Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Paper Diamonds posted:

Is there any recommended program for converting .mov files to .mp4? I downloaded the free trial of Adobe After Effects but it doesn't like .mov files. A quick google shows a ton of converters but most want money and the free ones look like viruses.

AE works just fine with mov files... What problem are you encountering? As far as free converters... Use handbrake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

powderific posted:

I'm starting to play with some motion tracking stuff in After Effects and I'm curious as to what governs its performance. It seems to take forever, but looking at activity monitor my CPU is barely spiking at all. I'm on an quad core i7 MBP with 8 gigs of RAM, working off of a FW800 drive. Could the FW800 connection be slowing it down somehow?

Huh. I did some emergency motion tracking on a Best Buy laptop (Lenovo with 6 gigs of RAM and some blah mobile i3 processor) a few weeks ago and it flew through it. 720p footage, tracking about 20 to 30 seconds worth of footage.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Looks like Bunim/Murray is dropping FCP in lieu of Avid. Interesting.

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/04/reality-tv-producer-bunimmurray-drops-final-cut-for-avid/

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Peacebone posted:

Question:

I interned with a guy writing for a local TV show and helping assist with production a in August for three months and didn't really have that great of an experience (Didn't get paid either).

He emails me asking if I want to edit some reality TV shows he's trying to pitch out to networks. $150 per episode. I think this is on the cheap scale, but then again I don't have that much editing experience.

My question is how long do you think it would take to edit a (30-45min) episode and is this a super lowball amount of money to be paid to do it?

It is ....ridiculously low ball.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Teenage Fansub posted:

Yo. A little bit of Avid help, if you please.
I've got backups of cards for a show for AMA consolidation and all that. I'm fine with what to do regularly, but I've got a few instances of files split over multiple cards and I can't figure out how to get Avid to read the whole split take as one.
For example, Card 12 will have 'SHOT123_01', Card 13 will have 'SHOT123_02'-'SHOT123_04' and Card 13 will have 'SHOT123_05'.
When loading the AMA from the first card only that part will show up. 6 minutes out of a 40min take. The parts of SHOT123 will not access on their own, so I can't even build it out of three or five chunks.

Anyone know what to do to get this to load in as a single file?

I'm sorry I can't help you, but on the subject of Avid importing. Is it possible to link multiple AMA files at once? I can't figure it out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Is there some sort of channel other than eBay to sell production equipment?

We just closed down our Tampa facility and have tons of rack mounted equipment. They were a post/finishing/editing facility so it's all decks and smoke (2009 not upgraded) and other stuff. The most expensive piece being an HDCam deck.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Moon Potato posted:

It's probably worth posting your inventory on DVXUser and seeing if anyone's interested.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?17-For-Sale-or-Want-to-Buy

Hey thanks!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Mozzie posted:

Does anyone recommend how to convert a premiere project file's assets into dpx or a tiff image sequence? I currently have a project in muxed cineform but I want to generate either dpx or tiff for discrete left and right eyes for working in after effects? Because cineform 3D is poo poo, half the time when I switch eyes in neoplayer it refuses to refresh in after effects without clearing the cache completely)

I'm not exactly sure what you're doing, but After Effects exports to DPX and Tiff sequences.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bassguitarhero posted:

Last but not least, when you're happy and ready to export, be sure to go into your camera moves and set your keyframes to "ease" (F9 key, also duplicate your comp before you do this), in the youtube video you had a keyframe change from moving to the side to pull back and without the "ease" the camera just hard-starts in new directions, but you want to smooth that animation out so be sure to set your keyframes to ease before you render.

Yeah this was gonna be my main suggestion. Easy those frames in and out! F9 sets to ease in/out but you can also go through and set to just ease the "in" or just ease the "out." Under "Animation -> Keyframe Assistant" you should see some more options.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have an After Effects question.

I'm doing a favor for a friend and it' s sky replacement/building cutout.

Basically we have a nice angular building in the foreground and a parking garage hotel in the background. I need to cut out the hotel/parking garage.

Typically I'd just do this with a mask but it's proving difficult as gently caress for some reason. No matter what I do the mask always seems to bobble a frame behind. I suspect it's just the camera move having micro bobbles or something. Either way it's preventing me from efficiently cutting out the buildings.

I was wondering if there is some other trick I'm missing. Since the shape in front (that I want to keep) is very distinct and angular it's pretty easy to make an accurate mask of. Is there a way to just say "ok I made this mask one time...now track this mask to the building" or something like that?

It seems like something that can automatically track the outline would be nicer than having to manually adjust the loving mask. Does Mocha help with this?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

You're making the building shaped mask on the sky layer, correct?

You can use motion tracker in after effects to track the position of the building. Find a small point with clear delineation between two areas, like a light window on a dark part of the building or something.

You track that motion and after effects provides you with a series of keyframes that follow your track point. You can then apply those to the position of your sky layer, and use the anchor point to adjust your sky layer so the mask meets the building properly.

You're going to want your sky background to anchor to your building rather than just floating the mask around, otherwise it will look like your buildings are floating in mid-air.

Sorry I may have misstated what I needed.

We have a long jib shot of a building with two buildings in the background. I want the back two buildings removed. So I've masked the building I want to keep out. And tried to manually animate the mask to match the building through the shot. But it's a large move with a full tilt that changes the perspective a bit. So animating the mask around the building is proving tough.

I'm not having trouble matching the sky to the back...just getting a clean mask around the building that doesn't bobble around during the move. I'm messing around with Mocha right at the moment.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

buttopticor posted:

I got no response from the Windows Software thread, and even though this isn't really the level of editing generally discussed here, I figured people here would either know or be able to direct me to a more appropriate thread.

I have some MPGs that play fine in Media Player Classic, and I'd like a simple Windows 7-compatible program to make clips from them with (I literally need to do nothing else). I tried Mpg2Cut2, and while it technically works, the video doesn't show up properly in it (maybe this is related to Aero shutting off when I load a video?).

Windows Movie Maker?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mayodreams posted:

I am not an editor, so I don't want to post any bad info. I do, however, support video editing and 3D graphics from an IT standpoint. The 3D boxes I built for my consulting client are dual socket Xeons, with 6 cores a pop, 48Gb of ram, and a Geforce GTX 580. The 6 series GF cards (Kepler) on the market do not have the compute performance of the older Fermi (4xx and 5xx) cards, which is why you saw benchmarks suggesting that. IIRC, Nvidia lowered the clockrate and doubled the CUDA cores on the 6 series, so its about a wash or a bit slower than a 580. Big Kepler isn't out yet, and might only be in Quadro/Tesla cards that are due later this year.

Don't go nuts and drop $500+ on a Nvidia card before you know for sure it will help. Are you rendering in Premiere? Or are we talking After Effects or another app?

Interested to know why you go with a GeForce card instead of a Quadro card when you're outfitting your guys with Xeons and 48gigs of RAM. And I'm not phrasing that sarcastically...I'm actually interested as it's something unique to a situation that I'm about to run into.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yuns posted:

Premiere Pro CS6 claims its an unsupported format or damaged file when I try to import it into a project. Sony Vegas Pro and Davinci Resolve don't work on the file either. BUT After Effects digests and plays the file just fine.

They just need to combine PP and AE into some sort of super program already. AE ingests anything I throw at it and obviously has superior anim/motion graphic capabilities, but severely lacks any basic editing capabilities that PP has like, oh I don't know, loving real time playback?

I get it ... two different programs for relatively different purposes, but they're used hand in hand so much why not combine them?

And seriously why can't I get any loving realtime play back in AE? gently caress.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Pro Tools is the best.

I could never get into Logic because setting up instruments was just absolutely bewildering to me, whereas you can set up tracks with a couple clicks in Pro Tools. I know this isn't relevant to audio editing from a video context, but Pro Tools just felt more intuitive to me.

For FCP7 I think Soundtrack is actually a really viable option, and it roundtrips pretty easily.

Ha this is me whenever I sit down at an Avid (I use Premiere primarily, but at work we use Avid). It's better in the newer versions, but until we upgraded it was mostly me sitting there going "drag it onto the track. Drag it onto drat track. Goddamnit just drag onto the track why the gently caress can't I just grab this clip and put it there Jesus Christ!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also Adobe Prelude, which I've only just started using to log and ingest clips, has a nice commenting/tagging/subclipping system that carries over seamlessly to Premiere when you get ready to edit.

Here's a screen shot of the short I'm editing...you can see where I made a comment (the green line on the clips in the timeline) in Prelude. This is from Premiere though. When I brought it in the clips automatically carried their comments with it which is nice. Because I'd look back and go "oh poo poo I totally forgot you can see the camera in the reflection in this shot!"

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeavisNuke posted:

+1 for Adobe Prelude. I love that thing. It lets you pick out the best clips from long interviews so much faster than listening to them in Premiere. I was trying to convince a wedding editor that he wouldn't need to hire a rough cut editor if he had that software but he wouldn't listen.

And Hover Scrub is absolutely amazing. Just move the mouse left to right over clips in your bin and their thumbnails scrub through the clips. So so useful for long shots.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ziploc posted:

You guys might hate this question.

But I've always been curious as to how people get the typing effect. Where you hear some keystrokes, and the letters go across the screen.

Also, how did they do the Cow/Spoon text in this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ywBQHRuiRk&t=78s

It can't be a million titles right?

What program are you using? After Effects, for example, has a ton of different text animation presets that come with it by default. Type in by character, word, whatever. You essentially add the preset to the type layer then adjust the Animation Range field to time it out like you want it.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

amitlu posted:

Total beginner question here, but can someone tell me what the name of the effect is that creates the outer edge highlighting in this video on the superimposed hand in the foreground?

It really depends on your program as to what you'd use to create that effect (and therefore what it might be called specific to that program), but generally I'd call that a "stroke." And it has a drop shadow applied with hard edges.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

amitlu posted:

I'm using Adobe Premiere Elements 11. It doesn't seem to have a 'stroke' effect but I have found the drop shadow and have been messing around with that. I can't figure out how to make it go in every direction instead of just one though, to highlight something instead of give the 3d shadow effect.

For a drop shadow, you'll want to find the distance parameter and make it zero. Not sure if that's available in Premiere Elements though.

If there's no stroke effect in PE, you can maybe try to duplicate the layer, scale the bottom layer up a tad, and then take it's contrast/brightness all the way down. So you have a darker version of the same layer (thus making the same movements) that sort of fakes a stroke effect. Only thing is it won't be equa-distant in every direction. It's definitely a poor man's effect.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

amitlu posted:

I couldn't get the drop shadow to work right but I achieved the effect I was looking for with the 'glow' effect and messing around with some of the sliders. I also tried using a duplicate layer like you suggested and although that doesn't look quite right I understand better how these layers work and their priority. Thanks for your help!

Ah yeah the glow. I actually use that in After Effects a lot to get a good stroke from time to time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

KasioDiscoRock posted:

Can anyone help me out with some information about colour correction services?

I currently work at an audio post-production house but we've been losing some business to other audio places that are offering video/audio in one place. My boss has tasked me with researching what it would take for us to be able to offer in-house colour correction which is something I am completely clueless about. The only lead he gave me at all is that he knows of a place who just started offering this with a program called DaVinci. Obviously if we did go ahead with this we'd hire someone who had experience with it, but for right now I just need to figure out what it would take to even get us to that position. Thanks!

Here's the link to DaVinci Resolve:

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

It's a great program, starts at a grand, but the control surfaces are what can get expensive.

Avid offers some of their own control surfaces too, and when we built our Avid suite a few months back they were actually quite a bit cheaper.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Artist-Color

Another option is that if you're toying with adding a color correction suite to your services, why not go whole hog and add editing as well.

If you're losing business JUST because of Coloring, then I'd not bother, but odds are the "video" part of companies that offer audio/video services also includes editing so that might be something you want to look at.

In that case you can aim at an Avid system with Artist Color mixer and tack on DaVinci Resolve or use the new Avid MC Coloring system which is not as robust as DaVinci, but still pretty strong.

Either way, you'll still need the calibrated HDTV and monitors that Chitin mentioned.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A smug sociopath posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with using Neat Video? I'm in need of a noise removal plugin for Premiere, and about to pull the trigger on it, but I'd like to know if there are any complaints/limitations on it, or if there are any competent alternatives.

I've had good luck with RE:Vision Effects DE:Noise.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'd use Premiere... just in case. I think there's a shift away from FCP into Premiere (and even back into Avid to an extent), so might as well learn what people will be using.

It's not going to make it or break it though. Just learning the skills and pipeline management of NLE's in general will help you out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BeavisNuke posted:

Have you guys tried the pancake timeline method in Premiere? It's pretty neat. Supposedly Fincher's editors for the social network and girl with the dragon tattoo used it.

http://vashivisuals.com/adobe-cs6-5-editing-tips-for-music-videos/

This is a great article and it's just generally loving awesome that we can do all of that within one suite of software, on a DIY machine sitting in your home office.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I've had a weird problem exporting to ProRes in Resolve - random frames will be rendered with posterization and a seemingly reduced color palette. The DNG's don't have these issues and I don't see them in Resolve during playback. This is rendering with a custom LUT with a Macbook Pro - the first-generation Thunderbolt model.

Any ideas?

Not sure if it's related at all, but what kind of HDD are you rendering to?

I've encountered a shitload of rendering problems lately going from AE, Premier or AME. It was giving me some weird rendering artifacts on certain frames. Turns out I was rendering to an HDD that apparently was starting to fail or "get really slow" ... and that's what was introducing the artifacts. Switched to render to a local SSD and the problem vanished.

This was primarily for Avid DNxHD and Animation codecs.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

I'm rendering to a G-RAID Thunderbolt drive array, so just a pair of 7200 rpm SATA drives.

I mean a Thunderbolt array should be fast enough. Only thing I can think of is a drive I/O problem or something. Do you have an SSD or something fast you can render to as a test?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

You want to know what's the worst post-workflow ever?

Having to prep DNG's for a Lightroom grade (yeah, the photo editor), wait 5 billion hours for somebody to finish doing that grade, export tiffs from there, export those into an image sequence and then match it back up to your cuts :emo:

The gently caress? Who is doing an image sequence grade in Lightroom?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Just the one with the dad and kids - simple setup too, just blasted 3 LED lights towards the wall that's off screen/camera left and put a gigantic scrim in front of that mess, used another scrim to bounce some of that light towards camera right).

The rest was all done with whatever light conditions were present at the time of shooting, generally just after sunrise or just after sunset.

It looks great!

What kind of LED lights do you use?

Also, different topic, I won a Zacuto Marauder from those guys and it came in the other day. For the love of God, for how expensive that stuff is you'd think there'd be at least SOME packaging. Nope...just product wrapped in bubble wrap in a cardboard box. It is sturdy as poo poo though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Moon Potato posted:

Just a heads up - the latest update to Premiere CS6 can do this to your existing projects:

Removing and reapplying effects and transitions fixed it, but it's probably wise to do what I didn't and finish your current work before upgrading.

Don't see the problem there... looks awesome. You are making the new Radiohead video yeah?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Yip Yips posted:

But I'm perpetually in the middle of at least one project :(.

If we see a big update coming, we'll actually schedule a day or two for it on our Post calendar so that nothing can get booked during that time.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Can't be worse than Final Cut 2 inexplicably quitting and forcing a reboot on OS9 systems because it ran out of memory, giving you no warning or prompting beforehand which meant if you weren't diligent about saving every minute you'd be screwed :downs:

Avid Media Composer 5 did the same damned thing just recently. Huge memory leak problem.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This is probably a long shot, but any way to set up a basic batch script that will jump ahead a certain amount of frames and print screen/screenshot it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dillbag posted:

Videocopilot.net has some good, free basic training.

And their plugins and assets packs are loving ridiculously cheap for what you get.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thehustler posted:

Quick After Effects question:

I have nested a comp (call it A) inside a comp (call that B). I would like the A comp to start from the beginning at the point where it comes in on the B Comp.

But it doesn't. It seems the running times for both comps start at the same point. So when the A comp comes in 15 seconds into the B comps timeline, it's already run 15 seconds itself.

I can get around this by shifting everything in the A comp 15 seconds to the right, but it's very inelegant. Is there a way to fix this properly?

Instead of shifting the elements inside the comp A why not just shift the comp A itself on the timeline?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

1st AD posted:

Holy crap did they raise the price? Iirc it used to be $100 for the full version.

I don't know, but Rode has a sort of long standing deal where you get it free with the purchases of the VideoMic Pro

http://www.rodemic.com/pluraleyes

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Fredski posted:

This is the finished video for the major project I was discussing earlier - feel free to question, comment and/or criticize, keen to hear all feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3eH9hoZ4O4

All 3D work done in Maya 2013 and rendered with Vray, composited in NukeX 7 and edited in Avid.

My first kneejerk responses are "why is the Robot's voice and the VO guy's voice the same?" and "the robot is lit way too brightly in the scene where he's looking at the painting considering he's standing in direct shadow."

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

DammitJanet posted:

What a lovely thread to find!

Couldn't help noticing some flagrant (though fairly well-executed) use of Video Copilot's Element 3D plugin and Metropolitan pack in this new advert for the next Call of Duty turd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AMgmCx7jFg

While I think their plugins are nice, I can't be the only one who's sick to death of seeing their Optical Flares plugin used in almost every goddamn movie and commercial these days, can I?

Ha well it's a combination of the plugins being really awesome and REALLY loving affordable and Andrew Kramer himself does a lot of secondary shot and title f/x work in the industry!

But yeah like ten times a day I see a uniquely identifiable flare pro preset I've used before!

Also we're hiring an animator and I'm perusing through demo reels and a ton of the have VCP tutorials in them!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
We did an intro logo animation for a production company and Technicolor is requesting the sequence in 10bit log DPX.

I'm in After Effects and can export 10bit DPX just fine, but am unfamiliar with the appropriate way to export log DPX out of AE.

Help!

Is it as easy as just checking "logarithmic conversion?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Reverend Dr posted:

The encoder in AE is awful, which is why Adobe is pulling some of the 'support' for it and you should never use AE to encode anything in the first place (they've been trying for years to just get people to stop encoding from AE). Either export raw (raw avi or tiff/png sequence) and transcode or bring the AE project file itself into media encoder. Both are faster than trying export from AE (I recommend the raw export opposed to bringing the AE project into media encoder). Though do remember to check your project bit depth and output bit depth even when exporting raw.

In regards to your question, I'm fairly certain it should just be as simple as checking "logarithmic conversion", though that's not a format I work with.

I always use Media Encoder. I just go to "Export to Adobe Media Encoder" from AE's menu. So when I say I export from AE, I mean I export from AME directly out of AE.

Anyway I could never really figure out the best workflow (I tried to email both the editor on the project and the Technicolor DI guy...got zero response). Ended up using a Cineon Log converter effect in AE and going out to a 2K DPX File (without logarithmic selected in the exporter...just the Lin2Log converter in the AE effect) and that seemed to do the trick.