Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Been an avid hobby photographer for over a decade but never really cared for videography, until this skiing season where my kids are getting pretty decent at skiing and i got an Insta360 X3 camera.

Have a bunch of videos of my family shot during this winter and have started trying to turn them into small clips we can show to friends/family but not having much luck.

After using Insta360 Studio to reframe the video it is time to export it and here is where i think things go awry. The file sizes come out gigantic and they look like poo poo.

The export settings i have available are
Bitrate(measured in Mbps, lowest being 1)
Resolution
Encoding Format (H.264 or 265)

Im not very knowledgeable about movie files but i do remember movies i "acquired" in my youth were like 1gb for a movie 2 hours long and looking a lot better than this. I also seem to remember they were measured in kbps and not mbps?
Is it a software issue? Am i supposed to just use Insta360 Studio to reframe, export, then take the export to a different software?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Great, thanks 🙂

What is the workflow here? Reframe with Insta360Studio and export then export again with Davinci?
From a photography workflow perspective that doesn’t sound correct; exporting turns a raw into a jpg/png which kinda limits the ability to do further editing.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Huh i just expected the 360 degree video files to be proprietary and/or not really compatible with the workflow of a regular video editor, so i didn’t even consider that.

Great! I enjoy learning new software (famous last words)

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

VelociBacon posted:

Ohhh I didn't consider that they were 360deg video files, I thought it was just a dumb name for a product. Assuming the video is still recorded as a panoramic video you would be able to work on it in resolve, but yeah it might be really a pain and it may not export in some weird way that is required to view it somehow.

The company is called "Insta 360", the 360 camera is called "X3"
They have a normal action camera which is called "Ace".
So yeah, it is a 360 degree camera, but not because of the 360 in the name :D

josh04 posted:

Would say some of your assumptions here are wrong - the movies you ripped when you were young were likely DVD resolution and fairly poor quality. Youtube is fairly heavily compressed and still serves 8mbps 1080p files. Your Insta 360 X3 is recording up to 5.7K video, 8 times bigger than that, and in a quality sufficient that it can be edited and then reencoded and still look acceptable.

Sure, the movie files as recorded are 5,7k, but i exported to 1920x1080 (very comparable to the aforementioned movie files) but end up with far worse quality and a file size that has ballooned out of control. The suggested bitrate for youtube for example (as per the Insta360 tutorials) gives a file size of over 4gb for 2 minutes runtime. Compare that to the movies of old that were about 500mb per HOUR. And to make it even more bizarre, the source files (the camera records 2 files, 1 for each lens) are 450mb each, so 900mb for the full 5,7k resolution file.