Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
In Premiere: If you have a texture file with matching edges (so that you don't see any edges when animated) you can just use the offset effect and keyframe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

EL BROMANCE posted:

So my workflow is pretty much set

MiniDV to computer via a DVCAM deck and DVRescue
That file through Topaz to deinterlace and upscale to 1440x1080p50 square pixels and exported in ProRes
Edited in Final Cut Pro (and some annoyance their 1440x1080 preset doesn’t actually work)
Exported in ProRes

Result looks really as good as I could ever expect my SD interlaced tapes to ever look, and worth the day long processing.

Upload that pro res to YouTube and… it looks fine. Not great, but fine. Way better than before, but just not as nice as the file I’m feeding it.

Is there anything further I can do? I’m sure it’s simply just a case of seeing the before and after and being able to pixel peep and see where the bitstarving happens. It’s darker footage as it’s all gigs in badly lit clubs, so it’s hardly the world’s best exposed footage (luckily I had a PD150 as my main). Anything more I can do to wring out a bit more bandwidth from them that isn’t a complete time sink is appreciated.

Convert the ProRes files to H.264 4K (or rather 2880x2160) at ~60Mbps for the YouTube upload. Then it should end up looking just as good as the ProRes image.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Schwarzwald posted:

Asking as a hobbyist: when rendering a video, how do you choose bitrate?

I'm asking because I made a handful of small edits to something and was shocked the finished project was four times the original. Poking around, the original had a bitrate of 2500kbps while the default render settings were set to 20000kps.

Now I had been reluctant to play with any settings I didn't have to, but after scaling the bitrate down to around the original I'm back to a file size that will fit on a pen drive.

There’s no secret to it. Bitrate is always a compromise between acceptable quality and acceptable file size and this will be different for different people or projects. Of course, as you’ve experienced, If your source material is at a lower bitrate and you didn’t add lots of animations or effects then it also rarely makes sense to have the output bitrate much higher than what you started with, assuming you export in the same codec of course.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

NotNut posted:

Does anyone know of software to take a 4:3 video that's been letterboxed to 16:9 and get it back to 4:3?

What OS are you using? In the Apple world you could just do this in the Photos app, both on Mac and even on the iPhone you can crop video there. In Windows, you might have to install something like Filmora.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Captain Log posted:

Quick Question, and this might be the wrong thread.

What's the best program for recording raw video using Apple's Continuity Camera feature? I've got something I need to film as a "pilot" to see if it works. I want to use my iPhone's big rear end fancy camera, from the view you would expect of a streamer, video blogger, or video podcaster. Just a static shot, using continuity camera for the ability to use my laptop screen as a monitor.

QuickTime Player or OBS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
You need to re-encode mkv files to something more editing-friendly to work with them properly. The main advantage of mkv is that they don’t break if the recording is interrupted for any reason. If you can live with re-recording in the (unlikely) case of a recording failing it is ok to directly record to H.264 in OBS.