question to you guys. I'm wanting to transcode 4k60fps h.265 video into something Premiere CC 2015 will like. I've downloaded and used handbrake to convert it into h.264 mp4s but obviously h.264 still isn't optimal for premiere. I'd like to try either ProRes or DNxHD (I'm on windows 7).

What's the goon-approved transcoder? They all look super malware-y when I google around. Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BonoMan posted:

If you have Premiere can you just download the DNxHD codec and use Adobe Media Encoder to do it?

I can't even pull the video from the h.265 into premiere to start this though.

e: And I'd like to be able to do batch transcodes as well now that I think about it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for all the responses. I only own the older 2015 premiere and not the newest one (trying to decide if I want to subscribe to it vs use other software). They don't support HEVC very well in the older one and I don't really want to encode into h264 because it's still a pig for editing apparantly. I'm hoping to find something external like handbrake that can do my transcoding. Powderific what do you use?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Do you have access to adobe premiere? Or the apple stuff like final cut pro?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

Hey all. I recently started a Youtube channel talking about film. My latest is about animation, and how it relates to the idea of "Flow" in psychology. I've been doing this for a couple months now, but still feel like a total amateur. I'd appreciate any and all advice folks would be willing to give, or general ways to improve my format:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A-PXJpWqKw&t=1s

This is really good.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I would almost suggest contacting some animation forums or hub websites for artists or something like that and seeing if they'd be interested in hosting the video or showing it on their front page or something. I could imagine it being popular.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah just transcode it into a size that is half the res then transcode that back up.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

I followed a bunch of advice goons and others gave me and think I've really stepped up my editing game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbkYH4tF_nY

Only thing is I work on both a PC and Mac and always hate doing sound mixing. This vid, for instance, sound completely different on youtube on PC/in editor on mac/on youtube on mac. With headphones everything sounds stupid crazy loud in Final Cut, too. I know that's a super newbie problem, but any general advice on this?

Are you using auto-level? I use premier so I'm not sure where you'd find it but I level the peaks on all audio clips/channels to -5db on my videos.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The B roll and overall video production is very good but in the monologue segments the host used the same sentence intonation for multiple lines in a row quite frequently (how her sentences started high and ended quite low like she was running out of energy speaking). I only noticed it because I found it a little irritating but I would never watch this kind of thing in the first place so I'm not a good representation of the target audience.

I think audiences on youtube etc want there to be a "we're looking for THE BEST ______" theme to these types of videos but I liked that yours wasn't about that.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Unmature posted:

Every loving goddamn time I export this one video from Premiere Pro it starts one of the audio tracks with a quick scratchy click sound that is not at all in the actual track and I can't figure out WHY

Did you accidentally bake it into the clip by doing that merge effects tool?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Aargh posted:

Anyone have any good sources for learning resolve? I figure I should put some of this working from home time to good use.

I think when I was learning (I'm still bad and learning tbh) I found a fantastic youtube series that was actually put out by Davinci themselves. I'm at work right now but take a look and see if you can find it. Failing that I'd just look up other youtube tutorials and kinda search for things as you come up against barriers. Or ask in here.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

FateFree posted:

Hi guys, I have a small one minute video that ends abruptly and I would like to extend the last few seconds and maybe add a fade out, but I don't have any video editing software. Can anyone recommend something simple, free, or online that can do this?

Davinci Resolve is free (for what you need it for), it's an intimidating looking thing but quite simple to add the media, drag it to your workspace, and drag the 'fade' effect onto the end of the clip (and a crossfade for the audio).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Its Coke posted:

Are there any editors for Windows that can use MKVs?

Best bet is maybe to transcode using handbrake or editready or ffmpeg.

e;fb

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Need to set up a 24/7 audio track stream on twitch. Is there a way to do this so that I upload the 24hr audio file somewhere and it isn't constantly streaming from my home network?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I've got a dumb quick question and can't find a better thread to ask it in, so I'll shoot here:

What's the trick to getting 1080p to look good on Youtube instead of absolutely terrible and excessively compressed? Video source is iPhone, and was at 1030p30 but I'm going to play around with settings until I find something that looks better. Is the problem that iPhones really prefer to use HEVC and I should force H.264? I'm wondering if it's getting converted and recompressed twice when uploading to youtube, once on-device to go from HEVC -> H.264 and again on youtube from H.264 to VP9 and their own H.264 encode. My videos look great when I transfer the HEVC file straight off of the phone to anything else, but uploading them to youtube from the phone turns them into highly compressed mud.

I've read youtube's docs here: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4603579?hl=en and they suggest uploading H.264 at an insanely high bitrate, "Bitrates of 50 or 80Mbps are common for videos intended for sale or rental." I guess the next step is to try having the iPhone compress as H.264 instead of HEVC, and seeing if 1080p60 or 4K gets me higher bitrates uploaded to youtube.

A lot of it is the bitrate and 50Mbps is not that high and would give better results. I use 80 for 1440p60.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

So I’m having a weird issue in Resolve (running 12.5 but I’ll be updating to 17 once I have this project completed) where I’m clipping down a bunch of MOV files but a few of them imported into Resolve without the audio. They’re all the same file format, and were all recorded from the same source on the same day with no technical changes during shooting. All the clips play fine with sound in VLC but won’t import with audio attached, even on a new project. I tried running the footage through HandBrake thinking that might fix things but so far nothing’s changed.

Any suggestions?

Maybe try installing resolve 17 on another device and checking the import. I've had a lot of issues with stuff not importing that resolved (heh) when I did system restarts so also try that. Maybe also start a new project and try important that stuff to see if it's a project-specific issue.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BonoMan posted:

Only use Adobe TypeKit fonts

I was going to post this exactly, it's the only solution unless you want to independently verify each time.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Any da vinci users? I had a friend upgrade his computer but said Da Vinci actually runs slower now than his old one (everything else runs fine). He said he tried looking at settings but nothing helped

It's worth him checking in the preferences menu:

Where specifically is he noticing it's slower? Maybe he's trying to scrub through full resolution files when before he had the preview window set to quarter scale res or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I'll ask

I've def not optimized my Premiere and previewed 4k and I'm only on a 1070 atm

granted that's premiere but still

Really has a lot to do with what files you're working with.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sarcastx posted:

Thanks for the heads-up; I'd been using 17.3.1 but this is 17.3.2. Will unplug two monitors and give it a shot.

edit: I unplugged two monitors, all USB devices but the keyboard and mouse, and even went and got the display drivers for my monitor (so rather than appearing in Device Manager as "Generic PNP Monitor" it now has the actual monitor driver).

womp womp

time to dust off my Hackintosh lol

Maybe try going in and removing any registry entries that have anything to do with it. I can't think of anything else.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I'm not a content production expert but I found resolve extremely easy to use and have done so to make several short info videos.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My Spirit Otter posted:

Might be a bit of a dumb question, but i really love that cable access tv look and was wondering if that was done with the camera or in editing

In-editing. Nothing is done in the camera essentially.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I assumed he meant the 'film' feel and those early 80s bottom third text overlays.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Hey guys. Got a reference (thank you TVGM) from the software/hardware board. I ripped my parents old VHS tapes onto the PC and unfortunately the audio and the video is just a little out of sync. VLC correction shows that I just need to delay audio by a few miliseconds. Of course you can't save the video with the audio correction. These are old...grainy videos. Really don't need a sophisticated program to analyze these things and attempt to make them perfect. I was recommended DaVinci Resolve....but even this seems like overkill for what I'm trying to do.

Any simple solutions? Or should I just suck it up and learn how to use Resolve?

You can do very simple and basic things with resolve very easily so I'd say go for that. You can even add in fades between scenes while you're in there doing the sync!

Is it a static delay (like it's always off by the same amount) or does it change throughout playback? If you skip around in the video does that fix it?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RestingB1tchFace posted:

I've skipped around a bit and it seems pretty consistent. So my guess is that it is a static delay. Just a slight pause caused by the Vidbox conversion.

And I am interested in seeing what cool things can be done with resolve. But the audio thing is priority number one.

I'll give it a look.

Thanks guys.

Just before you go through all that work, have you tried different players? Really want to make sure it's a problem in the file and not your playback.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Poo In An Alleyway posted:

Not really a question, just a scream into the void. I directed a short film back in November that took several days of production with 2 different DOPs. The second DOP was great and covered for the first one for pick-ups and knew exactly what she was doing and what the shots required, but we got most of the shots for the entire film done with the first DOP who was....terrible. Just the worst. I'm going over all the footage across the entire shoot at the moment and this DOP decided that the tops of people's heads just don't loving matter. He also told me multiple shots looked great and didn't have any problems or needed to be reshot when they were either completely out of focus or too dark to see anything. I'm gonna have to let my college lecturers know that I'm submitting a salvage operation of a short that I absolutely don't want screened anywhere.

Congrats, these constraints mean you just made an Art film! Sorry if this is obvious but you can adjust exposure and stuff when you do your grading, or separately. I don't know what your goals are with it but if you only had two days of shooting I'm guessing you'll be doing a week or two of editing, depending on your hardware you should be able to match the exposure, especially if you had similar locations and light on the second day for some of the scenes.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Hoping this is the right thread for this, expected to find a GoPro thread in gadgets but no such luck: I recently did a ride along in an aerobatic aircraft, and they took a bunch of GoPro footage of me which is great, but the footage is in 5 minute slices, and each one of those .mp4s is like 4 gigs. Any recommendations on programs and video settings to combine and sample that down into a workable size as a single video? I probably don't need the full 4k quality.

e: Full footage is 1 hour 20 minutes long, and my previous video editing knowledge is approximately zero.

Handbrake to transcode to a smaller resolution would work.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

styls trill epic posted:

A little something i was working on. Let me know what you think. I know it needs some refinement but I'm happy with the first pass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_Hmyhgt5ng

Video is private.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's giving students the tools they need to actually do the work (80% is fundraising) in the field. I think it's smart.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yep you can. Look up the read/write speeds if you'll be doing so, I think the Seagate Barracuda is a fast spinny drive but I haven't looked in a couple years.

Be aware that most people use HDDs for media storage etc so you'll see a lot of recommendations for that type of drive, or for network accessed storage drives.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

the_lion posted:

I work on commercials with mixed footage - sometimes I have RED footage, Sony footage and drone footage. What tends to happen is that we end up with multiple files with names like "DJI_001.MOV" from the drone shooters.

Is there a way to batch rename these to something more useful like "DJI_0001_shootname_location.mov?"

That way we'd know the exact piece of footage every time, people get confused when they're in similarly named folders or whatever.

That said, I'd be open to suggestions from people with more experience in this area.

Yeah, windows Powertoys (free) has a feature called powerrenamer or something like that which gives you additional options if you right click on a selection of the files, I think you could tell it to change everything with 'dji' in it to add a suffix like that. I'm on my phone but that should get you started.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

barclayed posted:

Hello! Wanted to ask what video editing software is best for a college student going into film production classes, or what my professors will be expecting me to know. The course description just says I should be familiar with sound and video editing (as well as cameras and lighting, but that’s a different story), and I’ve got the whole summer to learn.

DaVinci Resolve, absolutely no question. It's free and does everything you'll need. Some advanced stuff is behind a paywall but you won't need that stuff at this point. Have fun and good luck!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

No professional narrative or doco has ever been made in resolve, the workflow sucks and teaches you bad habits that will actively gently caress up real world workflows.

If you want to edit for a living, start on media composer. Don't waste time loving around with consumer grade stuff. There is a free version that is only limited in track number and export type.

If anyone in this thread that's recommended resolve actually edits long form for a day job I'll red text myself.

He's taking like intro to film 101 and probably will be learning how to change project settings, cut clips together, level audio, apply crossfades, understand rendering, etc. At that level it's all basically transferable knowledge and resolve is so similar to premier and similar tools that I think it's completely fine. OP if you're a disgraced James Cameron who is trying to make his next film by himself then yeah you *might* need something more complex.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SkunkDuster posted:

I started out with Hitfilm Express and am slowly moving towards Davinci Resolve. I'm not a professional editor by any means and never will be. Just a guy with a fledgling youtube channel using whatever is free to edit my videos. I never took any film classes in school nor had any other formal education in filmmaking. That being said, are there any good youtube channels that you can recommend that are on par with "film making for dummies" that I could use to make my videos a little better? I have no aspirations nor desire to become the next Kubrick or Ridley Scott. Just looking for some basic foundational material.

I've always found that there actually isn't a great single channel for learning (that I've seen). A huge problem in this space is that 99% of the people looking stuff up are people trying to be youtubers, so as a result the videos tend to appeal to those types of people and they're obnoxious. When I hit a wall where I can't figure out how to do something I'll generally just google around and watch a bunch of videos discussing similar stuff until I find one that answers my question. I would treat these videos like a reference and not something where you should watch everything by a single channel.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

thunderspanks posted:

So. I know there are professionally employed editors in here and to you I'm preaching to choir, but to the rest of you; the ones who are maybe editing on the side, getting the occasional professional gig, perhaps a bit on the younger and inexperienced end of the spectrum:

If you think there is a problem, speak up. Don't be afraid to say "this actually sounds like camera audio, are you sure there isn't a location recording that didn't get synced?"

-signed, someone who now has 4 days to mix and deliver a half hour doc that somewhere along the way got royally hosed and is entirely camera audio and going to national broadcast. 1 raised hand four months ago would have avoided what is about to become a very large problem.

Wouldn't this doc now become heavily voice-over'd instead of relying on the camera audio? Time to pick a central character that's already in some shots to act as the audience's chaperone and have them do a quick intro sequence about why the issue is so important to them, get them in the booth for VO segments? Good luck man.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Richlove posted:

I feel that Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects are both sluggish when I am editing the time line or composites. In fact I feel the entire Adobe CC suite runs sluggishly when I use photoshop or illustrator.
I did verify that my cache resides on one of the SSDs. In general, a 15 minute 1440p60 takes a bit over 30 minutes to encode based on how many effects are used on the timeline. Perhaps that is what is expected and I need to lower my expectations regarding encoding time. Like I said though, I am but a novice compared to all of you!

I think I read an article off there on video card benchmarks during my initial research and did not see a huge difference initially between the RTX 3080 and RTX 4090 on that particular site. Part of me feels that Intel has a slight edge on content creation over AMD but at the time I was looking for value for performance. As requested, I am currently running two Sabrent Rocket 2TB NVMe drives. My motherboard is a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite Wifi.

Thanks for your responses. The more I read, the more I figure I need to be satisfied with what I have and accept the performance as-is.

I would say it's not normal for videos to take longer than their playtime length to render but I look to the industry professionals in here to see if that's actually accurate. Certainly I would expect with resolve that a 15 min 1440p video with some effects would take around 5 min to render on my 9900k and 3090.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Any tips on how to quickly and perfectly match colors between two cameras in Resolve?

One is a Black Magic Pocket, so I've used the color... compressor? tool to change the input and gamma to the correct camera. I've then added a pocket 4k lut. The other camera is a Sony, and right clicking and matching the color really doesn't work well at all. I've fiddledwith them so they're kinda close, but grading isn't really in my wheel house.

This link gives three ways, hopefully one works. Is all the footage shot in sRGB or raw?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Trabant posted:

Hello again, thread. I've tried a couple of new things in my "here's a thing I made" YouTube videos and wanted to get your opinion on it. This is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mybgpl-228E

The biggest change is trying to film a more impactful reveal of the final product. If you want to see just that part, here's the timestamped link. There is a slight slide in/out, and I tried to pay more attention to the lighting as well. Of course, any other feedback is welcome.

This is the second-to-last of the projects I had filmed before actively trying to incorporate tips from those who know what they're doing. Hopefully I'll be able to incorporate some of that in the future.

This was much better than I expected! I think the narration works well, the music fits, the project is very unique and interesting. I only have small notes:

• I normally hate them in content pieces but I think for what you're doing (somewhat long format introspective narration over detailed craftmanship shots) you might be best served with a title sequence/frame that maybe presents your channel name and the title of your project. This would be very brief, maybe 3-5 seconds and would be stylistically similar across all the content you produce. I felt that your opening narration ("I can't say with certainty where the idea for this sculpture came from") was very strong and immediately grabbed my interest, but the immediate handheld footage sort of distracted me from it, even with the channel name and episode title. I feel like if you delivered the opening line without concurrently showing footage, it would be a lot more impactful. Someone who does a great job of this is the Clickspring channel. Take a look at this video and imagine that your opening narration is performed over this intentionally sparse type of title sequence, with a fade into your first scene (or maybe something less handheld).
  • What resolution and FPS are you capturing at? I found with the framerate that some of the pans were visually uncomfortable, due to I think the speed of the pan being a bit fast for the framerate of the video and the unsteady nature of hand-panning. I would experiment with stabilizing the footage during your pans and see if you like the result.
  • The reveal at the end was great. Don't be afraid to speed up/slow down b-roll footage of things rotating to add visual interest or to better fit the music you're pairing with it.

This is a personal thing but I think the comedy shot with the other clip in there didn't land for me and I would guess not land with most north Americans/native English speakers. You should do what you want and what makes you laugh but I think it's probably good feedback to provide. You don't need that at all! It's enough to watch someone do what you're doing and to hear you describe it. Another very successful craftperson channel to maybe check out is Wristwatch Revival. Note the lack of handheld shots - I think if you can get away from handheld footage a bit more you'd really notice a big improvement (or heavily stabilize them, shoot much wider than you think you need to if this is what you end up doing).

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 21, 2023

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Trabant posted:

Thank you very much for the feedback (and the kind words) VelociBacon, esp. since you watched the whole thing!

To address a few of your points:

- Being a fan of Clickspring myself, I can see why you suggest having a brief intro that allows for a smoother transition into the actual footage as I start the narration. I share the same general aversion to intro sequences that drag on forever, but maybe I can come up with something short and sweet that won't distract.

- My build shots are done on a (fairly middling) Samsung Galaxy A53, recorded via Open Camera in 1080p @ 24fps. The final reveal was done on a Nikon D3100 using the same settings. Frankly, I'd do all the recording on the Nikon but (a) it's heavy as hell, (b) eats through batteries like nothing else, and (c) short of hacking its firmware and having it overheat to death, I'm limited to shooting 10-minute segments which is guaranteed to cause me to miss important shots.

- I found a cheap used DJI OM 5 stabilizer gimbal thing which also has a really solid tripod and extension, so I'll use it on my next project. Hopefully it will remove the weirdness from handheld shots, but if it doesn't work I'll see how much of my work process can be adjusted. I just don't want to sacrifice the enjoyment of the work for shooting these videos.

- As for the Young Frankenstein bit, what can I say other than I'm a Brooks / Wilder fan :v: I really did feel that way when I broke the tool during the build, I can see how it would be a jarring interruption / tone shift. What I don't get is why it wouldn't resonate with North American / native English speakers?

Again: thank you for taking the time to watch my nonsense and write up your thoughts! I've gotten a lot of good advice from this thread and will do my best to incorporate it all as I work on more of my idiot projects.

Hey sorry I'm quite late to reply to this. I work shift work, saw this before my first shift in the set, and totally forgot to come back to it. Also, just noticed your av and I want to say that was one of the first games that I ever really got into, assuming it's Mechwarrior 2.

This is obviously dependent on your gear on the PC side but you can tether the D3100 directly to your computer if that's helpful - although it sounds like the 10 min maximum you're describing is more due to heat buildup. I shoot Nikons also but didn't know the 3xxx series had that limitation. The gimbal is going to make a huge difference! I don't know if I can speak easily to why the joke maybe doesn't land as well for native English speakers from North America, but my guess would be that comedic timing is much different culturally. To that end I think North American audiences (or maybe just me?) enjoy introspective Nordic narration, you see it in characters like Ahti from Control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-UUi6UzcTE

Anyways I hope you're working on some ideas for the next project, interested to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

To add to the above you should be setting white balance independently and without touching saturation sliders. You should at minimum have a dropper tool you can use to click on something neutral in the scene.