Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hey guys, I'd like some application-specific advice for upgrading my editing computer.

I used to cut on premiere for my personal projects, but I recently bought into Davinci Resolve because updates are free forever and the price of a key was less than s year of premiere. I've been doing some configuration stuff and I really like how much more optimized it felt once I got CUDA going, but playback and export rendering is still generally pretty slow once I start layering on more advanced stuff like DNR and sharpening. (Disclaimer: I'm spoiled on export render times because my supervisor at work insists on Edius, which if nothing else has insanely fast output turnaround)

My question is, what would be the most efficient part to upgrade to address this issue? I'm running a Ryzen 2700x and a GTX 1080 and all storage is solid state, but I only have 16 GB of ram, and while I'm pretty sure that's not helping I wanted to make sure it's the main issue before I go buy a bunch of sticks. Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The interface is different across all of them but the fundamentals of NLE carry across resolve and premiere, the only real curveball is if they get to the class and theyre expecting you to know FCPX or something

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

No professional narrative or doco has ever been made in resolve

I’m gonna bet that this isn’t even remotely true, actually

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

It’s funny because all they had to do was *not* make such an easily falsifiable claim (for the record: The Killing of Two Lovers was edited, graded, and entirely finished in resolve according to the director, per about five minutes of googling). I don’t edit much anymore since I got into live production, but I still know several people who do, some of which are at reasonably sized houses, and while it’s still not high penetration outside of the grading module resolve definitely is, in fact, seeing a notable rise in use, especially among smaller operators who are looking for an all in one solution. Is it as good as AMC on a nitty gritty level? No, but it’s got much less of a learning curve and also is nominally free, which means there’s a larger number of people familiar with it that you can pool knowledge from. Acting like it’s trash software that will make you unemployable is some of the dumbest poo poo anyone has ever said in this thread, which has its fair share of dumb poo poo being said over the years.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kingo Ligma posted:

Are you an editor?

I haven’t edited professionally in about four years since largely transitioning to live event production, but that’s not really relevant to you talking out of your rear end about how NO NARRATIVE OR DOCO PROJECT HAS BEEN DONE IN RESOLVE, EVER, which is patently untrue with even the slightest amount of checking. And before you try to turn this into some loser-rear end credits-off: I literally do not give a poo poo about how much work you’ve done, you could’ve turned out a project every day for a hundred years and it wouldn’t give you universal knowledge of an industry the size of post production.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Lmao that movie grossed $100k and was self cut by the director. You may as well say Neil Breen uses resolve. Wait, are you actually Robert McMahon?

Lol nice goalpost shifting, idiot

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 6, 2023

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

This is a really weird attempt at an own, not sure what you think your strategy here is

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

You could always be like me and go with Hitfilm Pro 7 because it was the easiest to pirate (and then go legit later when your partner buys you a perpetual license as a gift) :grin:

I worked for a guy for a while who was inseparably attached to Edius, pretty much the only guy I’ve ever seen in the wild using it. He wasn’t even working in a grassvalley ecosystem, it was just what he used.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Bonk posted:

I'm also currently in the market for an affordable jog wheel if anyone has recommendations. Doesn't need to be on the keyboard, those all seem to be stupidly expensive.

I believe the contour shuttle express is still largely considered to be the best standalone jog wheel on a budget, it’s like $60 and has a couple macro buttons in addition to the wheel itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Handbrake has a cropping function if all you need is to delete pillarboxes.